Attention shoppers: Another credit card fee is here

Weeeeeee!

By on January 26, 2013 2:43:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums External Link

WebGizmos

Join Date 09/2003
+695

It could soon cost you more to shop with a credit card at some stores. As of this Sunday, Jan. 27, merchants who accept credit cards issued by Visa and MasterCard will be allowed to add a service charge to the purchase price.

13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 26, 2013 3:10:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Oh grand. Your choice? Get a store credit card which probably has a monthly "maintenance fee".

Better idea: Organize shopper cooperatives and shop in the stores which don't play that game. 

January 26, 2013 3:25:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ya can use a discover card, pay cash or just boycott the stores.

January 26, 2013 3:30:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Oh grand. Your choice? Get a store credit card which probably has a monthly "maintenance fee".

Better idea: Organize shopper cooperatives and shop in the stores which don't play that game. 

Or like me. Wait till you have the cash than go buy it. If you don't have the cash chances are you shouldn't be buying it anyway. Exception for me is if I have to buy on line.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 26, 2013 3:39:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't believe in credit cards. Why should I pay just so I can spend what little bucks I have. That's crazy!! I like cash, its easier and if I got to buy something not in a store near me there are always money orders. Some money orders only cost .69 cents. Hope they don't jack up the price for those things. Imagine buying a money order and the charge, like some credit card fees, is $5.00 but the money order is for two. No thanks.

January 26, 2013 3:42:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveBax,
Wait till you have the cash than go buy it. If you don't have the cash chances are you shouldn't be buying it anyway.

Agree. Who wants to be like the government, anyway?

January 26, 2013 3:45:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A bank debit card still works fine here........probably do away with those or find a way to charge you extra.  I haven't had a credit card since I retired from the military.

January 27, 2013 6:06:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It could soon cost you more to shop with a credit card at some stores. As of this Sunday, Jan. 27, merchants who accept credit cards issued by Visa and MasterCard will be allowed to add a service charge to the purchase price.

They've been doing that here in Oz for years... adding fees to the purchase price when a credit card is used.  F**k that, I'll never ever use a credit card... they cost enough to operate without more charges being added.  Nope, it's cash only for me, and my debit card, which is like spending my own cash when I shop online, but electronically.

January 28, 2013 4:43:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Slightly OT......a question for starkers. What was it call before it became electronic?

January 28, 2013 5:15:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Can't believe you guys have had free services with credit cards, as starkers had said, we have paid a service fee for some time now. With the large US banks buying up the smaller ones they probably think there is less competition, time to raise the profits ...

January 28, 2013 7:41:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
A bank debit card still works fine here

I saw a news flash about this on TV. They say debit cards will not be affected.

January 28, 2013 10:01:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting Philly0381, reply 6A bank debit card still works fine here

I saw a news flash about this on TV. They say debit cards will not be affected.

There are some banks and credit unions that charge you a fee unless you use your debit card as  a credit card.  I suppose the stores will  add  in the service charge in those cases.
January 28, 2013 12:27:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That might be one out but how long will that last.

January 28, 2013 12:30:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well there still is the old standby........money.........unfortunately you have to wait a little longer to get your change while the cashier tries to figure it out..........  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000672   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.