AudioGalaxy Torpedoed by Dropbox

By on February 1, 2013 9:41:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

kku

Join Date 10/2003
+10

Yesterday (1/31/2013), I went to listen to my music library that I streamed to my iPhone using AudioGalaxy, but I got no response. I checked my file/print server which managed my music collection which I have ripped from CDs that I can produce on demand. Everything seemed OK  so I assumed that AudioGalaxy was experiencing some temporary issue. This morning I tried again, but it was still down, so I tried to get to the AudioGalaxy web site, but no response. I Googled AudioGalaxy and discovered to my horror that AudioGalaxy had been bought by Dropbox, then shutdown.

I am a retired software engineer and Window/Linux/network administrator, so I am no computer novice. I had no idea that AudioGalaxy had been bought nor that it was going to be shutdown. There was no notification at any time that this was going to happen. Apparently, Dropbox doesn't like anyone streaming perfectly legal music from a home server when they could be paying for storage space in the cloud. I wouldn't mind moving my music collection into Skydrive (I will never use Dropbox), but I live in the country with a 500Kbps upload speed and some 20GB of MP3s.

I started looking around for an alternative to AudioGalaxy and settled on Subsonic with the iSub iPhone app.

6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 1, 2013 10:17:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you're "no computer novice" why the hell are you relying on some online/net/cloud system to host your junk?

....and expecting it to always be there? ....

February 1, 2013 10:21:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

February 1, 2013 10:33:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have far more music than I can carry on my iPhone, so I needed some streaming server to gain access when I am on the road. I hope there is some especially hot place in hell next to the heat vent for companies like Dropbox!

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 2, 2013 7:59:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kku,
I have far more music than I can carry on my iPhone

Same here, I have far more music than would fit on a couple of dozen iPhones, but I'd never use a 'cloud' thingy to store anything of mine, well nothing I hadn't backed up locally first.  I am thinking of using Skydrive now that I'm on Windows 8 and have a Windows phone.  Anyway, getting back to more than your iPhone can carry, what about a 32gb memory card, can store a shipload of music on there?  In fact, if you have more than a shipload, you could go to 64gb [if your phone will take it] or just carry a couple/few 32gb's with you. 

The reason I suggest this is that I have a 32gb card in my phone and I have a sizeable chunk of my music collection on it... and if one's not enough, get another, and another and just swap them around... beats getting a cloud thingy bought out from right under you and shut down.

February 2, 2013 8:14:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Spotify next?

February 2, 2013 8:19:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

you guys realize that the op was NOT storing his files in the cloud, but accessing his own home server via the internet?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000204   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.