Windows Explorer crashes every few seconds Win7 62 bit

By on February 16, 2013 8:03:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sbolton2

Join Date 07/2012

Windows 7 64 bit.  Windows explorer crashes every few minutes when I use fences.

Super irritating.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

SB

33 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 16, 2013 9:37:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Open a command prompt and type sfc /scannow (make sure there is a space between sfc and the /) and press enter, let the function finish, then reboot your PC. Should help hopefully.

February 16, 2013 10:03:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks.  I will give it a try.

SB

February 16, 2013 10:22:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I did as you said and I got the following message:

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

Any other ideas.  Can I use an earlier version of Fences?

Thanks

SB

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 16, 2013 10:35:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sbolton2,
Can I use an earlier version of Fences?
If you are an ObjectDesktop subscriber, you can get Fences Pro (version 1.10) from the store. https://store.stardock.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/myaccount

What gfx card/drivers are you using?

February 16, 2013 11:00:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

what is a gfx card?  Graphics card?  I don't know.  Can I buy one from Walmart which is the only store I live by?

I have the paid version of Fences.  What is Object/Desktop?  If I knew that would help I would do it.  This is very frustrating.

Thanks for any help for a beginner.

SB

February 16, 2013 11:35:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I bought fences 2.0. Can't I download an earlier version of that for having bought the fences program.

Explorer crashing coincides with every time I try to use fences.

What is going on?

SB

February 17, 2013 2:12:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"Explorer crashing" tells no one anything.....what's the error say? (and don't say 'Explorer has stopped working'. It's in your Control Panel/ Administrative Tools) 

February 17, 2013 12:47:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sbolton2,
I bought fences 2.0. Can't I download an earlier version of that for having bought the fences program.
I would say no, since you wouldn't have a working serial key for an earlier version.

February 17, 2013 12:51:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting yrag,
"Explorer crashing" tells no one anything.....what's the error say? (and don't say 'Explorer has stopped working'. It's in your Control Panel/ Administrative Tools) 

Hey Dumbass. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I doubt that a beginner who doesn't know what a graphics card is will know what to do in administrative tools.

Are you looking for work?  

February 17, 2013 1:56:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Hey Dumbass. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I doubt that a beginner who doesn't know what a graphics card is will know what to do in administrative tools.

I figured that one out all by myself, shit-for-brains (he'll just have to fast track the learning curve like everyone else) and no I'm not looking for work. That was for anyone trying to help him something to go on.... "my computer crashes" just doesn't cut it.

.....and when I say "anyone", I mean anyone but you. You and a few others around these here parts should just shut their computers down and go buy a fuckin' dog.

February 17, 2013 2:18:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting yrag,
.....and when I say "anyone", I mean anyone but you. You and a few others around these here parts should just shut their computers down and go buy a fuckin' dog.

Just FYI, Dumb Shit, I have three dogs and they don't know shit about their computers either.

February 17, 2013 3:34:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay. My two cents.

@sbolton2: Open your start menu, click on control panel. Go to administrative tools and click on event viewer. It will tell you what happened and when. Then take a screenshot and post it here so we can see it. If you don't know how do this. Open start menu. You should see snipping tool, click on it. When it loads drag a rectangle around the text in the event viewer. It will save it as a jpeg in your pictures folder. The go to www.photobucket.com. Open an account, its free. Once done click on upload, wait for the page to load then a dialogue box will open. Click on pictures or videos. That should go right to your pictures folder. Click on the image you made with the snipping tool. It will upload to your album at photobucket. Then click on save to  album. Once that's done you'll see a little gear on the top right of the image. Click on that and a drop down menu will appear. Click on direct link. When that opens click in the text box and it will then say copied. Come back to this post and in the reply box click on the green tree. Another dialogue box will open. Right click in the text box then click on paste. Then click on insert. It should appear in your reply.

How's that.

February 17, 2013 3:37:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I wish to apologize, this thread should apparently be in a support forum and therefore, I shouldn't have made fun of Yrag. Mods feel free to delete my posts.

February 17, 2013 4:22:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sbolton2 ....please ignore our resident humorists....they actually like each other but have strange ways of expressing it....

However, yrag is correct.  'Explorer crashes' is not enough information to solve the problem, as Explorer can crash for all sorts of reasons.

Just provide as much information as you can and we'll see if can sort out a solution.  The main thing to be aware of is that Fences does not crash everyone's Explorer....which means it is not Fences in itself as an isolated cause...but likely a conflict/issue with something else installed too...

February 19, 2013 9:32:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OK (b2t), have the same Problem!

After a long period I've reinstalled WindowBlinds 7 and some other Stardock stuff to test with.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64!

After I've installed Fences 2 (the newest version I could donwnload to try) the explorer

crashed about 5 times until Fences shut down. I thought it's WindowBlinds but the more I use it 

the more I think there is a problem between WindowBlinds (the latest version) and Fences 2.

I've reinstalled the old free limited version of Fences 1 and boom - all worked fine.

Then I tryed to uninstall WindowBlinds and reinstall Fences 2 and that worked too

but when I reinstalled WB again, the explorer crashed again 5 times until the unload of fences.

Now finally I'm working with WindowBlinds and the free limited Fences 1.

At least the Crash-Data:

- System

- Provider
      [ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000
      [ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2013-02-19T13:42:26.000000000Z

EventRecordID 24316

Channel Application

Computer PC

Security
- EventData
      explorer.exe
      4d672ee4
      KERNELBASE.dll
      4e21213c
      c0000005
      0000000000003d98
      01ce0ea3c76107de
      C:\Windows\explorer.exe
      C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

31cb00fa-7a9a-11e2-a182-005056c00008

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: explorer.exe, Version: 6.1.7601.17567, Zeitstempel: 0x4d672ee4
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: KERNELBASE.dll, Version: 6.1.7601.17651, Zeitstempel: 0x4e21213c
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0000000000003d98
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x1294
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01ce0ea3c76107de
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Berichtskennung: 31cb00fa-7a9a-11e2-a182-005056c00008

February 19, 2013 9:59:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Sbolton2 ....please ignore our resident humorists....they actually like each other but have strange ways of expressing it....

Well that's good to know, thanks Paul. Good to know it was just ribbing each other, for a minute there I thought someone should be banned from the site for extreme rudeness.

February 20, 2013 6:20:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Windows Explorer crashing with Fences is still an issue!!? Let us be honest, why don't the programers find a patch to solve this issue which is standing the test of time?! Why can't we say the truth to the people?! I will start a blog somewhere to denounce this way of fooling people. And you have the guts to be rude to users too!!!

February 20, 2013 6:40:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting jjbjolicoeur,
And you have the guts to be rude to users too

Please read comment #14.

Neither person is from Stardock.  They are two 'users' just like yourself, however they know each other and enjoy to joke by calling each other names.

If, however this was a thread specifically posted to the support forums it would be devoid of such humour.

Again, the reality is that the vast majority of people do NOT have 'Fences continually crashing Explorer' and thus the issue some people experience MUST be handled one-on-one directly to ascertain exactly WHY it occurs for YOU.

The appropriate procedure is to post a ticket to support@stardock.com and await a response.

If, in the interim you find a posted reason that has fixed the problem for another you may then find assistance on these forums as an addendum to the official support channel....

February 20, 2013 6:42:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Now, I shall proceed to copy that response to the clipboard so it can be reposted at will.

February 20, 2013 11:06:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
I wish to apologize, this thread should apparently be in a support forum and therefore, I shouldn't have made fun of Yrag. Mods feel free to delete my posts.

February 28, 2013 4:41:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

At this stage Fences 2 is simply unusable with Win 64. Yes, I'm talking about a clean system install, fully updated, no viruses, malware, bla, bla.

Windows Explorer is permanently freezing/crasing. Since years I've also used the greatest file manager/Win Explorer replacement in the form of Directory Opus. It is probably the most stable piece of coding I've ever seen - never, ever crashed, etc.

With Fences intalled I started to experience similar problems like the ones with Windows Explorer: program freezing all of a sudden being the most frequent case.

I unistalled Fences and  everything started to work like a breeze since then. Not a slighetest issue there. Windows Explorer, Directory Opus, etc work perfectly.

I realize that the problem with Windows Explorer has been here since Fence versions 0.9xx and is still here in the newest version. Should I ask for a refund?

This software, althoung nice and looking good, is simply making the system quite unusable. This is, sadly, making Fences useless.

February 28, 2013 5:28:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you have a windows seven disc, and boot from the disc, load windows files, do an upgrade install, won't lose anything, should fix it, all your existing windows install will also go into a folder called windows old, in case you need anything. Doesn't take very long, especially if you have a decent pc.

Option b, you could run startup repair, basically for boot problems, but who knows what it might fix. Same as install procedure except choose repair my computer, lower left of install screen, can also replace drivers this way.

Just suggestions, hope you get it going.

I thought Yrag and RND, were goig to have some fisty cuffs{scrap}, you guys are going to scare people, quit it.

February 28, 2013 7:14:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I know your plight, I have been there. Stardock could not find a solution to my issue and asked me to choose another program from their products. It would be great if they proposed this solution to all the users having these Windows explorer crashes. There is a problem with Fences 2, let us be honest.

This is a so old issue.

February 28, 2013 7:42:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Piotr Tyminski,
At this stage Fences 2 is simply unusable with Win 64. Yes, I'm talking about a clean system install, fully updated, no viruses, malware, bla, bla.

And yet this machine is NOT 'a clean install'...it's been running 7 64bit ever since it was first available via Technet....and over those 3.5 years has barely been turned off maybe 2 weeks tops.

It has Fences 2 ...and Explorer does not crash.

My DEFAULT File manager is Directory Opus and it does not crash either.

I have a LOT of programs installed, none of whom is affected by Fences.

Does it 'appear' to break things on some computers?  Yes, so it seems from the few comments.  Is it common and thus easily replicated and resolved? No, it is not.

Have people followed the correct procedure to resolve their issue - [ support@stardock.com - and wait for direct response] ? Mostly no.

Oh, and is Dopus really that good?  No, it isn't.  It has a habit of forgetting settings.  There probably is no such thing as 'never ever crashed' when it comes to computer software, not with the diversity of potential conflicts in the wild...

March 12, 2013 5:10:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I loaded Fences 2 on an existing install of Win 7 64bit. Fences ran for quite some time without fail. One day the crashes began.  After some poking around and a little experimentation what fixed the problem for me was to:

1. Completely uninstall Fences, including manually deleting excess files and directories.

2. Boot from the win 7 install disk, and do a repair install. 

3. Fresh install of Fences.

I am a fairly sophisticated computer person (30+ years experience in the industry, software development, networking, etc) and I am not completely sure why this worked. My best guest in a corrupted registry entry.

I sincerely HOPE this works for you as it did for me.

Now, about my own problem with Fences.........

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002407   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.