Deskscapes 8 Possible bug

By on February 11, 2013 11:27:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

B1ade2

Join Date 11/2011

This going to sound like a tedious link, but I thought I should share incase anyone else has this.

So I have a problem where my "nvidia graphics driver" stops and has to be restarted since installing the beta (recent deskscapes purchaser so very greatful for the free upgrade). This occurs roughly 30 seconds after getting to desktop. Tho it is hard to gauge if it is a driver loading or an app causing the problem as even my network controller isn't initialised before I get to desktop thanks to an SSD and a 3930k cpu.

On the same day I also had installed a new cooler on my gfx card so I have taken to using nvidias overclocking and control software to alter the fans on the new cooler. The reason I mention this is this is that this loads a profile right after boot. (I have since disabled this and the fault remains).

I must mention I have 0 problems in games and deskscapes itself is running faultlessly. 

I will update if I find out more. Going to go check for a newer driver. Failing that I may clean out and re-install it.

Running windows 8 pro x64 with MCE

3930k cpu / 16gb ram

Gtx 285 Gpu / 310.90 driver

4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 12, 2013 9:19:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

After much messing around, I found that some of the new dreams, that come with the New Deskscape causes explorer error. By using ones that I have already used, there seems to be no problem. I am running Windows 7 32 bit, AMD  Athlon 64 Dual Core Processor 6000+, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT, if this helps. I believe it was a 32Kernell fault. This is a completely fresh installed PC, as I have formatted it from scratch.

February 12, 2013 10:31:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was having issues with my old 8800GT and the newer (296 and up and much worse with the 300 series) drivers. I found that both DeskScapes and WFX worked best with the 285-295 drivers on the older GFX card. You might try doing a clean install of that driver and check it out. You can get  the 295 driver from HERE.

February 13, 2013 4:09:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanx for the replies guys. Problem seems to be gone. Fairly sure it was the nvidia "performance tools" loading up. I removed my fan settings and it's gone. I will have to live with my fan being at 40% instead of 30 for now.

Must be an issue with the profile loading while the 3D part of the card is in use or something.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 13, 2013 9:03:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I used EVGA Precision for fan speed control on that 8800GT. It works with any nVidia based card and causes no conflicts/problems with any Stardock software.

http://www.evga.com/precision/

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.