Windows 7 Desktop crashes when Fences is loaded.

Fences kills Explorer

By on February 14, 2013 4:44:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

darvin atkeson

Join Date 08/2004

When Fences is installed on Windows 7, the Desktop (Explorer) crashes several times.  Eventually Fences turns itself off. 

I've updated to the most recent nVidia drivers for the 8800 GTS but with no success.

The event log shows the following crash information:
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7601.17567, time stamp: 0x4d672ee4
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec4aa8e
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c40f2
Faulting process id: 0xb18
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0afb5b6c9ae8
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 9d12e695-76ee-11e2-b711-00044b01af39

Only way I have found to stop the problem is to uninstall Fences.   Wrote to Stardock support several days ago but have yet to receive any reply. 

I have seen the problem reported on the forums but have yet to find one with a solution.  

Any ideas?

//

20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 15, 2013 8:18:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please contact support@stardock.com

February 16, 2013 4:02:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Way to read the post before responding, Zubaz.

He said he already contacted support several days ago and didn't get a response.

Just like all the other people who have contacted support (and posted here) regarding this problem (myself included) and have never received any solution.

Fences has been crashing my Explorer since version 1. It's probably due to another program I have installed that modifies Explorer in some way, but apparently Stardock can't figure out what the problem is. I keep installing new betas hoping eventually it will get fixed, but no joy so far. I love the program and want to use it. But while it worked fine on Vista, I can't get it to work properly on Win7 64x.

But hope springs eternal.... 

February 16, 2013 5:47:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Try using driver versions 285, 295 or 296. I found with my old 8800GT the performance was better and more stable with WFX and DeskScapes. It may work as well with Fences. I don't use fences so I can't say for sure. I do know that the 300 series drivers were not the way to go with the old card.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 17, 2013 8:44:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting FiveCentDad,
Way to read the post before responding, Zubaz.

He said he already contacted support several days ago and didn't get a response.

I am sure Zubaz read the post before responding.  Since he is a support person and requesting the OP contact him I would think that is in fact the correct course of action...

Whether or not your problem has yet been replicated and solved may likely have no bearing at all on the OP's specific issue...

March 25, 2013 10:01:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I get this sometimes as well. Scarcely though.

March 26, 2013 7:31:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

There is a new build of Fences available.  Uninstall what you have and install the current one.

Registrations and download links can be accessed by logging in with a Stardock account at https://store.stardock.com/myaccount/products or installing through Stardock Central (currently in beta but available at http://www.stardock.com/products/stardockcentral/ ).

June 17, 2013 2:56:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am having the exact same issue with the latest version (2.1) on Win 7 64-bit.

I sent an e-mail to tech support today.

Hopefully they will figure it out soon.

July 30, 2013 12:39:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I get this as well. It says that the DesktopDock64.dll is faulty. Just got it now. That's why I'm telling.

July 30, 2013 1:23:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Make sure you are not using a version of DeskScapes on Windows 8 earlier than v8  . . as it may cause a conflict.

Otherwise, email support@stardock.com so we can see what is going on

July 30, 2013 1:46:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I only have fences and I'm on windows 7 64bit.

July 30, 2013 11:51:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I had exactly the same last April 2013 with Fences v2.01 on my Win7 64-bit desktop.

I emailed support and two days later was advised to install the latest build (shown as v2.09 in Control Panel) and all was OK.  My Win7 64-bit laptop on v2.01 was not affected.

Two days ago (29 July) my laptop updated to v2.10 and immediately encountered the Windows Explorer failure.  I have emailed Support but only received an automated response and ticket ID so far.  I have tried updating to v2.11, but the fault remains.

Now my desktop reminds me v2.10 is available for installation, but I think I'll hang back on that!

July 31, 2013 7:44:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting keith70555,
I have emailed Support but only received an automated response and ticket ID so far. 

Please post your ticket ID.

Thanks.

July 31, 2013 8:15:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi all, 

Same here with Windows 7 64 bits: Explorer hangs with 2.10 and 2.11 beta... 

Thanks for the help ! 

Franck

Edit: Ok, got the solution: My job network shortcuts located on desktop make Fences crash because it looks for them. The solution is to remove them from desktop. But how to continue to use it now ? I'm searching for the definitive solution...

Help appreciated...

July 31, 2013 9:44:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting zeedd,
But how to continue to use it now ?

Greate a directory somewhere on your PC and put the links to the network there.

Then, Alt+drag the directory to the desktop to create a folder portal.

Let me know if that does not work.

August 8, 2013 3:32:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Seems to just be a timeout issue on resolving shortcuts.

Removing any shortcuts that take a long time to load fixed the explorer crash for me on Windows 7 x64.

Note that these shortcuts need to be removed from the desktop entirely. It is not just the shortcuts that are in fences, and it also causes the snapshot (e.g. when it takes a snapshot during installation) to take a long time and potentially time out.

For example, dead links (shortcuts to locations that do not exist), network shortcuts (e.g. \\192.168.x.x\path\to\wherever), shortcuts to mapped network drives, possibly shortcuts that use URI style protocols (http://, irc://, steam:// etc) and possibly shortcuts to other non-file objects such as printers.

To test if this works for you, you can just disable fences then make a new folder on the desktop and drag everything else from the desktop into it before starting fences to see if fences starts without issue.

Still looking for where to bug report this issue with fix.

August 8, 2013 8:22:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've been having the exact same problem too, it's even caused some programs to crash.  The idea of moving some of the shortcuts into a folder sounds promising. Hopefully they'll fix it in the next patch.

August 9, 2013 7:22:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ghelyar,
Still looking for where to bug report this issue with fix.

We are aware of the issue and are working on a fix.  You can contact support@stardock.com if you want to formally report the bug.

August 20, 2013 3:59:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am having what sounds like a similar issue, running 64-bit Windows 7 Professional. If I drag an icon even slightly off the desktop, everything on my desktop (except for maybe one or two files that were outside of Fences) completely disappears and won't return until I reboot (and not always then.) I'm going to have to uninstall Fences until this is fixed. I don't have time to reboot several times a day. I like Fences, (I'm running the trial version) but I won't pay for it until this is fixed.

September 1, 2013 6:33:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I haven't filed a ticket on this issue yet - but will if requested - I was hoping there was a community solution.  I am running Windows7 & Windows Explorer crashes every time fences is loaded.  Now that I have fences loading at start-up, WE/IE crashes immediately,  Is there any fix for this?  TIA.

September 3, 2013 4:03:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Support cases please.  support@stardock.com

Please download and run the following utility: http://sd.stardock.com/SDSupportTool.exe

This is a tool that we use to gather relevant log files and basic information about your computer. Once the utility finishes running, please send back the .zip file it creates on the desktop.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000640   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.