Member Rank

How To Tell.........

By on January 22, 2013 7:28:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

RedneckDude

Join Date 04/2009
+1426

This thread is written to the powers that be, here on WC..

I noticed today that someone had posted something about a member here, but they had gotten the rank wrong. In trying to help with this, I noticed that there is really no way to be sure of what a member's rank is, for those who don't have sites. It's not on our profile pages.

So, in effect, there's really not much recognition for ranks less than Journeyman. What would be the point?

I'm certain this has been brought up before.

We have info under the avatars. Why not put the rank there too? Or on our profiles? Or on the dropdown you get when clicking on a member's name above the avatar?

Lotsa places to put it. Every member has a profile page. Seems this would be the best place.

Support avatars say support under the avatar. Mods too.

How hard would it be to get ranks shown?

We are a skinning community. Customizers abound. We PAY a fee/subscription. Why is it that WC looks so drab, yet GalCiv2, Elemental, Sins, all the gaming sites have a nice theme. We get blue/white/drab.

So, is it so much to ask to get some info on rank somehow connected to one's membership?

EDIT:  I'd much rather know a member's rank rather than their join date. (Especially since mine's so inaccurate.... )

79 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 22, 2013 7:57:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Every member has a profile page.

And it is live, that is it is updated with current posts, karma, replies, that sort of information. It can be and is updated. Personal sites may be long gone, no guestbooks, no photos, no Current/Past customer. No WC subscriber, top whatever elder, no EXILED, no ranking system in evidence anywhere. All of these skinners worked hard, on their own dime and time, to get where they are. How about letting the rest of the world in on that fact?

Everyone has a profile that can accessed from the forums in a dropdown menu. Instead of a dead link to a personal site that may or may not exist, why not put our ranking and Subscriber badges there?

Why is it the site can add social links but cannot have at least some of the member information that was visible on the Personal Sites be there on our profile page?

Rank, member status and site supporting subscribers info. Not much to add, I'd trade a g+1, Tweet and  f Like for that any day.

As for the WinCustomize site look and public face:

All the SD sites have a "look" or theme. Here, the home of some of if not THE best skinners anywhere,  we get plain vanilla, boring and unappealing. It's a good thing the galleries brighten the place up or it would look like Grandma's bathroom.

January 22, 2013 8:10:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I got a nice silk texture.

January 22, 2013 8:52:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Or on our profiles?

It actually already is, but it's only visible to moderators and up... though it used to be public on the old forums circa 2003.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 22, 2013 9:00:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kryo,
It actually already is, but it's only visible to moderators and up...

Well then, it ain't...lol. 

January 22, 2013 9:17:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kryo,

Or on our profiles?

It actually already is, but it's only visible to moderators and up... though it used to be public on the old forums circa 2003.

Sorry to disabuse you about that, kryo.

I don't see anyone's rank on the profile page. Perhaps it is to Admins... wouldn't know.

January 22, 2013 9:25:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Probably requires Super Wizop. But regardless, the fact that it is there but hidden to most would seem to indicate there's a reason for it not being public any longer. Beats me what that would be (wouldn't seem to be for security reasons, due to other factors like the top ranks being listed on the WC About page anyway).

January 22, 2013 9:56:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Damn it, I thought this was gonna be like a celebrity roast......... 

January 22, 2013 10:20:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

bk13GarbageMan!!! How the heck are ya? Good to see you.

January 22, 2013 10:21:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes...they are visible to those who can alter the levels, effectively.

It was listed for everyone once...but I'm willing to bet the link/function was 'broken' when the Personal Pages were disabled [thanks mostly to a few nutters out there].

It'd be nice to see the access rankings back visible...in the avatar 'space'...above or below the Member No ....either way...

January 22, 2013 10:23:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

BTW....mine doesn't say 'Admin' either ...which probably would help new people to the site...rather than searching on the 'about' page...

January 22, 2013 10:25:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi Fred!!!!   Good to see you!!!!  

January 22, 2013 10:27:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
It'd be nice to see the access rankings back visible...in the avatar 'space'...above or below the Member No ....either way...

'Twould be perfect!

January 22, 2013 10:33:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks guys, hope all is well with everybody.

January 22, 2013 10:45:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting bk13GarbageMan,
Thanks guys, hope all is well with everybody.

Hey Fred hello to you. Glad you are Ok. Yes i'm still here didn't kick the bucket yet.

January 22, 2013 10:51:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When I joined in 2004, member rank was displayed under the name and avatar in the gallery comments.

This feature was then promised for the forums in an upcoming update but never eventuated.

Each upgrade seemed to bring problems with good features being lost or screwed up, many of which were never fixed...that the smaller things seemed to get lost...

At least we females are now showing 'female' in our profiles....that took a loooong while.... Thanks for cleaning that up.       

Hi Fred......good to see ya....   

January 22, 2013 10:52:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Only because the bucket would kick back.

Hi Fred...

Hi DB

January 22, 2013 10:56:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey Dave, Syd, Ross.... 

January 22, 2013 11:13:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting sydneysiders,
At least we females are now showing 'female' in our profiles....that took a loooong while.... Thanks for cleaning that up.

People had to sit gynecology and surgery exams first.....

January 22, 2013 11:43:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The only place my rank shows is in my profile...good enough for me...I even asked Philly not to list it in his suites descriptions. Just didn't feel it was important...skinning is.

January 23, 2013 12:13:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Giz, I looked, it's on your site, not your profile. And newer members don't have sites.

Yes, skinning is important. But sometimes, when you are listing info, you need to know one's rank.

I'm proud of my rank. It took 7 years to get there.

I wish my join date could be corrected, but that is a dream.

January 23, 2013 12:47:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

NO site for me -Rank: Master apprentice

January 23, 2013 3:08:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not sure about that abbreviation you used there RND, did you call Webgizmos"GIZ",awfully close to , well you know!Jizmos, minus the mos. Thanks for the laugh even if unintentional.

Ranking:

Master

beginner

Doortech.

Man, that is a long way up, are there any elevators in this place, i am in a hurry.

January 23, 2013 4:58:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Didn't we once have badges under our names briefly........ I remember a lot of discussion about that some years ago.

January 23, 2013 5:26:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey DoorTech...........

I joined back in 06 then the puter I had at the time got replaced (still working back then) by a slightly newer model. It was some time before I got back on the net and back into skinning. I was an Apprentice back them. When I made Master Apprentice it damn near bowled me over. I said I was a real person again. I think that was in 2010. Took me from then until now to make Journeyman. To be honest, as proud as I am of my rank, it isn't the end all and be all. What makes me proud for real is being a member here of any rank. As for Master....I've got a long ways to go before that and I'm in no hurry. I look at the work the Masters create and I am in awe of some. If I get half as good as them I will consider that an accomplishment. WC Masters rock!! 

January 23, 2013 5:47:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,
Didn't we once have badges under our names briefly........ I remember a lot of discussion about that some years ago.

Badges, We don't need no stinking badges! Sorry, famous movie line.

Uvah, just shut up , Leave me alone, I will cry if I want to, its my party, you would cry to, if it happened to you. Good song.

I know I still suck at skinning, but I am at my greatest level of suckiness yet, so I am improving, am I correct?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000922   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.