Clam AntiVirus

Anyone use?

By on January 21, 2013 11:46:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums External Link

LizMarr

Join Date 05/2006
+46

I fired up my Windows 2003 Small Business Server the other day (finally got a hub so I had a wire for it) and discovered that years ago when I last used it I had installed ClamWin AV.  Well, I decided to snoop around to see why I was using it, besides it being free for a server, and it seems to have good marks. I found it interesting that it says it will run side-by-side with any of several AV products.

Why alongside of another - isn't one enough? Has anyone even heard of/use this open source solution?

7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 21, 2013 11:50:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have it as a Portable App. IIRC, it is an On-Demand AV. Therefore, it could be used alongside a real-time AV solution.

From the ClamWin site: Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.

January 21, 2013 1:09:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I wondered about that. Do they mean when you download a file or run a file they will not scan? So it is needed to right-click (I suppose) and run the program on the file? With all the scare about viruses, worms, and such that eat your computer I was thinking of something that would reinforce what I already have (which is MS)

January 21, 2013 1:12:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If no auto scan why use it?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 21, 2013 1:19:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
If no auto scan why use it?
As a portable app, it can be used to clean out a system that may have infections that have disabled an installed AV and/or Malwarebytes or a similar program.

January 21, 2013 1:22:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LizMarr,
Do they mean when you download a file or run a file they will not scan? So it is needed to right-click (I suppose) and run the program on the file?
That is correct. No harm in double checking something, even if it turns out to be a false positive. It isn't a replacement for a real-time AV, more of a "second opinion"

January 21, 2013 2:52:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting Uvah, reply 3If no auto scan why use it?
As a portable app, it can be used to clean out a system that may have infections that have disabled an installed AV and/or Malwarebytes or a similar program.

That's pretty cool Wiz. I use Emsisoft for that. Very effective.

January 22, 2013 8:16:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

On the server it does a scheduled scan. It is no longer hosting my private web site and it is primarily used for files. Slowly I am gleaning all the "good" files off of the server, my web cam server (old Dell desktop - reliable little bugger) and two laptops. 1.5 TB portable drive is big enough to hold all the goodies from all of them. I remember that one reason I chose it was for its small footprint. It is also religious about auto-updating. I run AVG on the Dell but I find it takes up a lot of memory on the poor thing.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000969   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.