Windowblinds & Firefox 18 Problems

Corrupt titlebars

By on January 14, 2013 4:35:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Unkn0wn

Join Date 07/2003

Whats the deal with Windowblinds and Firefox 18, I have corrupt titlebars and can't close Firefox at all because the buttons aren't there, even when I exclude it in the Wiindowblinds settings the problem is still there.

EDIT: it's also happening with Thunderbird, even though it's excluded too.

22 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 14, 2013 8:38:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am using Firefox 18.0 here and Windowblinds with no issues at all. Now Thunderbird is another story, and you are right, the titlebars are all messed up. But as it does not occur in Thunderbird 16.0.1 and below, it is evidently something Mozilla did starting with Thunderbird 17.0 and up, and not a Windowblinds issue. But if Stardock could do something to compensate for and fix the issue however, that would be sweet!

January 14, 2013 8:45:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I updated to 18 a couple of days ago without any issues at all. As for Thunderbird...don't use it.

January 14, 2013 3:32:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have fixed both problems by unistalling Windowblinds and re-downloading it direct  from the Stardock website (instead of downloading though Stardock Central).

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 14, 2013 3:49:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am running latest windowblinds and firefox18 with no problems.

January 14, 2013 6:19:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

removed the mess...[admin]

I believe you can fix mozilla. open what you see in the screen and enable menu bar.Will not fix thunderbird though.

January 14, 2013 6:26:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Got me guys, supposed to be a screen capture!Wow.So, manual suggestions I guess.

Top left of your Mozilla screen, an orange tab, open with the arrow,hover to options, enable menu bar. Should get your buttons back. Will not work for thunderbird.You can still click on button area in thunderbird and close, just no buttons visible.

Stardock, sorry about the screen, guess I can not drag and drop images? Feel free to delete.

January 14, 2013 6:33:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting doortech1,
I can not drag and drop images?
Nope, you need to upload to an image hosting site like ImageShack or Photobucket. Then get the link to use here. Then just click on the little tree in the reply box toolbar to insert it.

January 14, 2013 6:48:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank you wizard, I wondered how that worked. Your always on top of things. Thanks again for the info.

January 15, 2013 7:12:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Same problem here. Happens with all skins. Turning on the menu bar works, but it's a terrible workaround.

Need an update fast!

January 15, 2013 7:26:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
Under no circumstances should you exclude Firefox, Office or similar apps from WB skinning as they will be confused about the DWM being on, but themes being off.

From LINK

January 15, 2013 7:44:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

[quote who="doortech1" reply="5" id="3308244"]removed the mess...[admin]

THANK YOU ADMIN> Apologies.

January 15, 2013 7:47:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just wanted to add, you could leave the menu bar off and still have caption buttons, but only when not in full screen. Some people do not browse in fullscreen, I usually do not. You can switch back and forth to fullscreen  by double clicking the top window frame area. Just more FYI.

January 15, 2013 9:36:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That must've been some mess. Sorry I missed it. Double clicking on the top bar does the same as clicking on the middle button. what's it called again, min/max? 

January 16, 2013 3:21:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes Uvah, but when there is no buttons I refer too. Obviously, buttons are more user friendly, but you need buttons first. Thanks wise guy.

January 16, 2013 9:10:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have a similar problem. But for me, when I use Windowblinds and Firefox 18, the FF screen starts up as normal then a split second later, the whole thing turns black. I have to move the mouse around a bit and click some stuff before I can get a usable screen again. When I try to disable FF from Windowblinds, I too am missing the buttons doortech1 speaks of. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and all that to no avail. I am currently using the default Win 7 skin and everything is working fine.

Black screen:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/blackhl.jpg/

Missing buttons:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/20130116060358.jpg/

Any suggestions? Am using the latest WB downloaded from the Stardock store. Oh, and I've tried doing showing/unshowing all the menu bars, bookmarks, etc. with no luck.

January 16, 2013 7:07:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've had problems with WB and Firefox since Firefox switched to the "unibar" layout a while back. If I try to use FF with the skin, it just keeps flickering and is completely unusable - my guess is WB is trying to skin a non-existent titlebar.

Never had any problems with WB and Thunderbird though.

January 16, 2013 8:17:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Dunno if this'll help, but I solved my problem. Turns out I had to disable hardware acceleration inside Firefox. After I did that, everything reverted back to normal. Geez, if I'd only figured it out sooner...

February 13, 2013 10:49:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Turning off hardware acceleration did it!  All of the control items display properly in menus and on web pages.  On top of that my font rendering is smoother.  I don't really notice much of a performance hit either.  Thanks Incognizant.  I was starting to blame many of the skins that I like for the problems until I realized that the problem was only when I was in FF.

February 21, 2013 9:30:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Incognizant,
Dunno if this'll help, but I solved my problem. Turns out I had to disable hardware acceleration inside Firefox. After I did that, everything reverted back to normal. Geez, if I'd only figured it out sooner...

Thank You !!

Finally, I am able to use FF properly.

March 15, 2013 3:53:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

disabling hardware acceleration did not fix it for me I'm on 19.02. Has any worked out how to fix this issue without enabling the title bar? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as this seems to have been going on for 3 months now, without any real resolution in sight.

March 15, 2013 4:10:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Skins without transparent min, max , close button transparency work fine in Thunderbird. Only transparent buttons turn black.Sticking with an alpha channel issue between the two, my guess anyhow.

March 21, 2013 10:53:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not being a fan of Mozilla's constant version bumping I had stuck with certain items for a long time.

Been using Thunderbird 3.1.20 but finally decided to go to 17.x on Windows XP. Version 17 was all over the place. There was no titlebar and attempts at resizing tbird caused it to grow and shrink. I clicked on the maximize button and it started running all over the screen from top to bottom and right to left (dual monitors so it had a lot of room to run). Strangest thing ever.

Did a search and found this as the most recent thread concerning WB and TB. I fixed the problem and everything is now back to normal as when I was using 3.1.20 and briefly 10.#esr.

Firstly I had to exclude thunderbird.exe from WB. Once started (still no titlebar but at least it stood still) I went into config editor and looked around for things I thought might be an issue such as gfx, accel, render, etc (like when FF 4 came out). Nothing there. Since I didn't like the location of the tabs I also looked to see if there was an option for that. That's when I found the following:

mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar (set to True by default)

So that's why everything was strange. Tabs and titlebar were essentially one. Set it to false, closed tbird, removed tbird from WB's exclusion, and restarted. TB 17 started up just fine with skinned titlebar and no running around or sizing problems.

So now I'm good. Also I've decided that if I'm going to use Moz products I'll go the esr route. Stick with one major version for awhile while still getting security fixes and whatnot.

Marc

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001641   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.