My long overdue departure.

The end of an era.

By on February 14, 2013 3:07:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Snowman

Join Date 03/2001
+339

3 months ago I started in a new job as a delivery/courier driver, and it has kept me way too busy to keep track of anything going on in the world of skinning.
On average 12-15 hour work days leaves me with very little time, if any at all, for PC'ing. This has though given me plenty of time to reflect on the 1½ decade of my life that I have dedicated to skinning, and I've come to the conclusion that it is time for this old 'skinosaur' to finally and definitively call it quits.
The only direct connection I have left to skinning is through my duties as moderator here at Wincustomize (I was headhunted from Skinbase, by big boss Brad (frogboy), back in June 2004) but to me that is just not enough to keep up my interest, and without going into too much detail, this has become more of a drag than a joy the past years.
All I can say is that we're doing the job with tools held together with old gum and worn duct tape.....
The admin section is in worse shape than the main site.
Plus there really isn't use/need for the current amount of moderators. Submissions have dropped to a dead minimum. What we now see in the modding queue in a week we could easily see in a day a few years ago.
So one less moderator wouldn't give much extra work for the remaining moderators.

Anyway... My main reason for finally calling it quits is that I have no applications left to skin. Offcourse, I use plenty of skinnables on a daily basis but none that I find any joy in skinning for.
The last application I found fun to skin was RightClick, and we all know the fate it suffered.
Skinning is a dieing art. No one seems to be wanting to face this fact, but I've been seeing it coming from years ago.

Also, 1½ years ago I got back together with my ex-wife, whom divorced me partly for my skinning addiction, 7½ years ago.
It currently is no problem, but this time I won't let anything PC related get between us. My choice is clear on that point.

This is not a decision just of the top of my head, nor is it the first time I've considered leaveing, but the past times I've mentioned it my fellow moderators always convinced me to stay on.
I doubt as many will try to stop me this time, as I've noticed some of my previous allies for unknown reasons have 'turned their backs on me'.
But hey, it's a free world, I guess, somewhere....

So, there you have it.
Another one bites the dust.

I can though be contacted, if anyone wishes so, through my Facebook page or my email.

PS.: Paul or Spencer, IF you happen to read this just go ahead and remove my admin access (if at all possible).

54 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 14, 2013 3:21:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

February 14, 2013 3:27:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am thankful that I was able to get to know you though this site.

I value your freindship very much and hope it will continue through other channels.

February 14, 2013 3:29:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sad to see you go Snowman, but I completely understand your reasoning. Best of luck to you and your wife!

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 14, 2013 3:29:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Moving on with our lives is the one lesson in our lives that is always hard to accept, but in time we realize that at some point we must.  Having said that I know you will be missed by your fellow moderators as well as by the whole community.  As is often said at these times, don't be a stranger. 

I wish you all the best Snowman.  

February 14, 2013 3:32:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I thought we were friends over at Facebook. Somehow we aren't so I asked to be your friend again. You will be missed here Snow. I wish you well in your future endeavors.

February 14, 2013 3:36:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry to see u go ... I had come to enjoy ur presence here.

And I know what you mean about a slow death... fortunately (for me at least) Skinning windows is NOT the only form of skinning and as long as the PC lives.. so will the skinner.

Happy Trails! We will all miss u.

February 14, 2013 3:46:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Morten, I will miss your wit and humor. I will miss you teasing us with RC skins that you won't share....  

I do have a question....Who will you be leaving the largest collection of skins known to mankind to?  

I wish you luck in your endeavors and the door is always open. 

February 14, 2013 3:51:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The best of luck to you and your wife. It's too bad, but it does look like skinning is dying--maybe Windows 8 will help keep it alive.

February 14, 2013 3:57:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wait! I just went to your FB page and sent you a message but, apparently I'm too drunk to figure out 'How to send a friend request'....WTH happened to FB??? Nothing but good karma in your direction...

February 14, 2013 3:59:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jeg sier ikke adjø til deg siden vi har mer kontakt med hverandre andre plasser enn her. Det er på tid å treffes face-to-face snart....kanskje vi kan få det til på sommeren eller noe?

February 14, 2013 4:28:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Snow....do I have to talk you out of it again?

Seriously though, it's just one of those things....  eventually it's time to do 'other stuff'.  I know I'm gonna miss having you around...there's not all that many dinosaurs/skinosaurs still around in the world of skinning.

If 'real life' has gotten in the way of Modding at least don't disappear totally.   You know where we are...

February 14, 2013 4:43:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Best of luck, Snowman, happy trails to you and yours. We'll leave a light on for you.

February 14, 2013 5:06:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You weren´t always the most friendly of characters around here when I first came, but in retrospect I know I needed it to get grips about how things work around here.

You & Jafo taught me alot about proper conduct in the Forums and on the site in general.

Det var kul att snacka lite svenska med dig då och då också

I am very sad to see you leave Morten  

Take care

Andrew/neone6

February 14, 2013 5:16:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

wow. det är dåligt nyheter för mig!  vi här känner viandre 6 år, och jag kommer att sakner dig. Min lila dansk grannar Morten!!!

Jag hoppas du här en underbra liv med din fru och din barn

ta det lungt min kompis.

Kitty

(no google translator was harmed in the creation  of this post)

February 14, 2013 5:21:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Love ya Honey

February 14, 2013 5:21:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

All the best Snowy, to you and your missus... be well and stay safe.

February 14, 2013 5:23:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

frosty, you've been a great friend to me for many years. i can honestly say i have missed in the past few months and will miss you and your oddball sense of humor in the future. as for you and your wife, i know the despair you experienced when you two split up years ago and the joy you had when you got back together. i sincerely hope this time, it's forever. good luck, my friend, in everything you do.

pas

February 14, 2013 6:02:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank you, everyone.
It wasn't an easy decision but a necessary one.

I may be quitting as Moderator but totally quitting skinning is harder.
To leave skinning you can't quit - you die.

Quoting Jafo,
Snow....do I have to talk you out of it again?

Seriously though, it's just one of those things....  eventually it's time to do 'other stuff'.  I know I'm gonna miss having you around...there's not all that many dinosaurs/skinosaurs still around in the world of skinning.

If 'real life' has gotten in the way of Modding at least don't disappear totally.   You know where we are...

Paul, nothing you may have to say or do - short of showing up at my front door and kicking my arse - can change my mind.

And yes, the 'skinosaurs' are short in stuck, and maybe for a good reason. Our time is past. There's no room for us and our view of (the original) skinning.

February 14, 2013 6:09:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,
Jeg sier ikke adjø til deg siden vi har mer kontakt med hverandre andre plasser enn her. Det er på tid å treffes face-to-face snart....kanskje vi kan få det til på sommeren eller noe?

You've got a deal, bro!

Quoting MadDeez,
frosty, you've been a great friend to me for many years. i can honestly say i have missed in the past few months and will miss you and your oddball sense of humor in the future. as for you and your wife, i know the despair you experienced when you two split up years ago and the joy you had when you got back together. i sincerely hope this time, it's forever. good luck, my friend, in everything you do.

pas

John, you're one of my 'oldest' friends in skinning. We've known each other for a long time. (maybe too long)
I will always, with a smile, remember the fun times we've had on IRC. Sadly those days are gone, too....

Hippy, voo, MikeB, Chris and more nutt-jobs..... Those were the good/fun IRC days.

February 14, 2013 6:44:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
Hippy, voo, MikeB, Chris and more nutt-jobs..... Those were the good/fun IRC days.

ain't that the truth!

February 14, 2013 7:38:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

See ya around on Facebook, Morten.... I will miss seeing you here.

February 14, 2013 7:50:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
Paul, nothing you may have to say or do - short of showing up at my front door and kicking my arse

Now there's a plan ...

February 14, 2013 8:11:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Gonna miss you Snowman but life goes on and we gotta go with the flow. Good luck to you sir.

February 14, 2013 8:15:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
Quoting 2of3, reply 10Jeg sier ikke adjø til deg siden vi har mer kontakt med hverandre andre plasser enn her. Det er på tid å treffes face-to-face snart....kanskje vi kan få det til på sommeren eller noe?
You've got a deal, bro!

Du fyrene er to av mine favoritt gutta på WC. Jeg skulle ønske jeg kunne bli med deg i sommer.

February 14, 2013 10:19:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am so sorry to see that your leaving us   [e digicons]:'([/e] will you come back and visit us from time to time  ? don't be a stranger

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000750   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.