Bitdefender 2013 Antivirus Plus............FREE

By on February 9, 2013 9:59:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums External Link

Leo the Lion

Join Date 05/2003
+89

Just seen this on Neowin............Legit...........and free............servers are being hammered so you might have to be patient.

Thank you Leo...........You're welcome............

25 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 9, 2013 11:40:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank you Leo....

February 9, 2013 12:28:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Really didn't want to comment... I hope it's different from this one:

http://forums.wincustomize.com/438717

These are its main features:

• Close to zero impact on the system
  • Minimum user interaction required
  • Fewer settings to configure
  • Continuous scanning protection for your system
  • Simple program interface

What's new in this version:

• Performance improvements on HTTP Scan
  • Performance improvements on AUTO Scan (starting with the second Full AutoScan)
  • QuickSweep every 2 days, FullScan every 2 weeks
  • On Disinfect, all infected files are quarantined; no file will be deleted anymore
  • Laptop Mode for AutoScan (automatically postpones itself when on battery)
  • On-Demand (Right click in Explorer) no longer scan for Memory ()
  • AutoScan status doesn't influence the Active Infections (Pending Cleanup) scan (on reboot)
  • Fixed ChkDsk block at boot
  • MalwareBytes is no longer marked as incompatible solution

I downloaded and read the pdf file. I didn't see the "white listing" possibility in this edition either, because there is none. Not sure what "minimal user interaction" means.

Glad about the "Quarantine" not delete, this time as well as the MalwareBytes thing, but did see 2.2 (below). That would suggest the need for removing MalwareBytes. I didn't see it addressed specifically in the pdf nor on the BD website, so I'm not sure where the Neowin poster got that one.

As for Quarantine, the pdf doesn't describe how to reverse that (maybe in their Forums?), and when a file is Quarantined, the process using it is blocked. No hint in the pdf as to how to unblock it.

Hope this one is kinder to folks than the prior edition. Make sure to download the user guide (pdf)... read it before installing:

Also:

Here are the system requirements for it...

February 9, 2013 2:51:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I strongly advise everyone to not use Bitdefender. There are many excellent AV programs out there that give you full control over what they remove from your system and how. Bitdefender isn't one of them, imho.

• Minimum user interaction required
  • Fewer settings to configure
  • Continuous scanning protection for your system
  • Simple program interface

These are not selling points, they are warnings.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 9, 2013 3:08:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Depends on the version, Wiz.

Their Internet Security has none of the problems you (and others) encountered, and it has #1 ratings (for what that's worth).

This free version just isn't the same as the AV in the Internet Security version. Tried to point up the potential problems. Can't say if they are still there, as I would have to uninstall my version to put this one on...

February 9, 2013 3:20:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

IIRC, the AV engine in ASC Pro with AV 2013 which I am using is Bitdefender, and it does indeed work well, has options and doesn't assume full control over your system. If the free version does the same, then that would be a different matter.

February 9, 2013 5:34:44 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

We just installed Bitdefender Small Business Security on all our workstations last week, based on good reviews including a #1 rating and a very good price - actually the lowest price among C|Net's top 10.

There were some niggles.  It was very annoying that the installation routine required creating a MyBitdefender account and logging in to MyBitdefender on each and every machine.

And 'Autopilot' is a reasonably good idea, but the firewall is configured much more aggressively than Windows native firewall.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but it created some problems for us by silently blocking file uploads to secure websites, something we do everyday.  Turned out to be relatively easy to fix by whitelisting the remote IP address, but that only worked on our Win7 machines.  The XP rigs required an additional step, disabling SSL scanning (it's temporary until tech support gets back with a permanent fix).

I will give props to Bitdefender tech support - they are available 24/7 and hold time is nil.  Don't know if that would be true with the consumer/free version.

February 9, 2013 6:04:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There's nothing wrong with Bitdefender.

I used it as my prime system for years....[I NEEDED something that did NOT have 'Norton' in its name...cos back then it was cursed].

I switched to Kaspersky with about 10 months to go on my BD sub....simply because I had switched to Win 7 and BD had not yet released something compatible.

This freebie is simply a taster....and once you are reg'd you'll get an email sometime suggesting you go for the 'real' ver.... and by then you'll probably be liking it enough to do so...

February 9, 2013 6:37:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
This freebie is simply a taster....and once you are reg'd you'll get an email sometime suggesting you go for the 'real' ver.... and by then you'll probably be liking it enough to do so...

So it's a crippled version that has a time limit on use?

February 9, 2013 6:45:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting kona0197,

Quoting Jafo, reply 7This freebie is simply a taster....and once you are reg'd you'll get an email sometime suggesting you go for the 'real' ver.... and by then you'll probably be liking it enough to do so...

So it's a crippled version that has a time limit on use?

1 year.

Still a good deal, especially if you only used MSE so far or *shudder* Norton.

February 9, 2013 7:22:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ARESIV,
especially if you only used MSE

Which has consistently flunked lab testing for some months now.

February 9, 2013 8:57:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Which has consistently flunked lab testing for some months now.

Well, you have to give it points for being consistent. 

February 9, 2013 9:25:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I use AVG. I have for years. I don't use MSE. Besides flunking tests, you can't turn off the auto-update feature. I don't like anything on my machine updating itself without approval. I have always stayed away from Norton after what Jafo told me about some years ago.

February 9, 2013 11:02:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I see the Norton 'dinosaurs' are still out in force...........really sad how some people can't open their minds and are historically influenced by others who still 'harp back' those times when Norton screwed themselves with a bloated resource hungry bloodhound.......but since that time............2003/2004/ 2005 I believe ..............and especially in the last few couple of years.........Norton has come along a long way and if you care to look at some of the independent tests that are available you might we pleasantly surprised............

NIS 2013 and 360 are great products............I'm currently using 360 free with my Comcast account and I can say that it hardly uses any resources and is extremely reliable.  

I know Paul slugged Norton a few years back after he tried to remove it and it messed up his machine...........The Norton Removal tool has also come a long way and makes the process a lot smoother and more reliable...........

Me............If I did not have 360 free via my Comcast account..........I'd buy either Norton 360, Kaspersky or Bitdefender. The rest are just not in the same league of these three.

February 9, 2013 11:33:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Leo the Lion,
.......but since that time............2003/2004/ 2005 I believe

Yes...as my mention of it referred to its past, not present....

February 9, 2013 11:43:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Leo the Lion,
I see the Norton 'dinosaurs' are still out in force...........really sad how some people can't open their minds and are historically influenced by others who still 'harp back' those times when Norton screwed themselves with a bloated resource hungry bloodhound.......but since that time............2003/2004/ 2005 I believe ..............and especially in the last few couple of years.........Norton has come along a long way and if you care to look at some of the independent tests that are available you might we pleasantly surprised............

The other problem I have is that Norton costs money I don't have.

February 10, 2013 5:35:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Leo the Lion,
I see the Norton 'dinosaurs' are still out in force...........really sad how some people can't open their minds and are historically influenced by others who still 'harp back' those times when Norton screwed themselves with a bloated resource hungry bloodhound.......but since that time............2003/2004/ 2005 I believe ..............and especially in the last few couple of years.........Norton has come along a long way and if you care to look at some of the independent tests that are available you might we pleasantly surprised............

No offense, but a friend of mine has Norton on his Vista Rig. The current version of course with regular updates. His system is a 3 Ghz Dualcore with 4 GB of RAM and yet it feels quite slow. No doubt some of that comes from Vista itself but when he reinstalled Norton after reformat the speed of the sytem took a notable hit.

Norton is a very good software, but it seems to remain a performance hungry one.

Quoting kona0197,

The other problem I have is that Norton costs money I don't have.

If you are looking for a good free AV I would recommned Avira Free Antivirus:

https://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

Very good detection rates, mostly unannoying disadvantages of the free version and minimal system impact.

March 8, 2013 6:24:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
@Doc re: MSE MSE isn't as effective as AV or a few other 'free' ... ?
March 8, 2013 7:06:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,

@Doc re: MSE MSE isn't as effective as AV or a few other 'free' ... ?

Hey... good to see you, Elana.

I don't have much faith in MSE anymore. If you're paying? BitDefender Internet Security or Kasersky. If you're going 'free', Avast is probably best. I just don't remember if you have to scan on demand, and I don't think it gives 'active' scanning before a download.

March 8, 2013 7:57:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't see why people don't like MSE, I have used it since day one and have never had a virus or anything else get through. I do not believe any of those so called "ratings" on the net, they are biased IMO. MSE, and Windows Defender in Win 8, are free and they are configurable. Both scan downloads and update their AV files themselves. They are both excellent products, and unless something major occurs (doubtful), I will never switch.

The only thing I would have like to have seen in Windows 8 is a tray icon with Windows Defender when in desktop mode. Say, that's a good question, anyone know how to do that?

March 8, 2013 9:22:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
I don't see why people don't like MSE

Can't turn off the auto updates

Bad detection rates

March 8, 2013 10:38:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,

Quoting LightStar, reply 19I don't see why people don't like MSE

Can't turn off the auto updates

Bad detection rates

Uhmm, why would anyone want to turn off automatic updates of an anti-virus program Kona? That would defeat the purpose of even having it in the first place, and bad detection rates? According to who? Those companies that test and rate AV products? Well, lets just say that they are more than likely "influenced" by outside sources.

Like I said, I have maybe only had 5-6 times when something was detected and quarantined since MSE came out, but it has always done its job flawlessly.

March 8, 2013 11:27:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

MSE does have bad detection, and this is coming from a fan of it.  But it also has a fantastic lack of false positives.

BitDefender goes a little overboard with the network scanning...it affects legit programs (The Secret World launcher for one example) pretty obnoxiously and I couldn't find a way to fix it without disabling features.  The free version no longer silently and unrecoverably deletes, and unlike MSE it supports my WHS2011 box so I stuck it on there.  No intention of using it on normal OSes though.

I like Panda Cloud.

March 8, 2013 2:51:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
Uhmm, why would anyone want to turn off automatic updates of an anti-virus program Kona? That would defeat the purpose of even having it in the first place, and bad detection rates? According to who? Those companies that test and rate AV products? Well, lets just say that they are more than likely "influenced" by outside sources.

Because on my old system I did not have the resources to let any program use the ability to automatically update itself. System would freeze. Besides, in every test I have seen, MSE rates very low. AVG and Avast get higher marks.

March 8, 2013 4:06:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'll stick with Vipre. If I had more control with MSE in windows 8 I would still be using it instead of Vipre.

March 8, 2013 4:13:56 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Just a word of caution to those with older hardware and XP - Bitdefender active (on-use) scanning can really slow XP down, particularly with older CPU's &/or 1Gb of RAM or less.  It really needs newer hardware to be unobtrusive.

Works great if you turn it off.

EDIT: We have recently installed BitDefender Small Business Security on all our workstations, most XP but on newer hardware with 2-4Gb RAM.  It has no noticeable impact on performance on those* or our Win7 rigs and false positives have not been a problem.  We happened to have 2 very old XP rigs which really took a performance hit with it, however, and have been special-purposed or ditched as a result.   In addition, the firewall is very aggressive out of the box and requires some whitelisting for file transfers with remote sites; I consider that a good feature, but there was no forewarning about this behavior which caused some consternation until we figured it out.

*We also found that it really impacted Dragon Naturally Speaking on XP, making it so slow it was unusable; only involved 2 users, though, both of whom are planning to upgrade their rigs soon anyway and are using other free AV programs until then. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000969   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.