Fences 2.1 beta now available for download!

Early access for Object Desktop subscribers.

By on February 14, 2013 1:25:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+616

A benefit of an Object Desktop subscription is early access to our upcoming software releases before the general public. Today we updated Object Desktop subscriber’s Stardock Accounts with the Fences 2.1 beta. They will also have access to the full release version in the near future.

Fences, the world’s most popular desktop organization tool has been updated with enhancements to help you manage your desktop icons intuitively.

Features:

• Enhanced desktop pages feature with a skinnable page indicator
  • Added persistent fences across pages
  • Added network drive connection detection
  • Assorted fixes

Additional enhancement details can be found here:

http://www.stardock.com/products/Fences/history.asp

Now is your chance to get access to this beta and more!

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE TO OBJECT DESKTOP:

Subscribe to Object Desktop today to get access to the beta and instant access to a suite of our top products. http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/purchase.asp

ALREADY AN OBJECT DESKTOP SUBSCRIBER?
Downloading the Fences 2.1 Beta is as easy as visiting your Stardock Account at: https://store.stardock.com/myaccount/products

23 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 14, 2013 5:00:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi, thank you for an amazing product! I have two questions.

1st. What does persistent fences across pages mean?

2nd. Currently I am able to swipe across my desktop pages using a 3-finger flick on my laptops touchpad. Do you know how I could change that to a 2-finger flick, as this is what is used for navigating the Windows 8 Start Screen?

Once again thank you. I love the product.

Abin

February 15, 2013 12:47:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not showing up in SDCentral here.

February 15, 2013 2:17:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

*Update* - I've uninstalled & reinstalled but in in fence's about dialog, I'm still only seeing 2.01, also, in control panel, fences is showing as v2.09

2.1 ? - I've just installed the beta ontop of Fences 2, and my system is only showing 2.01  (yes, I have rebooted, and I did run Fences_2.1_Beta1_setup)

-Tom

Running Windows 8 Pro x64

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 15, 2013 3:05:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I installed the Fences v2.1 beta last night too and it is showing as v2.01 in the About menu when I run the program. However, the Fences executable in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\Fences folder shows v2.10.0.485.

So is the beta correctly installed or not?

February 15, 2013 4:13:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

What does this mean - "Added new page indicator (skinnable via editing graphics in folder)" and how do we edit graphics in a folder?

February 15, 2013 4:15:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

1st. What does persistent fences across pages mean?

Answer: The menu in the top right corner of each fence now includes the option of including this fence on every page

February 15, 2013 4:43:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kenguenther,
What does this mean - "Added new page indicator (skinnable via editing graphics in folder)" and how do we edit graphics in a folder?

I don't use Fences but editing graphics is easy. Open whatever graphics program you use then go to file>open. Then navigate to that folder and click on the image you want to change.

February 15, 2013 5:30:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Installed the Fences v2.1 but it is showing  v2.01 in the About menu when I run the program!

February 15, 2013 9:20:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting jgjansen,

Installed the Fences v2.1 but it is showing  v2.01 in the About menu when I run the program!

It's a beta.  
It will be fixed in release. 

February 15, 2013 9:21:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DRHodgson,
I installed the Fences v2.1 beta last night too and it is showing as v2.01 in the About menu when I run the program. However, the Fences executable in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\Fences folder shows v2.10.0.485.

So is the beta correctly installed or not?

It's installed fine.

February 15, 2013 11:26:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

After installing the beta using default setting I was unable to move any icons between fences until reboot.  This happens every time I run the installer, whether I uninstall the old version of Fences or just run installer to update (It took me a couple tries to think of rebooting).

February 15, 2013 11:33:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting wfosborn,
After installing the beta using default setting I was unable to move any icons between fences until reboot.  This happens every time I run the installer, whether I uninstall the old version of Fences or just run installer to update (It took me a couple tries to think of rebooting).

Are you running DeskScapes?

February 15, 2013 4:01:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have installed the beta. The only new feature I now have, is that I'am not able to move to a blank page anymore. I dont see anything of the rest.

And when moving a page, an explorer task gets active for some seconds, it appears in the taskbar. But when active, it is possible to close this task and it never appears again, probably till the next restart. Everything is still working fine though, may nothing important?

I use Win 8 Pro 64bit (yep Win 8, which I kinda like now).

Edit: It looks like, that I do have everything, except the page indicator.

February 17, 2013 8:29:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Where lang file?

February 18, 2013 12:07:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've encountered what I assume is a bug and could be the cause of some of the reported problems from earlier versions of fences with icons falling out of their fence.

If hightlight an icon or icons within a fence either by directly clicking on it or dragging over them and move them. If I then create a folder/text file,etc outside a fence it does not "unselect" the previously highlight icons. Meaning that if move or delete the newly created folder/file the icons in the fence move along with it, pulling them out of their fence.

Edit: It appears this behavior is sporadic and I cannot find what triggers it. However it could be related to changes in resolution. When I inititally noticed it occur, it was 100% reproducable. However after the short period writing this post and browsing a little it is no longer occuring. The reason I suspect resolution changed being a factor is that the problem of icons leaving their fence has usually cropped up after using a game/app that runs at a different resolution to my desktop. I had also changed resolution just prior to being able to reproduce the problem.

February 18, 2013 7:18:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kyosyo,
Where lang file?

Fences is English only at this time.

February 18, 2013 7:18:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Spectral2k,
I've encountered what I assume is a bug and could be the cause of some of the reported problems from earlier versions of fences with icons falling out of their fence.

If hightlight an icon or icons within a fence either by directly clicking on it or dragging over them and move them. If I then create a folder/text file,etc outside a fence it does not "unselect" the previously highlight icons. Meaning that if move or delete the newly created folder/file the icons in the fence move along with it, pulling them out of their fence.

Edit: It appears this behavior is sporadic and I cannot find what triggers it. However it could be related to changes in resolution. When I inititally noticed it occur, it was 100% reproducable. However after the short period writing this post and browsing a little it is no longer occuring. The reason I suspect resolution changed being a factor is that the problem of icons leaving their fence has usually cropped up after using a game/app that runs at a different resolution to my desktop. I had also changed resolution just prior to being able to reproduce the problem.

Thanks for the info.

We'll investigate from here.

February 21, 2013 4:04:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Has the ability to arrange icons within a Fence been added to the software yet?  I just installed version 2.00 and it does not appear to have this ability (which is both inexplicable and infuriating by the way ... so close to being a great utility and this makes it fall flat on its face.)  I want to purchase this software, but can't justify it at this point until this has been addressed.  Thanks.

February 21, 2013 2:59:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Switching to another Page is broken now, as another user reported above.
It just snaps back to the first/main page.
Using Windows 7 64-bit, Ultimate, SP1 + NVidia GeForce videocard with TWO monitors.

EDIT: Oopps, in the changelog I see this is as designed. Sorry. 
Now only if you could add support for Pages for 2/3+ monitors, that would be swell. 

February 27, 2013 8:46:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hello,

I try to install the beta version over a 2.0.1, but without success...

After the UAC validation it happens really nothing !

Starting the installation with Run as administrator gives exactly the same result.

Windows 7 x64 french.

Symantec endpoint protection enabled / disabled changes nothing.

Thanks

Regards

February 27, 2013 9:13:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Email support@stardock.com

March 6, 2013 9:17:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Does 2.0 or 2.1b fix the "exclude icon from hiding" bug?

March 12, 2013 7:43:23 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Folder portals now display the title on mouseover when the "Show Labels" radio button is set to "never".  The previous behavior of not doing so was expected. The "always" display and "on mouseover" title options continue to work properly.

Win7 64-bit Fences2.1beta1

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0004079   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.