It’s turtles all the day down

By on February 10, 2013 2:07:59 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1117

Yesterday Kay, the boys and I went to the Reptile show. We didn’t come away empty handed:

IMG_2237

My son Ryan got this Gecko.

Alex got an iguana.

My daughter Ashley got a baby Red footed tortoise:

IMG_2238

And I got an adult red footed tortoise:

IMG_2239

IMG_2240

IMG_2241

These were taken in the conservatory, don’t worry about the snow outside. The floor tiles are heated to 78 degrees.

Poor Deb (my wife). I always tell her that by marrying me she’d end up with a bunch of critter loving kids. Smile

IMG_2242

Ashley watering the plants.

12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 10, 2013 2:20:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have found impulse buying pets to usually be a bad idea, but I wish you and your kids luck with them.

Reminds me of the baby snapping turtles I find every once and awhile. So cute until they get big and nasty.

February 10, 2013 2:27:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah, the poor long suffering wives.  First we ignore them by spending all our time on the computer & then we buy animals for them to clean up after.

It must be our childlike wit and charm that keeps us in their good graces.   

February 10, 2013 2:47:13 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Quoting DsRaider,
I have found impulse buying pets to usually be a bad idea, but I wish you and your kids luck with them.

Reminds me of the baby snapping turtles I find every once and awhile. So cute until they get big and nasty.

I've had all of these kinds of pets prior.  I had my box turtle for 25+ years until he got out of his enclosure in the back yard.  Our last iguana lived 12 years with us.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 10, 2013 2:59:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Quoting DsRaider, reply 1I have found impulse buying pets to usually be a bad idea, but I wish you and your kids luck with them.

I've had all of these kinds of pets prior.  I had my box turtle for 25+ years until he got out of his enclosure in the back yard.  Our last iguana lived 12 years with us.

So your house consistently smells of reptile poo?  

February 10, 2013 3:02:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I had an outdoor box turtle enclosure about 20' by 10'. 4 different species - eastern, gulf coast, 3 toed, and western varieties. I had at least one clutch of babies anually that I knew about. The pen I made allowed the babies to escape. They never barked or had to be walked or got into anything. I had other kinds, 35 at one time! And other creatures...

...ended up just keeping fish. Really loved the turtles though.

February 10, 2013 4:50:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome stuff!!!! Keep us updated. Whats the gecko's species?

Off topic, I must be blessed with my two snappers since they are no more aggressive than a normal aquatic turtle when handled.

Here they are during the move, each has their own enclosure, a 90 and a 120 gallon respectively.

February 10, 2013 5:56:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You live in the Southeast..? I know in Tennessee there are common in the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers...

February 10, 2013 6:09:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I had a terrarium in my bedroom many many years ago and had a pair of chinese box turtles. They would sleep with their heads oriented near mine at night!

February 10, 2013 6:55:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting G_Bison,
You live in the Southeast..? I know in Tennessee there are common in the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers...

Snappers are quite common throughout their range so yeah, they are quite common up in the cold white north as well

February 10, 2013 7:23:00 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

When my daughter was young she found a box turtle which she named George, but George had some explaining to do when he started producing eggs later hahaha. Turtles are great, most are innocuous, just don't get in the way of the big ones. Snappers can be handled but I have never caught one unwilling to express their distaste about the experience of being picked up.  

February 10, 2013 7:44:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have 9 box turtles I collected from the roads between 22 and 24 years ago. They have their own place I built in the back yard and are well taken care of. Don't get to see them in the winter as they bury but come april they will start to come out. What do you actually do with them, nothing but they are neat to have.

February 11, 2013 10:32:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When I lived in Georgia (for 16 years), I could regularly be spotted saving turtles from the roads.  I would bring them home on the passenger floorboard, and then my poor husband would have to get them out and set them free by a nearby pond as we lived in a wooded area.  But my very favorite rescue was a tiny Eastern Box turtle that I spotted in the middle of a 4 way intersection with 6 lanes of traffic.  It was on the other side of the road so I had to go up and make a U-turn, pull over to the side, and rather stupidly run into the intersection to collect the poor creature.  I don't know if I would be that brazen now, but I loved that little turtle so much.  I kept it for a few days and fixed beautiful salads for it, but he would just turn his nose up at the vegetables.  Then, after 2 days, I thought to try some sliced ham I was putting on sandwiches.  As soon as I put that ham in with the turtle, he went to town gobbling it up.  I would have loved to have kept him, but we decided to set him free in our woods by the pond.  I think it isn't legal to keep wild caught box turtles in Georgia.  Anyway, congratulations on your new babies.  I know you guys will enjoy them.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.