ObjectDock 3.0 ? ? ?

By on February 15, 2013 8:28:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Laurence3

Join Date 10/2012
+2

@ Stardock

Hi there,

The last release for ObjectDock (v.2.0) was released in 2010: has all development stopped on it? Or can we expect an update, and if so, since folk have been ever so patient in waiting so long, how about giving us an approximate date for the next release?

Sure wouldn't mind seeing it tweaked and tuned for Windows 8. One such request would be for it to have an optional setting that if checked would bypass the Modern/Metro start screen and land us squarely on the Desktop, when starting or restarting the computer.

And perhaps for the Start Button which comes with ObjectDock, perhaps assign it some functions of its own, so that it has a few basic Start Menu abilities at least. (And I don't mean for it to mimic Start8's feature set, not at all!)

Anyway, I am glad that I did not begin holding my breath back in 2010 , but what about 2013 - is there a new release of ObjectDock coming our way?

regards,

Laurence

7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 17, 2013 6:21:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It seems that they *might* abandon the software, you can try Winstep Nexus. It is way better than ObjectDock, and it is actively maintained and updated. Best of all, it is free of charge.

February 17, 2013 6:39:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The same with IconPackager.

February 17, 2013 8:20:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I would like to see an improvement as well, I have been using OD for a decade now and I would like to have a new version that loads faster.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 17, 2013 8:36:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kangdang,
It seems that they *might* abandon the software,

Curious comment...and not one suited to the support forum as it's of no help to anyone [and inaccurate].

Object Dock has been running faultlessly on this machine ever since its inception.... [Win 7 Ultimate 64bit] so, other than bug-hunting there's little actual need to 'update' or 'revise'.  It does what it does.

As for a 'OD v3' I would imagine any such release would be in response to issues created [thanks, MS] by Windows 8.

OS enhancements need to follow OS developments...not lead...

February 21, 2013 4:19:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,
It does what it does.

well, I can't say that, I've been asking for a solution to fix the 64bit programs shortcuts in menus like for 3months ago and this 'bug' is hunting me waaaaay back from that request (it occurred on win7 64bit also), so I would disagree from your statement. It does need an update, and the users demand it.. besides it loads ridiculously long after I switched to win8, even on my RAIDed SSD's. I've payed for pro and am suffering a problem that is not fixed from 1year?

I would gladly see a new version too.

February 22, 2013 9:16:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

To hope or not to hope. . . 

I had written a short email to Stardock's Customer Care, (in part) as follows:

"I am writing to enquire of Object Dock (at v2.0), last released in 2010: will there be any updates to it, hopefully fixing a few bugs and receiving a few tweaks, and making sure it is fully compatible with Windows 8?"

And this is their reply:

===================

"I believe a minor update is coming that addresses the crashing of the dock in Windows 8. I do not know what other fixes it may contain if any as I have not seen that build yet.

An email may be sent out when the updated version is released, but if not there will be a forum post here: http://forums.stardock.com/forum/176"

===================

So, could this be an instance of "good things do come to those who patiently wait". . . perhaps we are about to see.

regards,

Laurence

February 23, 2013 12:03:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you Laurence3  +1

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002657   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.