Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Windows 8 a problem, what else.

By on January 26, 2013 3:08:24 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

GirlFriendTess

Join Date 11/2001
+11

I installed win8 on my three computers and have not had more than the typical problems expressed by others. Well my Husband wanted me to install it on his computer … but this time there was a problem. I cannot get to the internet from anywhere besides the win8 start menu, not acceptable to hubbie. Everything checks out fine, drivers, network adapters, network checks and troubleshooting guides etc. I am at a loss as to where to go or what else to check. I have Start8 on all 4 computers. Please help…

109 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 26, 2013 10:06:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Was this the case before you installed anything?  Before you did your windows updates....etc.?

(Also I'm assuming you're saying you can only use the IE browser 'app' to browse and not the browser launched from the desktop.)

If as you say everything driver and network related is in fact fine then I might try backtracking by uninstalling Start8 etc.?   I have installed Win8 personally on quite a few machines to date and not had one single issue such as you're describing (save having to hunt for the odd missing driver etc.) so like I said, if you can't remember if it did this right from vanilla 'first-boot' then I might start by temporarily uninstalling 3rd party programs like Start8.  Whenever there is a problem to solve, the less 3rd party 'potential' issues in the way the better. 

January 26, 2013 10:20:25 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

No there were no problems. Ran AV and malware scans etc., cleaned and compacted the reg. and had all the updates. I believe the problem didn't exist before I installed Start8, hummm. I think IE worked fine before Start8 because I installed all the updates suggested, but my Hubbie wanted the Start menu ... be back after I check this out. As you say done this thing before and never seen anything like it. Thanks for the suggestion.

January 28, 2013 9:20:19 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Start8 had nothing to do with it, to recap everything was prepared and working fine. Downloaded Win 8 Pro and installed it. From that point on I couldn't get to the internet from the desktop. IE windows begins to open and a message pops up telling me there was an unknown error and to close IE. At some point it gets confusing and unresponsive and the only way I can shut down the IE windowS that aren't working is through the task manager. Chrome however stats from the desktop fine??? I am sure the problems are local; I just don't know where to look now?

This is not my exact problem but it is close enough.

Windows 8 Problem: Internet Explorer 10 Crashes   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srtx_Ud0fe8

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 28, 2013 9:51:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

do a restore to a time before you installed start 8 the first time just to rule it out. turn off the firewall see if that fixes it and if it does go in to the firewall settings and see whats mucking up the works. try reinstalling the network drivers. try a different browser. reset your internet connection.

open a command prompt type in ipconfig/release then the enter key then type ipconfig/renew hit enter. just for kicks and giggles type in ipconfig/flushdns hit enter. close command prompt and try again.

January 28, 2013 10:08:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting GirlFriendTess,
Start8 had nothing to do with it, to recap everything was prepared and working fine. Downloaded Win 8 Pro and installed it. From that point on I couldn't get to the internet from the desktop. IE windows begins to open and a message pops up telling me there was an unknown error and to close IE. At some point it gets confusing and unresponsive and the only way I can shut down the IE windowS that aren't working is through the task manager. Chrome however stats from the desktop fine??? I am sure the problems are local; I just don't know where to look now?

Did you do an 'upgrade' to Windows 8?   If so, I've got to tell you that in the many, many years I've been in IT I have never ever......and I mean ever....recommended anyone do an 'upgrade' instead of the clean 'format/install'.  IE is very integrated into the OS, so any issues with the OS at all could cause issues with IE, especially if 'upgraded'.......not worth the troubleshooting time in my opinion.   I do fresh OS installs only.

Windows 8 takes less than 15 minutes to do a clean install (not upgrade).  Not worth the potential problems in my opinion by doing an upgrade..... 

If you did do a clean install, I would again ask.....did you check IE immediately after the very first boot?  If not, reformat/install and try again before installing ANYTHING else...

January 28, 2013 10:24:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Never do an upgrade back up and do a clean install. I agree with monk your just asking for trouble.

January 28, 2013 10:38:36 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting TechNoWeb,
open a command prompt type in ipconfig/release then the enter key then type ipconfig/renew hit enter. just for kicks and giggles type in ipconfig/flushdns hit enter. close command prompt and try again.
Will do tomorrow when I can get on hubbie's computer ... without him sitting around clucking and asking silly things hahaha.

Quoting the_Monk,
Did you do an 'upgrade' to Windows 8?
Sorry to say I upgraded to 8. Same for my other computers, flawlessly. Do I need to purchase an installation disk or can one make their own disk from the download of win 8 file (which I probably don't have anymore because of various troubleshooting steps). I had the firewall deactivated. The problem started as soon as I upgraded. Seems as though you have hit the solution ... a clean install. 

January 28, 2013 10:42:25 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting TechNoWeb,
Never do an upgrade back up and do a clean install. I agree with monk your just asking for trouble.
Yep ... and I got it but 1 out of 4 isn't bad (not my puter). Can win 8 be rolled back to win 7 ... where he was happy ... but had to upgrade because it is new and faster and...

January 28, 2013 11:16:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting GirlFriendTess,
Sorry to say I upgraded to 8. Same for my other computers, flawlessly. Do I need to purchase an installation disk or can one make their own disk from the download of win 8 file (which I probably don't have anymore because of various troubleshooting steps). I had the firewall deactivated. The problem started as soon as I upgraded. Seems as though you have hit the solution ... a clean install. 

I would say you got lucky with the ones that upgraded 'flawlessly' and I know however well they are preforming now, they would be performing even better from a 'clean' install. 

No you should not need to purchase an install disc.  I believe (I could be wrong) the install file is an .ISO and you could burn it to a disc (using one of the existing Win8 installations since they easily handle burning of ISO files built right into the OS) and then use that disc on your hubby's machine.

Like I already said, I ONLY do clean OS installs.  I have never done an 'upgrade' install (at least not on my own machines) and never will.  Clean OS install means clean driver files, clean registry (in my opinion 'registry cleaners' often do more harm than good since some of the 'orphaned entries' they claim can be removed can actually still be important etc.), clean drives/partitions, smaller winSxS folder (if you're upgrading from Windows Vista or newer), non-corrupt system files and/or program files, etc. etc.

Yup.......clean install is definitely the way to go!  

January 28, 2013 11:45:08 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Thanks everyone, I will reinstall clean ... on all of them.

January 28, 2013 11:55:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting the_Monk,
No you should not need to purchase an install disc. I believe (I could be wrong) the install file is an .ISO and you could burn it to a disc (using one of the existing Win8 installations since they easily handle burning of ISO files built right into the OS) and then use that disc on your hubby's machine.

Like I already said, I ONLY do clean OS installs. I have never done an 'upgrade' install (at least not on my own machines) and never will. Clean OS install means clean driver files, clean registry (in my opinion 'registry cleaners' often do more harm than good since some of the 'orphaned entries' they claim can be removed can actually still be important etc.), clean drives/partitions, smaller winSxS folder (if you're upgrading from Windows Vista or newer), non-corrupt system files and/or program files, etc. etc.

And what would you recommend in my situation? I bought Windows 8 and choose to get it with a digital download. I have no choice but to do an upgrade because the Windows 8 setup does not offer to let me save the file so I can burn it to a disk. I would love to do a clean install. I have a legal and legit product key.

January 29, 2013 7:13:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kona0197,
And what would you recommend in my situation? I bought Windows 8 and choose to get it with a digital download. I have no choice but to do an upgrade because the Windows 8 setup does not offer to let me save the file so I can burn it to a disk. I would love to do a clean install. I have a legal and legit product key.

My copy is a digital download and I had no issues doing a clean install. When you downloaded  and started the install of Win 8 there should be a option to install by creating media. You can save Win 8 to ISO or to a USB drive. If you saved your order details you can re-download Win 8 and create the media image, order details link below.

https://www.mswos.com/

January 29, 2013 11:54:19 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting kona0197,
I agree with Hadberz, the option was available in the beginning and for 'convenience sake' I opted to upgrade because MS recommended it ... if it weren't for brain farts, life would be so boring don't you think. Luckily, on one of my downloads I purchased a copy on disk which should be here in the next week ... the saga continues.

January 29, 2013 1:14:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Hadberz,
My copy is a digital download and I had no issues doing a clean install. When you downloaded and started the install of Win 8 there should be a option to install by creating media.

I get NO such option when I run the install I downloaded from Microsoft.

January 29, 2013 1:45:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Digital download of windows8 has the option to install windows8 with format or as upgrade... might depend on what version you have ( the systembuilder or OEM is able to do that ) http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2299-clean-install-windows-8-a.html 
i think its even possible to do so if you have no windows on your hdd ssd...or just inside of windows and not through coldboot.

January 29, 2013 3:56:15 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Can anyone confirm for sure that you can burn an installation disk during the digital purchase/download?  'Cause that's what I need.  I don't want to be required to install Win8 at the time of the download.

January 29, 2013 4:02:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Daiwa,
Can anyone confirm for sure that you can burn an installation disk during the digital purchase/download?  'Cause that's what I need.  I don't want to be required to install Win8 at the time of the download.

I was able to save as an ISO and burn it later.

I know you are given the option to burn during the download.

I chose to save it so I can reburn if needed later. So save the .iso

January 29, 2013 4:14:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Daiwa,
Can anyone confirm for sure that you can burn an installation disk during the digital purchase/download? 'Cause that's what I need. I don't want to be required to install Win8 at the time of the download.

I can confirm that there is no option to burn to a DVD. At least that's what is happening to me. It wants to do a install right after download, no option for anything else. I told the installer to install without backing anything up. I have no idea what's going on. I would rather install from a DVD.

January 29, 2013 4:39:21 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
I was able to save as an ISO and burn it later.

Thanks, RND.  And you can do that and stop at that point (without doing an upgrade or format/clean install at the time)?  Sorry if I'm being redundant but I want to be sure before the purchase.

January 29, 2013 5:35:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes. Once you have the ISO and a key, you can install at your leisure. You can even intstall it on a different machine, if you wish.

January 29, 2013 6:07:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm telling you guys that the installer will not let you burn an ISO image. Seriously do I need to post a video of the install process that I am going through? I downloaded the Windows 8 upgrade assistant. Purchased Windows 8. Used the link in the email I got from Microsoft to download the Windows 8 installer. No where and at no time was I offered the option to stop and save the image of Windows 8 to a USB drive or DVD disc. The installer wanted to install Windows 8 on the spot. So I guess I got screwed. Typical. Figures.

January 29, 2013 6:19:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

@ kona take a look at this http://techpp.com/2012/10/29/download-windows-8-pro-iso/ it will give you the option to install by creating a media in that downloader ( point 6 )

January 29, 2013 6:26:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,
I'm telling you guys that the installer will not let you burn an ISO image. Seriously do I need to post a video of the install process that I am going through? I downloaded the Windows 8 upgrade assistant. Purchased Windows 8. Used the link in the email I got from Microsoft to download the Windows 8 installer. No where and at no time was I offered the option to stop and save the image of Windows 8 to a USB drive or DVD disc. The installer wanted to install Windows 8 on the spot. So I guess I got screwed. Typical. Figures.

Kona, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but Windows 8 when I downloaded it, I was offered the option to install now, install by creating media (ISO File), or install later from an installer it places on my desktop.

If you choose the make media option, the install will ask if you want to open Windows Disc Image Maker to make the ISO.

Do you think I'm making it up?

See Wiz's link. Look at the screenshots. They paint a picture of exactly what I saw when I downloaded AND SAVED my Windows8 ISO.

January 29, 2013 6:27:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,
So I guess I got screwed

No, you can still download the ISO to use on a reinstall.  Just because you fail once at something doesn't mean everyone else will or that you can't do it.

You can save the ISO.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000594   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.