Play only when desktop is fully showing

Instead of pausing when maximized

By on January 25, 2013 8:01:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

some1anywhere

Join Date 10/2012
+7

I bought DeskScapes in November and I have a feature request. Can Stardock make DeskScapes play the video only when the desktop is fully shown and all windows are minimized (or when doing Aero Peek) but not play the video at all if only a part of the desktop background is showing? A checkbox option like "Play only when all windows are minimized". I know Deskscapes automatically stops playing the video when a window is maximized, but I don't want the video to play even if part of the desktop is showing. Only play it when the whole desktop is showing. Except gadgets of course. The video should play even if Gadgets are on top.

Also, there should be 'Time to start playing after logon' so the video playing doesn't slow down the programs playing at logon. Please add these.

23 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 27, 2013 11:19:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I think that is a great suggestion. It should, at least, be an option. Yes?

February 27, 2013 11:44:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am not an expert on this, but I seriously doubt if anything like that could be done.

February 27, 2013 12:13:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I know Deskscapes automatically stops playing the video when a window is maximized, but I don't want the video to play even if part of the desktop is showing

wrong if you maximize the window the video is still running  and that is good for people that have a dual screen tripple or quad screen setup and above.
You could just go and pause the dream it is done with 2 clicks...right click on the desktop and then in the dropdown menu pause Deskscapes.
The option for deskscapes to start hooked on a timer would be cool but why ? normaly everything is loaded instantly just a few programs need to dial up but that is normal
i doubt that even if you had a pci express ssd card as main drive that wthe loadup time would change that dramatically i know nobody that can start his computer and has all programs up and running the same second the desktop appears.
But i dont want to hold you up to implement more /more options are always welcome but personally i dont see no real need for them.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 25, 2013 2:17:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Roloccolor,

I know Deskscapes automatically stops playing the video when a window is maximized, but I don't want the video to play even if part of the desktop is showing
wrong if you maximize the window the video is still running  and that is good for people that have a dual screen tripple or quad screen setup and above.
You could just go and pause the dream it is done with 2 clicks...right click on the desktop and then in the dropdown menu pause Deskscapes.
The option for deskscapes to start hooked on a timer would be cool but why ? normaly everything is loaded instantly just a few programs need to dial up but that is normal
i doubt that even if you had a pci express ssd card as main drive that wthe loadup time would change that dramatically i know nobody that can start his computer and has all programs up and running the same second the desktop appears.
But i dont want to hold you up to implement more /more options are always welcome but personally i dont see no real need for them.

I believe you are mistaken Rolocolor. At least on the display where the window is maximized, DeskScapes stops playing the video to save resources as there is no point in continuing to play it if you can't see the video.

So, can Stardock listen to my original request and add a "Play Dream only when desktop is fully showing" option?

January 2, 2014 10:54:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bump. I would like a response from Stardock please. I bought DeskScapes because I believed Stardock listens to users and in this day and age, saving battery life on any device is important so an option to "Play Dream only when all windows are minimized" or "Play only when majority of the desktop is showing" would be really appreciated.

January 3, 2014 12:54:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,

I bought DeskScapes in November and I have a feature request. Can Stardock make DeskScapes play the video only when the desktop is fully shown and all windows are minimized (or when doing Aero Peek) but not play the video at all if only a part of the desktop background is showing? A checkbox option like "Play only when all windows are minimized". I know Deskscapes automatically stops playing the video when a window is maximized, but I don't want the video to play even if part of the desktop is showing. Only play it when the whole desktop is showing. Except gadgets of course. The video should play even if Gadgets are on top.

Also, there should be 'Time to start playing after logon' so the video playing doesn't slow down the programs playing at logon. Please add these.

wow! Do you really think that Deskscapes is a movie to watch It's video WALLPAPER!

I don't get what your issue is.   If you don't want it to run, change to something else in Personalization.

January 4, 2014 1:18:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

number74, that's what the problem is with people like you. You don't get what the issue is - wasted resources playing the video even when just a tiny portion of the desktop is showing. Why in fact even if a window isn't maximized but occupying 70-80% of the desktop, the video will be unnecessarily played wasting GPU resources, CPU and reducing battery life. I am requesting an enhancement to save battery life and you here are suggesting workarounds. Hilarious.

What's the point running it you can't see it? Is this concept so difficult to grasp? It already stops when a window is fully maximized. I am merely requesting a slight enhancement to stop playing the video even when say 60% or more of the desktop is covered.

January 4, 2014 9:19:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting some1anywhere,
wasting GPU resources, CPU and reducing battery life. I am requesting an enhancement to save battery life and you here are suggesting workarounds. Hilarious.

Seriously......If those are real issues for you, then I suggest you just stick with static wallpapers, at least when running on battery power. 

(or as benmanns suggested;  pause the dream it is done with 2 clicks...right click on the desktop and then in the dropdown menu pause Deskscapes.)

What I find hilarious is that you obviously think Stardock will rewrite a program for what, so far, is a total of two users, even though this post is almost a year old. 

Suggestions are always welcome, but your "request" reads  more like  something you feel you are somehow entitled to.

January 4, 2014 11:12:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As a laptop user, my "opinion" is that if you're worried about power consumption, you should not run DeskScapes when on battery power. It's a no brainer. 

January 4, 2014 11:34:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

January 5, 2014 12:18:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Seriously......If those are real issues for you, then I suggest you just stick with static wallpapers, at least when running on battery power.

(or as benmanns suggested;  pause the dream it is done with 2 clicks...right click on the desktop and then in the dropdown menu pause Deskscapes.)

What I find hilarious is that you obviously think Stardock will rewrite a program for what, so far, is a total of two users, even though this post is almost a year old. 

Suggestions are always welcome, but your "request" reads  more like  something you feel you are somehow entitled to.

Are you a developer for Stardock? Where did you get the idea that it needs to be rewritten? In fact, what you suggest me to do manually as it's only "2 clicks" can be done automatically. I am merely expecting a reply from someone from Stardock, I understand that some feature requests may be rejected. Unfortunately, no one from Stardock has replied. Android devices also have the concept of live wallpaper. You don't see other users going around telling other people how to use their computers or attacking someone for making a feature request that the company support doesn't even bother replying to!

And no I don't think I am entitled to any guarantee that every feature request will be listened to but I definitely think I am entitled to an official response from Stardock.

January 5, 2014 12:22:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting some1anywhere,
Unfortunately, no one from Stardock has replied.

You'll find that Stardock hasn't the time to respond to all feature requests. I have been here since 2004, made many feature requests, several went unanswered. They have a lot to do.

January 5, 2014 12:29:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting some1anywhere, reply 11Unfortunately, no one from Stardock has replied.

You'll find that Stardock hasn't the time to respond to all feature requests. I have been here since 2004, made many feature requests, several went unanswered. They have a lot to do.

You are kidding right? They do not bother replying in forums to users who purchased their apps? Oh well then I give up.

January 5, 2014 12:29:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting some1anywhere,
You don't see other users going around telling other people how to use their computers or attacking someone for making a feature request
This is a user driven forum, we all try to help, and are somewhat expected to do so.

If you want Stardock only responses, post in a support forum.

You were not attacked. Attacks are prohibited here. Just saying.

January 5, 2014 12:32:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting some1anywhere,
You are kidding right? They do not bother replying in forums to users who purchased their apps? Oh well then I give up.

I didn't say they don't bother. If you'll look, this site has over 5 million members. Stardock hasn't got the time to respond to each and every request. If they did, they wouldn't get much else done.

Why is that so hard to get?

January 5, 2014 12:33:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Could you point me to where the support forum specifically for DeskScapes is?

January 5, 2014 12:39:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
January 5, 2014 12:45:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If I knew that in these forums, Stardock only "sometimes" replied to select people and others try to tell you how you should use your PC and belittle you just because they don't approve of a feature request, I would have asked my question where I was guaranteed an official reply at least.

January 5, 2014 12:47:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"Guaranteed" is a tad over expecting, but do post a support thread. Non support users may still try to help.

January 5, 2014 6:42:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Still I don't expect morons on the internet telling me how to use my PC and giving me their stupid advice when the question was towards Stardock who I learned now don't bother to reply.

January 5, 2014 9:11:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting some1anywhere,
Still I don't expect morons on the internet telling me how to use my PC and giving me their stupid advice when the question was towards Stardock who I learned now don't bother to reply.

It would be wise to revise your attitude towards fellow Forum users.

I think it's 'official' enough to say that if someone was concerned with unnecessary battery use he'd disable 'unnecessary' services/features....

January 5, 2014 9:12:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

some1anywhere...

Best advice? Write to Support. They probably have a backlog, but work M-F, 9-5. Save the auto-reply (has your ticket #) and don't reply until an actual person answers.

*didn't see your reply, Jafo.

*refresh rate!

January 5, 2014 10:49:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

some1anywhere:

First off, there are few if indeed any"morons" here at WinCustomize. and for the most part, you will get solid advice here. The advice was given by experienced users in a non-support forum. These are user driven forums so that's how things work around here. If you feel two clicks are too many to accomplish your task, or using existing options are too difficult for you, that does not constitute stupid advice.

Second: No one was "telling" you how to use your computer. What were offered were suggestions  just like your request  for an enhancement. I doubt SD thinks you are "telling" them how to make their programs simply by making said suggestion,nor were we by offering ours so climb down off the high horse you rode in on.

If you will read the EULA, nowhere does it mention that users are "guaranteed an official reply" in any forum for any reason. Stardock does listen, but as I mentioned, so far there have been a total of two users who see a need for such an option, (which may be far more difficult to incorporate into the program than you realize), in almost a year now.

Replies #21 and #22 sum things up nicely so I am done here and will exit this thread with a wish for you to have a Happy and Bright New Year.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.