Homeland Security: Disable Upnp as tens of millions are at risk

Here we go again folks

By on January 30, 2013 10:16:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums External Link

Uvah

Join Date 05/2006
+737

I got this from a friend who regularly visits zdnet. The article comes from Zack Whittaker for zero day. How the hell are you gonna disable upnp? No clue

20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 30, 2013 10:29:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Soak your computer in a bathtub full of water while it's plugged in. Bubbles are optional.

Homeland Security is a joke. If they had their way, we'd all be getting scanned and dog sniffed if we went outside, our phones would be bugged 24/7 and little old ladies would get body cavity searches at the bus stop.

If people want to be that paranoid as to listen to HS, then just disconnect from the rest of the world and move into a cave somewhere.

January 30, 2013 10:32:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I thought it worth mentioning.

January 30, 2013 10:53:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

For mine, Homeland Secuity and other such organisations find... er, invent shit like this just to keep themselves employed and wielding power over fightened, intimidated people who stll think there are Reds under the bed..

And we all know that such departments are created to provide jobs for the 'boys'.... friends of politicians who are ex-military thugs and have eff all chance of getting a job anywhere else.

Quoting Wizard1956,
and little old ladies would get body cavity searches at the bus stop

Nah, Homeland Security have taken them off the 'to search' list.... they're mean spirited when interfered with and are full of gas, making cavity searches too hazardous for operatives.  Yeah, HS handles them differently now!  They give them a shot that feigns Alzheimers and they take them to the nearest aged care facility, where the nursing staff can deal with the gas and bein lashed out at with umbellas.

Yup, them Homeland Security fellers are sure tough bastards... read a while ago where they intimidated a 15 y/o girl into exposing her breasts at an airport pat-down.  Should never happen like that, not when there's scanners and crap that can see everything on and about you.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 30, 2013 11:10:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think they're referring to the ability to hack into whole networks via printers and other PnP devices. The UPnP software is vulnerable, but so are printers and other devices updated from non-OEM sources. They talk about zombie botnets and DDoS attacks.

The infection can be very subtle however, coming in an email (for example, even from someone you know), and target a network device like a printer from which point it can infect the other computers on the network, to milk them for info.

It can be even more subtle infecting just the printer and since they have hard drives, and net access, cause memory dumps from the printers (all the files printed from them) to be sent to info harvesters. 

January 30, 2013 11:14:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
It can be even more subtle infecting just the printer and since they have hard drives, and net access, cause memory dumps from the printers (all the files printed from them) to be sent to info harvesters.

My printer is only ever plugged in and turned on [inside the router firewall] when I have a printing job.  Once that is completed I turn it off and unplug it at the wall to save power... LEDs and all that.

January 30, 2013 1:16:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

How the hell are you gonna disable upnp? No clue

Uvah, you would disable it in services.

But really, if you do, you'll have problems every time you use a flash drive, etc. Anything that plugs into a USB port, etc.

May as well unplug the computer. 

Reminds me of Y2K lol.

January 30, 2013 1:23:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And, as an added bonus, anything that depends on Upnp will also fail if you disable it.

January 30, 2013 1:37:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Me I just wanna disable GUPnP.... Google's Unwelcome Professional nosey Parkers.  Bastards, they watch everything, so word of warning, don't take you internet enabled notebook or tablet with you to the toilet, bedroom... anywhere you wanna do.... um, stuff you don't want the whole world to see.

The other one to disable would be GPGnA... Government Pricks Generally nosing Around.

January 30, 2013 1:53:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Starkers, Abelsoft has a thing just for that.

https://www.abelssoft.net/apps/googleclean

January 30, 2013 2:47:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Starkers, Abelsoft has a thing just for that.

https://www.abelssoft.net/apps/googleclean[/quote]

Funny thing, I got an email for that yesterday, wanting me to buy it.  Yeah, I purchased something from Abelssoft a while back and elected to get the newsletters to inform me of new offerings and upgrades/updates, etc.

As for the GPGnA, you need a thorough internet cleaner and an effective suppository to remove traces of anything that can be used against you.

January 30, 2013 4:27:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I read the article over at LifeHacker http://lifehacker.com/5980126/5-security-holes-almost-everyones-vulnerable-to

Seems what's most vulnerable are servers and it tells you how to disable the upnp.

January 30, 2013 4:30:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah, in reply 7, services, you right click UPnP, choose properties, disabled, apply and ok.

But doing so will cause many problems.

Doing so on a server wouldn't.

January 30, 2013 4:39:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm not about to do that RnD, Uh uh. I may be crazy but I ain't stupid.

January 30, 2013 4:42:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sheesh! All this Homeland Security BS is getting ridiculous!

February 2, 2013 8:27:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you want to check your Router vulnerability go to Shields UP :-

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

click proceed then click the UPnP exposure button.

February 2, 2013 9:02:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There is no "UPnP exposure button".

February 2, 2013 9:09:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

All this nonsense just reminds me of what's involved in maintaining a good solid connection. I'm leaning towards working online so this kind of info is useful.

February 2, 2013 9:20:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
There is no "UPnP exposure button".

When you click the proceed button on the first page the next page has the button on it.

February 2, 2013 9:26:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting coffeegrinder,
If you want to check your Router vulnerability go to Shields UP :-

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

click proceed then click the UPnP exposure button.

I just tried this out and got an all clear... they could not penetrate my machine through UPnP... so good news for this household.

February 4, 2013 5:26:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't have a router so.......no problem.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000157   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.