Deskscapes Beta for Windows 8

By on January 31, 2013 5:07:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

plywood99

Join Date 02/2006
+1

How to put this...

Mr Banfield,

I LOVE YOU!!!

Deskscapes is working wonderfully thus far. Windows 8 Pro 64bit.

Even my old purchased dream, Liquid Dream, installed and works flawlessly.

I had to do a restart though for Deskscapes to start functioning. Maybe have the restart as part of the install process?

Anyway, I'm tickled pink.

Now Mr Banfield, where is my WINDOwBLINDS!?!?

Just joking. If the Windowblinds beta works like Deskscapes beta the wait will be WELL worth it.

Cheers mate and to all at Stardock.

42 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 31, 2013 6:15:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I must be blind..... where is the Deskscapes 8 beta download  link ?

January 31, 2013 6:17:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It is available under MyProducts on the Stardock store for current ObjectDesktop customers.

It is not currently available for anyone else.

January 31, 2013 6:51:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This is awesome. i have been waiting to renew my subscription to object desktop until deskscapes worked in windows 8. It works today and hence i renewed. Installed great but none of the dreams would show anything more than a blackscreen. A reboot fixed that issue. Upon reboot i found mpeg2 dreams would not work with windows 8 pro with media center. I used shark007 32-64 bit tools to fix the previews and the ability to use mpeg2 dreams using the powerdvd 12 codecs. Welcome back asteroids! 

Here are some thing i think that could be fixed/added.

First of all make it so it actually works with the built in win8 MC codec. Mine does not. I spent a good 3 hours getting it working with the powerdvd 12 codec and hope that helps others save some time. 

Second add the option to run deskscapes on the start menu(aka metro) that would be rather pimp. 

Thirdly add an option to disable sound for dreams. Eve-online dream would be sweet with out the audio spam. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 1, 2013 2:08:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
It is available under MyProducts on the Stardock store for current ObjectDesktop customers.

It is not currently available for anyone else.

Without wishing to rock the boat , I paid  for and have used Deskscapes  since 2007, surely that entitles me to beta versions , in keeping with principles of other software houses ?

$49 is a lot to pay just for that purpose

R

February 1, 2013 4:42:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have to agree. This beta is working wonderfully so far and it's really making me excited as to what you guys can do with Windowblinds 8. I'd like to bring a possible bug to attention though. I haven't used previous versions of deskscapes along with fences yet but now that I'm using Deskscapes I can't see the borders of my fences when I hover over them. I can still drag the fence around but it's a bit of a guess where the borders are. FYI I'm using Win 8 pro x 64 and have the latest versions of both softwares. Hope this helps. Anyone else have this issue?

February 1, 2013 5:29:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I found a small bug. On dual monitor setup , the apply to only to monitor 1 or monitor 2 option doesn't seem to work. Always displays on both.  Might be that both my monitors are of different resolution but still, thought I'd mention it.  As for the codec, just add the media center pack under add additional windows features in control panel, this works fine.

February 1, 2013 6:33:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Maverick I tried using different dreams on my dual monitor setup and it's working fine.

Both my monitors are 1080P resolution.

I noticed another process, Dshost, being started when certain dreams are used such as Planktonic. Dshost seems to use up a decent amount of CPU, around 5 - 10%. Is this process just for certain codec dreams?

February 1, 2013 7:08:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting plywood99,
Maverick I tried using different dreams on my dual monitor setup and it's working fine.

Both my monitors are 1080P resolution.

I noticed another process, Dshost, being started when certain dreams are used such as Planktonic. Dshost seems to use up a decent amount of CPU, around 5 - 10%. Is this process just for certain codec dreams?

DShost is used when you want a different dream on different monitors and if you use a video dream on Windows 8 due to OS changes which prevent it from working as it did on Windows 7 for video dreams.  The cpu usage for Planktonic will be due to the video decoding codec thats part of the OS.

February 1, 2013 7:09:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ianst102453342,
I have to agree. This beta is working wonderfully so far and it's really making me excited as to what you guys can do with Windowblinds 8. I'd like to bring a possible bug to attention though. I haven't used previous versions of deskscapes along with fences yet but now that I'm using Deskscapes I can't see the borders of my fences when I hover over them. I can still drag the fence around but it's a bit of a guess where the borders are. FYI I'm using Win 8 pro x 64 and have the latest versions of both softwares. Hope this helps. Anyone else have this issue?

Have you rebooted since installing?

Fences can get a little upset if DeskScapes is installed after Fences is already running, but a reboot should sort it.

February 1, 2013 7:46:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

First time I have ever used Deskscapes, seems to work fine though, no issues at all and a very useful product.  Just curious though, as most Stardock products include some skins with them, why does Deskscapes not include any Dreams with it?

February 1, 2013 7:48:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting LightStar,
First time I have ever used Deskscapes, seems to work fine though, no issues at all and a very useful product.  Just curious though, as most Stardock products include some skins with them, why does Deskscapes not include any Dreams with it?

Deskscapes should be including a number of dreams.  Desktop Earth, planktonic, expanding shapes, vintage dream, water dream and winter snow.  These should show at the top of the list.

February 1, 2013 9:25:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm extremely peeved not to be offered the beta considering I've purchased the product ever since the 1st version. What gives and where's the loyalty to your customers?

February 1, 2013 9:32:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

One of the benefits of Object Desktop subscription was to have earlier access to betas which is what this is doing.  I believe others will have access at a later time, but getting Object Desktop is the recommended way to get stuff first.

February 1, 2013 9:46:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Great job guys, it`s awesome!!!

Great new feature, being able to apply effects to a background!!
And great I have all my old/previous backgrounds automatically restored in my library.
Feels like coming home.....I love it.
No problems here so far, W8 x64, no reboot necessary to make it work, and fences-icons can be tweaked without any problems..  

Thanks a lot.  

February 1, 2013 9:48:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@ Compexpert;
The bèta's are only available to current subscribers of OD, you need the full suite subscribtion to be able to get bèta(s) acces, the bèta`s are not in the store, only to be downloaded from your OD account.
So if your subscribtion ended in 2007 you will have the rights of use of the software as was on subscribtion-expiring-date.
You sort of purchased the than existing version.
You don`t have rights to update or upgrade it now, 5 years later.
So if you don`t want to pay for the whole suite (which has other great software that works on W8) you`ll have to wait untill the final release of Deskscapes 8 and then you can purchase only Deskscapes 8.

February 1, 2013 10:17:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just an FYI, if you own DeskScapes you can upgrade to Object Desktop at a discount.

http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/purchase.asp

February 1, 2013 11:24:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Be nice to get these dreams working
   Ticket ID: IUA-821-76205      Sorted

February 1, 2013 11:38:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just got DeskScapes Beta for Windows 8. I LIKE it!!! I have been hoping that Stardock would update this product for Windows 8. I haven't had any problems with it after rebooting Windows. I have even applied textures and it works fine. Thank you again Stardock...

February 1, 2013 12:54:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit.

Fences 2 installed

Deskscape 8 doesn't work for me, at all.

It create several problem and unload fences.

I must uninstall both (deskscape 8 and fences 2).

Reinstall fences 2.

I cannot use deskscape 8 beta...

February 1, 2013 12:56:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Quoting LightStar, reply 11First time I have ever used Deskscapes, seems to work fine though, no issues at all and a very useful product.  Just curious though, as most Stardock products include some skins with them, why does Deskscapes not include any Dreams with it?

Deskscapes should be including a number of dreams.  Desktop Earth, planktonic, expanding shapes, vintage dream, water dream and winter snow.  These should show at the top of the list.

I never even noticed that Neil, I guess it's because Deskscapes does not differentiate between what is a Dream, and what is a wallpaper that I can see. Any way of adding categories to it?

February 1, 2013 12:59:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My problem sorted thanks both working

February 1, 2013 1:59:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i keep getting errors of mpeg2 missing... please get the mce pack... but i have it.  any ideas?

February 1, 2013 2:10:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting doctorx,
i keep getting errors of mpeg2 missing... please get the mce pack... but i have it.  any ideas?

Which dreams are you trying to use and what version of Windows 8 do you have exactly (32 or 64 bit?)

February 1, 2013 3:28:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

win8 x64... tidal forces is one example.

February 1, 2013 4:17:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

One thing I would like to see Stardock push more is Dynamic Dreams. There are tons upon tons of video Dreams but Dynamic are few and far between.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000781   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.