Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

SSD Write Speeds Cut In Half

Any Ideas?

By on January 13, 2013 5:27:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

RedneckDude

Join Date 04/2009
+1454

Hey guys. I'm posting this in hopes that someone out there has had my problem and has the answer.

I seem to have lost half my write speed on an OCZ Agility 4 SSD.

256 GB Sata III on a Sata III Mobo.

Trim enabled.  ACHI mode.

1-13-2013 result on left....2012 on right.

EDIT: Windows 7 64 bit.  16 GB ram.

50 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 13, 2013 5:54:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Seriously, though... what did you do last before this started?

Also... are you dealing with compressed or non compressed data? Compressed data will artificially bounce speeds up.

Are the "pre" numbers from before installing W8?

Also depends on your cache size and NAND. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6143/ocz-agility-4-256gb-review/3

January 13, 2013 6:01:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

How full was the drive at each instance?

January 13, 2013 6:04:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

(Seriously, though... what did you do last before this started?)

Installed a graphics card.

(Also... are you dealing with compressed or non compressed data? Compressed data will artificially bounce speeds up.)

Whatever the benchmark program uses, Doc, it was the same program and settings both times.

Are the "pre" numbers from before installing W8?

Windows 8 is on a different rig.  Windows 7 only.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 13, 2013 6:06:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
How full was the drive at each instance?

That info is in the screenshots. 

Now: 39% of 238 GB.

Then:  23% of 238 GB.

January 13, 2013 6:16:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Time for a yrag consult.

January 13, 2013 6:19:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It will be interesting to hear, after you contact the maker of the SSD, as to what may have caused the difference in the write speeds. 

January 13, 2013 6:38:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I will be researching the OCZ forums. I appreciate any and all input here from those who have SSDs or knowledge of.

January 13, 2013 7:06:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jim, I think your answer is going to be here:  http://www.anandtech.com/print/5817

and has to do with incompressible data write rates.

Here:  http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2281922

Anand's own testing showed rates comparable to what you're seeing, so I don't think you actually have a problem.

January 13, 2013 7:34:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

From what I have read, an SSD drive after it "settles in" loses some speed, even on WEI.

January 13, 2013 7:39:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
From what I have read, an SSD drive after it "settles in" loses some speed, even on WEI.

But half?

What's the point then?

January 13, 2013 8:12:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
What's the point then?

It's still way above the speeds of a platter...

January 13, 2013 9:30:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I seem to have lost half my write speed

Sharpen your crayon.

January 14, 2013 2:33:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Redneck i have owned MANY OCZ items and just RMA it they have excellent customer support even if you no longer have warranty they will do what they can to fix it for a small fee. 

January 14, 2013 10:14:39 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

part of the problem is OCZ drives are of very poor quality compared to much of what else is availabl despite all of the raving over them across tech. sites

sustained random write iops is the single most important metric across the board; try comparing a Mushkin "enhanced chronos" or current-generation Corsair drive off NewEgg or elsewhere to the current and recent-history generations of OCZ consumer drives...   there's a reason their company almost went under!

have you checked to see if any firmware updates are available?   ...did your benchmarking software get updated and begin disabling trim temporarily (or hopefully not permanently) for "testing purposes" ?

p.s; had a bit of trouble following this thread but did you say that you installed a new video card..? that may have had something to do with it - if you don't manually set your pagefile size windows would have automatically increased the initial paging filesize on your default page drive (boot drive, which I'm assuming is your ssd) while also increasing the reserved freespace for its expansion and copying any data from the front of the address-space to make room - that can be a taxing operation especially if your ssd had an abundance of temporary or unmovable files or/and pending updates around the time the operation occured

January 14, 2013 10:40:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey RND,

to your screenshot it looks like something interfered while you made that diskmark...not the one you have currently made the old one
The thing is i tested a lot of SSD´s and never had a write speed that was higher than the reading spead on all of the write tests.
you should check out writing speed of your SSD....
i know it can go up to close 400 write im pretty sure it can lets say 350-60 but jumping over the marker 400 cant be correct since it is listed and tested with specifications  read: 400MB/s • write: 300MB/s so you can see there is no way it will cross the 400MB write marker...something has to be gone wrong in the previous test. The results of your current test are ok like Doc said and when comparing the test with the specs. .

January 14, 2013 12:07:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Log off at night. It will activate GC.

.....and stop doing 'speed/performance' tests. You should have a 'feel' for the speed of your own computer. If it's running right, leave it the fuck be. 

January 14, 2013 12:21:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting yrag,
If it's running right, leave it the fuck be.

Yeah, like that's going to happen......right after I win the lottery.

January 14, 2013 12:22:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting yrag,
Log off at night. It will activate GC

I shut down at night. So, log off and leave it running?

January 14, 2013 6:05:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
So, log off and leave it running?

Quoting yrag,
Log off at night. It will activate GC.

January 14, 2013 8:25:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

January 14, 2013 8:27:50 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I know the older OCZ ssd's had lots of complaints of failures, that's why I was kind of nervous about getting the Vertex 4, but with a 5 year warranty it looked like they were finally backing the product with some level of confidence. The Vertex 4 is insane in terms of speed. Like yrag said, I only had to use it to know it was insane in terms of speed. 

January 14, 2013 9:07:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Log out and leave the computer on the login screen for a few hours a week. That's the best way to ensure GC is working. There is no way to turn it on and there is no way to turn it off. You can't check to see if it's working apart from monitoring performance (which just reverses any improvement by hammering the drive with random writes). There is simply no reason why it won't work as long as you give the drive time. GC is done at the SSD controller level, and is entirely independent of and invisible to the OS and other hardware.

While talking to Crucial about there garbage collection software for their SSD's, they told me to just either sign-off or log off your computer. Your computer will go in a rest state and the hard drives will shut down. The software will not work if there is any hard drive activity. This is when garbage collection starts working. They said to do it for at least 30 minutes, once a week, but the more the better depending on how much you’re writing to your drives on a daily basis.

Just for your general info.

January 14, 2013 9:34:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Anthony R,
I know the older OCZ ssd's had lots of complaints of failures, that's why I was kind of nervous about getting the Vertex 4, but with a 5 year warranty it looked like they were finally backing the product with some level of confidence. The Vertex 4 is insane in terms of speed. Like yrag said, I only had to use it to know it was insane in terms of speed. 

I dont know but i keep away from OCZ since they started banning people from the board because they asked questions regarding product failures and bugs. I certainly dont know how things are handled nowadays by OCZ.
But just to compare :
OCZ Agillity 4 Series 2,5 SSD, SATA 6G-256GB vs ADATA Premier Pro SP9000 Series 2,5 SSD, SATA 6G 256GB

OCZ:  read 420 MB/s write max 410 MB/s
IOPS (4KB Random Read): 48.000
IOPS (4KB Random Write): 85.000
Price : 174,90 EUR 3 year warranty

ADATA: read 555 MB/s write 530 MB/s
IOPS: max. 90.000 (4K Random Write) 
Price :  179,90 EUR 3 year warranty

I dont know but with 5 euros difference i would go for the fast one, why do i write this just to know why people are so into OCZ they barely get sold here as far as iam told ( Shop ). I know OCZ sold pretty well when SSD´s came to the market and OCZ was marketing their products at conventions. 

January 14, 2013 9:53:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I bought OCZ for price reasons, they were on sale...lol.

My laptop has a Samsung 840 series. I like it.

January 17, 2013 4:15:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
I bought OCZ for price reasons, they were on sale...lol.

My laptop has a Samsung 840 series. I like it.
i still need to test one of those... only have the older series 830 and i liked them im still using it in my home rig

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000859   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.