keyboard buttons assigned to icons

By on January 18, 2013 9:12:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

arvindsond

Join Date 01/2013

Hi guys, I was wondering if there was anyway to create a new shortcut icon on an objectdock but have that icon represent a keyboard key

I'm basically looking at buying a new windows8 tablet and wanted a dock on the left hand side for Ctrl, Alt, Shift and Spacebar

So when the icon in the objectdock is continually pressed down it would be like pressing down on the one of the above keyboard keys

Does anyone know of a way of doing this?

Thanks

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 18, 2013 9:39:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

In theory you could tie a OD shortcut to a vbs file that called a keypress command . . but I've no idea how it would actually work.

January 18, 2013 9:45:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hmmm, is there a tutorial for this type of thing, never worked with vbs files before???

Also does anyone know if I kept the icon in the dock pressed down, would that have the same effect as pressing down that particular key on the keyboard?

Thanks

January 18, 2013 10:11:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting arvindsond,
Also does anyone know if I kept the icon in the dock pressed down, would that have the same effect as pressing down that particular key on the keyboard?

no. if ObjectDock works as most other programs, an action, script, program, whatever is executed when you release the pressed mouse button. nothing happens when you just press it down.

as you have no experience in VBS, you might find this link useful. it contains a little tool called sendkey.exe which does exactly what you want. for a documentation on keys, look here.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 18, 2013 10:42:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for the replies guys, i'll check out the links

Is there a way to press down once on the OD icon and have that result in the keyboard key being constantly pressed down, and then press the OD icon again to disconnect the keyboard key?

Thanks

January 18, 2013 11:26:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting arvindsond,
Is there a way to press down once on the OD icon and have that result in the keyboard key being constantly pressed down, and then press the OD icon again to disconnect the keyboard key?
I don't think so . . and I can see how that could go badly.

January 18, 2013 11:57:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

In that case does anyone know of a tool, app, piece of software that will do this for me!

Basically I would like to use certain softwares in tablet mode and but will need access to Ctrl, Alt, Shift and Spacebar, for common controls within the software, theres gotta to be an on screen version of this somewhere, and ive tried modlock, buts its not quite what im looking for, something more like artdock but that works for windows 8?

Thanks

January 18, 2013 3:31:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

Quoting arvindsond, reply 5Is there a way to press down once on the OD icon and have that result in the keyboard key being constantly pressed down, and then press the OD icon again to disconnect the keyboard key?I don't think so . . and I can see how that could go badly.

you just need a variable in a script and IF/ELSEIF actions. 

January 18, 2013 3:40:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting arvindsond,
In that case does anyone know of a tool, app, piece of software that will do this for me!

Basically I would like to use certain softwares in tablet mode and but will need access to Ctrl, Alt, Shift and Spacebar, for common controls within the software, theres gotta to be an on screen version of this somewhere, and ive tried modlock, buts its not quite what im looking for, something more like artdock but that works for windows 8?

Thanks

there's plenty of tools that would make that possible, but you would need to learn how to script it.

honestly, i think your best bet is the on-screen keyboard that comes with Windows.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000343   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.