Don't understand why so complicated ?

By on February 20, 2013 5:40:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

rdalev

Join Date 03/2007

I've used CursorFX for years. Recently did a full disk recovery and re-installed CursorFX and..................

1. Finally got one new cursor installed and running and now can't change it !

2. Why doesn't the cursor package you download , install directly to the CursorFX program ?

3. Have uninstalled CursorFX, completly, all files, did a restart, re-installed CursorFX and the same Cursor that I had installed on the now deleted CursorFX, is still there and unable to change it !

When I find a cursor I like, where do I save it to ?

Thanks for any help and running Windows 7 here !

14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 20, 2013 6:00:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

CursorFX when installed correctly should have no problems changing from a theme to the system default.

I have found that after installing a program doing a reboot is often needed.

What version are you using? (click on About)  Free or Plus?

edit: A corrupted CursorFX Theme file can cause issues but we can check that a little later.

February 20, 2013 6:21:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I just completely uninstalled CursorFX and all related files and folders. Re-installed CursorFX, rebooted and the same cursor, Desktop Warbird, that I had downloaded on the earlier version of CursorFX is present and cannot be changed, even when I try one one the pre-loaded cursors on the CursorFX program.

Also, when I download a new cursor, where do I save it to. Tried Libraries/Documents/Stardock/CursorFX/Themes ! New cursor will show up there but is not available to apply, in the program itself !

Using the free version, which I've used for years, no problem and was going to buy, but if I can't get new cursors to work, might have to uninstall and forget it !

Thanks for your quick reply Big Dog !

That Desktop Warbird cursor is driving me nuts !

February 20, 2013 6:29:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sorry Version 2.11 downloaded from Cnet !

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 20, 2013 6:36:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When you download a .cursorfx file all you need to do is double-click it to install it automatically into CursorFX.

It sounds like you have an installation issue.  I'd suggest installing again and making sure any security software is temporarily disabled, and that you are running it as an admin.

February 20, 2013 7:08:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ok. Just reverted to the boring Windows 7 cursor. Right clicked on CursorFX, ran as administrator, opened and BAM ! There's old reliable "Desktop Warbird" cursor, up and running and cannot be changed, unless I revert back to the windows cursor !

For the 3rd time, I'm going to uninstall CursorFX, remove ANY Stardock/CursorFX files and folders and reboot.

Then going to download the free version via CNet, that Stardock sends you to, reboot, run as admin and see what happens !

Can you not download and install more cursors, using the free version ?

February 20, 2013 7:36:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting rdalev,
Can you not download and install more cursors, using the free version ?

Yes, you just can't recolor, resize or add effects.

How are you uninstalling CFX? Add/Remove leaves too much junk behind. You won't get a clean install. I use Revo Uninstaller to remove it.

Revert to Windows cursor first.

Run on Moderate, then scan with it and remove only the things marked in bold print. You can get Revo free HERE.

Reinstall CFX.

February 20, 2013 7:54:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OK, just finished re-installing CursorFX, after un-installing using add/remove and also deleted all stardock files leftover !

Opened CursorFX, running as admin and guess what cursor is listed at top as current theme? Yep, Desktop Warbird !

And after I apply it, which it shouldn't be there as I had downloaded it using an earlier version of CursorFX, that I had un-installed, it will not let me use any other CursorFX themes ! WTH?

Anyways getting late for me. Will try revo tomorrow and want to thank all of you for your input, so far !

February 20, 2013 8:45:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Support has a fix. 

Email them. 

February 20, 2013 8:58:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The link....

support@stardock.com

March 4, 2013 2:04:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OK, got the pesky problem above solved with help of Stardock support and you people here............thank you !

Now, the next question !

I'm trying to download and install some new cursors, which is what caused the problem above and I do not want to go there again !

Where do I save the cursor, I'm downloading, to ? Would think downloading and installing new cursors would automatically know where to install to, especially since I'm using the link provided in the CursorFX program itself !

Thanks in advance !

March 5, 2013 1:57:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bump!

March 5, 2013 2:16:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

In W7 goto Documents > Stardock > CursorFX > Themes and put the *.CursorFX file there.

March 5, 2013 2:56:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Actually CursorFX files go in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Stardock\CursorFX\Themes

March 5, 2013 3:31:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting rdalev,
installing new cursors would automatically know where to install to
If you double-click on a cursor file, it will self-install and go where it needs to go.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.