Disabling Fences causes screen brightness/color to go way up

By on January 23, 2013 3:17:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

bugmenow

Join Date 03/2009
+2

I'm trying out the demo version of Fences with Win7 64. When I disable Fences my screen's brightness/contrast/color increases drastically. If I change resolution or color depth it goes back to normal. Why does it do this?

Also, why isn't there a system tray icon for the program and why doesn't it show up in Task Manager? That's strange that there's no indication at all that it's running.

I was thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling to see if it would fix the color/brightness problem. The uninstaller asks me to make sure Fences is closed before proceeding but how do I know if it's closed if there's no indication it's running? Is disabling the program considered closing the program?

Lastly, did Fences change the selection rectangle color to blue or was it always that way? I can't remember but I just got the feeling it looks different.

6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 23, 2013 10:44:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm trying out the demo version of Fences with Win7 64. When I disable Fences my screen's brightness/contrast/color increases drastically. If I change resolution or color depth it goes back to normal. Why does it do this?

We've not seen this before.  I'd look at your video drivers.

Also, why isn't there a system tray icon for the program and why doesn't it show up in Task Manager? That's strange that there's no indication at all that it's running.

Because Fences runs in the explorer process

The uninstaller asks me to make sure Fences is closed before proceeding but how do I know if it's closed if there's no indication it's running? Is disabling the program considered closing the program?

Yes.

Lastly, did Fences change the selection rectangle color to blue or was it always that way?

Always blue.

January 23, 2013 4:59:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have an Nvidia GTX 460 with the latest video drivers. The settings in the Nvidia control panel are pretty normal I don't see what could be causing it.

January 23, 2013 6:24:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I uninstalled and reinstalled Fences and the brightness problem did not happen this time. I guess it was a glitch.  Thanks for the reply.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 23, 2013 7:16:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting bugmenow,
I have an Nvidia GTX 460 with the latest video drivers. The settings in the Nvidia control panel are pretty normal I don't see what could be causing it.

Just an interesting general point....'the latest drivers' are not always the best, as being new they can have bugs yet to be sorted....

January 23, 2013 9:05:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I realize that but there's no way to know without trying it and even then you can't be sure if it's the cause unless Nvidia or a large number of users confirm it. I don't think Fences is a program that Nvidia or a lot of people are going to test for lol

January 23, 2013 9:59:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting bugmenow,
I don't think Fences is a program that Nvidia or a lot of people are going to test for lol

Were it a potential driver issue I am certain nVidia would test for it...as Fences is quite popular/widely used....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.