DeskScapes 8 Beta Bug Reports

How to unload.....

By on January 31, 2013 4:09:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

RedneckDude

Join Date 04/2009
+1442

Hey Neil, how do we unload DeskScapes 8 Beta?

I can't find a way to unload and the help link points to help for version 3.25.

51 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 31, 2013 4:14:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Unload?

Like applying a wallpaper?

January 31, 2013 4:16:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What RnD said. I chose to not show wallpapers in the DS UI and the  DS Config wont show my previously applied background to revert back to it. I had to open WB Config to reapply the wallpaper.  Win7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I set it to run a dream on monitor 1 only. It changed my wallpaper on monitor 2 to Desktop Earth  dream.

January 31, 2013 4:23:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
What RnD said. I chose to not show wallpapers in the DS UI and the  DS Config wont show my previously applied background to revert back to it.

You chose not to show wallpapers and now you cannot see the wallpaper you had before?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 31, 2013 4:26:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

(OK, that worked Zubaz. I was looking in the config for a way to unload, like in former versions.)

EDIT: Sorry, I mistook your first reply to be a facetious one...hehe.   Yes, I want to load a wallpaper = Unload DeskScapes.

It seems like there should be a way to disable DeskScapes from within the DeskScapes UI. Who would think to apply a wallpaper from outside the DS UI to disable DeskScapes?

Applying a wall from within DS doesn't unload DS.

January 31, 2013 4:26:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Correct. I don't want to use it to apply walls, except for the previously applied background. Also see my comment about monitor 2. Only the selected dream has a blue checkmark in the corner.

January 31, 2013 4:29:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
You chose not to show wallpapers and now you cannot see the wallpaper you had before?

Here too. Even with wallpapers showing, the previously applied wall isn't an option. So what you end up with is having to go outside of DeskScapes to unload DeskScapes.

I had to apply a wall with DisplayFusion in order to unload DeskScapes.

January 31, 2013 4:54:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Why not a single desktop right click context menu option like DesktopX? Just an idea.

DeskScapes, with a mouse-over dropdown menu of:

Pause

Configure

Unload

January 31, 2013 5:16:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I guess the question is why do you want to disable it (unload has never been an option)?

January 31, 2013 5:39:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
I guess the question is why do you want to disable it (unload has never been an option)?
To revert back to the previously applied background.

If for no other reason:

CPU usage is unacceptable. This dream used less than 15% of total system CPU with DS3 running, it uses almost three times that with just the preview now.

With it running.....are you kidding me? I want to unload it.

Phenom 9850BEx4/GTS450/8GBs RAM@800 MHz.

January 31, 2013 5:41:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
I guess the question is why do you want to disable it

Duh, why wouldn't we?  I like changing my wallapapers with DisplayFusion. I don't want DeskScapes to handle wallpapers.

Neil, in earlier versions you would have the option to load your default background (unload DeskScapes)

Quoting Neil, reply 8.         "I guess the question is why do you want to disable it (unload has never been an option)? "           

January 31, 2013 5:49:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
I set it to run a dream on monitor 1 only. It changed my wallpaper on monitor 2 to Desktop Earth dream.
And what about this? It applies whatever the first dream in the UI is to the other monitor, in my case, Desktop Earth. It does not leave the static wallpaper applied.

January 31, 2013 5:51:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Same here, it loaded Aquarium, the first in my list, on the other monitors. 

BTW, I changed it again and I got a dream on monitor one, same selected dream on monitor two. Monitors 3 and 4 got an unchosen static wall. And I don't have wallpapers showing in DeskScapes.

January 31, 2013 5:56:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Are beta bug reports for improving the software, or fodder for dumb questions? I am trying to be helpful, please don't insult my intelligence.

January 31, 2013 6:04:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting Neil Banfield,
reply 8
I guess the question is why do you want to disable it (unload has never been an option)?To revert back to the previously applied background.

If for no other reason:

CPU usage is unacceptable. This dream used less than 15% total system CPU with DS3 running, it uses almost three times that with just the preview now.

With it running.....are you kidding me? I want to unload it.

Phenom 9850BEx4/GTS450/8GBs RAM@800 MHz.

The CPU usage used by a dream has not changed with DS8.  The preview may use more because it runs things at a slightly higher resolution internally than before, but an applied dream should be the same as before.  When it comes to video dreams the cpu usage is very much controlled by two things, your video codecs and your video drivers.  Videos use cpu to decode, thats a fact of life.

Now if thats a static wallpaper using all that cpu then thats something that needs addressing.  If nothing else I would be interested to know what process is using the cpu.

To use that much cpu would be interesting especially as it would apparently be on multiple cores which doesn't fit with the standard cpu usage pattern.  I assume it isn't a case of DeskScapes UI obtaining your list of images and building previews is it?  Thats a cpu intensive task and if you have shown it your entire my pictures folder for example it can take some time.

The easy way to tell is see what process is using what.  DeskScapes dreams when applied should use cpu in the explorer process.  DeskScapesConfig is the UI process and DSHost is used for certain dream combinations when applied.

January 31, 2013 6:06:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting Neil Banfield,
reply 8
I guess the question is why do you want to disable it

Duh, why wouldn't we?  I like changing my wallapapers with DisplayFusion. I don't want DeskScapes to handle wallpapers.

Neil, in earlier versions you would have the option to load your default background (unload DeskScapes)

Quoting Neil, reply 8.         "I guess the question is why do you want to disable it (unload has never been an option)? "           

If you want to apply a wallpaper using DisplayFusion then why not simply apply a wallpaper from there if you fancy applying one of those?  It should instantly disable DeskScapes in the same way as if I have a picture of say my house on my desktop and I apply a new wallpaper it replaces (so disables in effect), the old one.

All the disable option ever did was apply the wallpaper that was set before you applied the last dream.

January 31, 2013 6:07:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've been testing it with different dreams and it's not using enough cpu cycles to even register.

January 31, 2013 6:07:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Regarding multiple monitor dreams, as with DeskScapes 3 you have to have a DeskScapes applied dream on all the monitors, you cannot have DeskScapes handling one monitor but not the others.

January 31, 2013 6:10:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting TechNoWeb,
I've been testing it with different dreams and it's not using enough cpu cycles to even register.

Reduced 61%

Original 972 x 650 

This is what we would expect to see.  It will vary depending on dream type.  I would expect static walls = none, dynamic = varied depending on the dream, but typically low, hybrid = low and video = more depending on encoder type, bit rate and any hardware acceleration.

January 31, 2013 6:15:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
Regarding multiple monitor dreams, as with DeskScapes 3 you have to have a DeskScapes applied dream on all the monitors, you cannot have DeskScapes handling one monitor but not the others.
With DS3, the option to have a dream on one monitor and a wallpaper on the other did exist. It did NOT apply a dream to the secondary unless told to, least of all one that was not selected to be applied. I am going to reinstall DS3 for further analysis and comparison data.

January 31, 2013 6:17:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
If you want to apply a wallpaper using DisplayFusion then why not simply apply a wallpaper from there if you fancy applying one of those? It should instantly disable DeskScapes in the same way as if I have a picture of say my house on my desktop and I apply a new wallpaper it replaces (so disables in effect), the old one.
All the disable option ever did was apply the wallpaper that was set before you applied the last dream.

Neil, do beta releases get given to use so we can "beta test" and report back?

That's all I'm doing here.

If you removed the option to revert to my previous background, why not just say that. Say it's not a bug and it was intended to leave no way to disable/unload DeskScapes?

Your answers here come off as if they aren't bugs and you intentionally chose not to give an unload option.

One should not need to load a wallpaper with a third party application in order to disable/unload DeskScapes.

Quoting Neil Banfield,

And it disabled DeskScapes.

January 31, 2013 6:19:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Correct. But as I stated, DS applied a wall that wasn't even supposed to be within it's grasp, to the other two monitors, on it's own.

January 31, 2013 6:28:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting Neil Banfield,
reply 17
Regarding multiple monitor dreams, as with DeskScapes 3 you have to have a DeskScapes applied dream on all the monitors, you cannot have DeskScapes handling one monitor but not the others.With DS3, the option to have a dream on one monitor and a wallpaper on the other did exist. It did NOT apply a dream to the secondary unless told to, least of all one that was not selected to be applied. I am going to reinstall DS3 for further analysis and comparison data.

Trust me it worked the same.  The UI was a little different but the same rule applied.  A dream had to be applied to the primary monitor (by dream I mean anything that can be applied from within the UI).

Going forward the best solution may be for DeskScapes to simply look at the last applied wallpaper and set it to any monitors that do not have an applied dream.

January 31, 2013 6:30:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting Neil Banfield,
reply 17

Correct. But as I stated, DS applied a wall that wasn't even supposed to be within it's grasp, to the other two monitors, on it's own.

Your wallpaper on monitors 3 & 4 may be more linked to DisplayFusion.  I don't know how it handles its multiple monitor wallpaper.  I should probably mention we do back off on displays that are not connected to the primary display adapter unless you have told DeskScapes to support them (see the settings), or if you explicitly apply a dream to that monitor.

January 31, 2013 7:32:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK, same rig and codecs, same dream. DeskScapes3, vastly different results.

Note that CPU use is assigned to one core. Somewhat high, but I have 3 more cores to play with.

Again, only one core in use with the result of much less total CPU being used. I am not sure how someone with a single core system could even run DS8.

Two items of note. On the fresh DS3 install, it showed my wallpaper on monitor one and Desktop Earth on the second in the UI until I clicked on monitor 2 in the UI. Then it showed the correct walls applied on both. Applying a dream to monitor one left the wallpaper unchanged on 2. I am not using Display Fusion, btw,and use WB to apply walls for the most part.

Also noted, the preview in DS3 paused when moving/resizing the config window or using the snipping tool. In DS8 it does not. Not a biggy there.

I am merely pointing out what I am experiencing, not knocking the software, as I was under the impression that this what beta testing is for. I have used DeskScapes since it's release and have had this rig for years so I am familiar with its performance. I made note of what I observe to be major, in my opinion, changes in the operation and function of the new version. As we all know, not all systems will react the same with all software. 

Monitor1 Acer X223W on NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450

Current Resolution 1680x1050 pixels

Work Resolution 1680x978 pixels  

State enabled, primary, output devices support

Monitor Width 1680  

Monitor Height 1050  

Monitor Bpp 32 bits per pixel

Monitor Frequency 59 Hz  

Monitor2  PL716s on NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450

Resolution 1280x1024 pixels  

Work Resolution 1130x984 pixels  

State enabled  

Monitor Width 1280

Monitor Height 1024  

Monitor Bpp 32 bits per pixel  

Monitor Frequency 75 Hz  

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450  Memory 1024 MB  Memory type 2  Driver version 9.18.13.1090 (310.90)

No additional codecs or media players installed. Win7/64 Ultimate and what came with it.

January 31, 2013 8:17:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
Your wallpaper on monitors 3 & 4 may be more linked to DisplayFusion.

That may be, but it wasn't a wall that I had applied with DisplayFusion.

Nevertheless, I hope you add the ability to disable DeskScapes from within DeskScapes.

Thanks, Neil.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.