Any fix for invisible moving windows on multiple gfx cards?

By on January 26, 2013 9:18:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

shane15

Join Date 10/2012

This bug has been reported a long time ago, however I'm still suffering issues.

When you are running multiple graphics cards, your windows will become invisible when you move them IF and ONLY IF the window move was initiated on a monitor running on a non-primary graphics card.

Bug confirmed on a separate machine with a different hardware configure.  It seems to be universal.

This, really, is a PITA.  Is there going to be any fix for this?

22 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 26, 2013 9:34:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

According to my support ticket, it is being worked on. 

February 15, 2013 10:32:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just so you know this isn't confined solely to multiple gfx cards, I have Gefore560TI 448 cores (running 313.96 drivers, also have issue on every driver I've tried fromn 306 up). I get NO window when first dragging a window, no If i let go and drag the same window around I get the animations. Just in case this helps.

March 7, 2013 5:27:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I got this problem with 2 graphic cards..and 3 screens

I just got Window FX5.

Got window / and 3 monitors

One main monitor 42 " and 2 side monitors 27"

I got 2 graphic cards: GeForce GTX 280 and GeForce GTX 480

GTX 280 run the 2 27" monitors and GTX480 runs the 42" monitor.

Solution 1080p,1824 x1014

Window FX 5 works perfect when I do NOTHING on the the third monitor (screen).

But very soon if i use the third monitor (screen) a clean long window pops up on the main screen and soon after all 3 screens get dotted with big black squares, all open windows get extremely slow and all i can do is restart.

I like to ask in WindowFX5 is tested with 3 monitors (screens) and if there is anything i can do to avoid this issue...

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 16, 2013 3:34:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

also happening here, has been happening the whole time I've had windowsfx... a few months maybe.

win7pro

2 amd/ati hd6950's driver v13.1 w/eyefinity group on 3 monitors, extended desktop on 4th. only happens on 4th monitor constantly and sometimes on all monitors until reset.

when might we expect an update or some news?  I keep checking updates...  is discouraging to keep seeing "No updates for WindowsFX were found"

March 23, 2013 6:34:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

bump cause this is still happening

December 29, 2013 1:32:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Happening for me. GTX 295 driving two central monitors showing wobbly windows fine. On two outer monitors hanging off Nvidia 8800GT I get invisible windows when moving (and no wobbly effect of course). Turning off "Wobbly windows" makes windows show again (momentum working fine).

Have tried many variations of settings and latest nvidia drivers, no change. 

December 29, 2013 2:08:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Guys, support has told me that they have passed this to the developers.

I have the same problem on my Windows 7, my Windows 8 doesn't have the problem.

December 30, 2013 2:47:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting mr-artist,
Turning off "Wobbly windows" makes windows show again (momentum working fine).

Confirmed.

February 7, 2014 3:18:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'll just add to the list of complaints. I have the same problem with a ThinkPad W520. running Win7, in its docking station, with an AOC monitor.

AOC monitor is primary monitor.

ThinkPad monitor is secondary monitor.

Window move initiated on primary monitor, with Wobbly Windows - works fine.

Window move initiated on secondary monitor, w/ WW - window is invisible until I drop it.

I just paid to re-up for another year.

Love your product but Let's fix this soon!

February 7, 2014 3:57:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Works great on Windows 8, so I can't imagine it being that hard to fix on Windows 7.

May 5, 2014 2:17:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

now THAT ^^^^^ is a first class bump!!

May 5, 2014 3:16:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sorry but this is the support forums so that animation had to go.

May 5, 2014 9:28:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

True Neil. I am sorry, wasn't thinking. 

So, any news on this? Or has 7 been left behind for 8? 

This issue has been in existence for a good while now. Is it being looked into?

May 6, 2014 8:21:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Could you, in the meantime, turn off Wobbly Windows and see if the dragged window displays properly?

May 6, 2014 8:53:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting mr-artist, reply 6Turning off "Wobbly windows" makes windows show again (momentum working fine).

Confirmed.

May 6, 2014 1:44:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting The_Gear,
Could you, in the meantime, turn off Wobbly Windows and see if the dragged window displays properly?

Yes it ceases to disappear, but you get no animation on the start menu on the monitors connected to the second graphics card. No window animations on max/restore/min either. All you get is momentum. May as well turn WinFX off altogether.

And why would I want to disable wobbly windows? It is the single most attractive effect that WinFX offers, in my opinion. I'd rather you fixed the program.

It all works on 8, dunno why you can't make it all work on 7. Same rig, same hardware, same programs, same monitors etc., etc.

September 23, 2014 2:49:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Still unfixed here

September 23, 2014 2:57:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bug still effective. I'm on windows 8.1 latest update to date and Wobbly effect on. I'm force to restart WindowFX to get away from the bug.

Single Graphic card, lots of ram, core i7.

The support of this software is the worst of all your products. I don't even use the feature "darken inactive windows" cause it's really too buggy, from time to time (like any bug on WindowFX?) any windows is considered inactive...

So, please stop coding on your games, you made first SOFTWARES, let it be your first priority, let it be clean before any other activity.
I really don't think that I will renew my Object Desktop Subscription. You are on a down path. Actually, I don't even recommend you software anymore, worst, I say to people to avoid them.
You were such a great company, but I've been so many time disapointed by you. Poor Issues responds on board and even worst on application/reaction to solve them, don't even talk about features request/enhancement...

This topic is another proof, unsolved bug/issue 'til 26 january 2013 !
Just shame on you. 

September 24, 2014 5:55:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting StevenFrom1984F,

Bug still effective. I'm on windows 8.1 latest update to date and Wobbly effect on. I'm force to restart WindowFX to get away from the bug.

Single Graphic card, lots of ram, core i7.

The support of this software is the worst of all your products. I don't even use the feature "darken inactive windows" cause it's really too buggy, from time to time (like any bug on WindowFX?) any windows is considered inactive...

So, please stop coding on your games, you made first SOFTWARES, let it be your first priority, let it be clean before any other activity.
I really don't think that I will renew my Object Desktop Subscription. You are on a down path. Actually, I don't even recommend you software anymore, worst, I say to people to avoid them.
You were such a great company, but I've been so many time disapointed by you. Poor Issues responds on board and even worst on application/reaction to solve them, don't even talk about features request/enhancement...

This topic is another proof, unsolved bug/issue 'til 26 january 2013 !
Just shame on you. 

Your issue appears to be unrelated to this thread.

This thread was about multiple physical graphics cards which is a known limitation for WindowFX on Windows 7 and is one that is likely to remain.  Multiple graphics cards on Windows 8 are supported.  You seem to have only one monitor and have not indicated what the issue is exactly but I can promise it is not the same issue.

Regarding the darken feature, all I can say is contact technical support so they can gather more information.

September 24, 2014 8:23:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

StevenFrom1984F - I'd like you to contact us here with your issue: http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit 

September 24, 2014 10:51:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

This thread was about multiple physical graphics cards which is a known limitation for WindowFX on Windows 7 and is one that is likely to remain. Multiple graphics cards on Windows 8 are supported.

This is nice to know. I have a ticket in on this, been forever, and no one has bothered to tell me it's unfixable.

Thanks Neil.

October 29, 2014 2:43:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, that's a bummer. I have no idea when I'll be migrating the machine I have this issue on to a post Win7 OS.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001360   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.