Thinking About A Windows Phone

By on January 11, 2013 11:42:32 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

MasonM

Join Date 01/2004
+46

I've been using Android phones for a long time now, and Linux even longer, but recently I have become something of a fan of Windows 8. I am running 8 on one of my laptops and have a Surface tablet. I really like it.

I have been seriously considering dropping my Galaxy s3 Android phone for a Windows phone. As I am on Verizon and don't want to switch carriers I am currently limited to two phones, the HTC 8x and the Nokia 822. The HTC is arguably the higher end hardware and would normally be my default choice.

I have been reading all of the "professional" reviews and they all go for the HTC.

But, when I started checking the forums where people who actually own and use the phones post I find a plethora of complaints about the HTC. Lots more than the Nokia. It appears to me that in the real world the Nokia 822 is actually the better, more reliable device despite it's lower screen resolution.

I think I'll go with the Nokia.

33 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 12, 2013 4:38:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you go with the Nokia, Mason, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have a Nokia Lumia 820 and find it to be a more than reliable and adequate phone that does all I need it to and more, and believe me, the slightly lower resolution screen will not detract from your enjoyment of its use, not in the slightest.  The display is crisp and clear and is highly responsive to touch... like you could wear a glove and it is still responsive to touch.

As for the Win 8 OS, if you like your Surface then you'll love the WP8 phone.  For mine, having owned an Android phone and sampling an iPhone, the Windows phone is superior in every respect. 

January 12, 2013 8:19:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Don't know about phones but I hate W8 PC.  Took mine back to the store.  Yey said a ;ot of people are doing that.

January 12, 2013 8:25:06 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I just bought another license for Win 7 Pro and it cost a bit more more than 8, so that tells you how I feel about Win 8, but I also wonder why someone with an awesome S3 would be like, oh I gotta get rid of this antiquated junk and get something new..

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 12, 2013 8:56:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Anthony R,
but I also wonder why someone with an awesome S3 would be like, oh I gotta get rid of this antiquated junk and get something new..

Blame Apple and their iCrap...er...iPhone and instant obsolescense.

Mobile phones have long since stopped being a TOOL FOR COMMUNICATION and become status symbols.....and become...."hey look at me... I have a penis-substitute stuck to my ear...".

Fashion.....chic....trendy....with-it...groovy....hip.

Hooray....

January 12, 2013 11:29:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well said Jafo

January 12, 2013 2:54:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

or you could hold off for a few months. the nokia 920 won't be an at&t exclusive forever.

January 12, 2013 4:47:53 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting starkers,
If you go with the Nokia, Mason, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have a Nokia Lumia 820 and find it to be a more than reliable and adequate phone that all I need it t and more , and believe me, the slightly lower resolution screen will not detract from your enjoyment of its use, not in the slightest.  The display is crisp and clear and is highly responsive to touch... like you could wear a glove and it is still responsive to touch.

As for the Win 8 OS, if you like your Surface then you'll love the WP8 phone.  For mine, having owned an Android phone and sampling an iPhone, the Windows phone is superior in every respect. 

Thanks. Always good to hear from someone actually using one. I am really leaning toward the Nokia.

January 12, 2013 4:48:37 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting WOM,
Don't know about phones but I hate W8 PC.  Took mine back to the store.  Yey said a ;ot of people are doing that.

Well I guess that's why having choices is a good thing. Personally I really like Windows 8.

January 12, 2013 4:51:41 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Anthony R,
I just bought another license for Win 7 Pro and it cost a bit more more than 8, so that tells you how I feel about Win 8, but I also wonder why someone with an awesome S3 would be like, oh I gotta get rid of this antiquated junk and get something new..

Never said the S3 was junk, just getting a bit bored with Android. It's always seemed a bit "patchwork" to me. I have been checking out the Windows Phone 8 OS and am liking it. Just a personal preference thing I guess. The S3 is an awesome phone.

January 12, 2013 4:53:02 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Quoting Anthony R, reply 3but I also wonder why someone with an awesome S3 would be like, oh I gotta get rid of this antiquated junk and get something new..

Blame Apple and their iCrap...er...iPhone and instant obsolescense.

Mobile phones have long since stopped being a TOOL FOR COMMUNICATION and become status symbols.....and become...."hey look at me... I have a penis-substitute stuck to my ear...".

Fashion.....chic....trendy....with-it...groovy....hip.

Hooray....

Yeah, umm, way off target there Jafo, at least in my case. Good try though. I'm not the least interested in impressing anyone and more interested in what interests ME.

January 12, 2013 4:54:30 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting MadDeez,
or you could hold off for a few months. the nokia 920 won't be an at&t exclusive forever.

Yeah I had considered that as well. The 920 is an excellent phone. I'm in no hurry to make the switch and just maybe the 920 will be available by the time I do. It would be my first choice if Verizon has it.

January 12, 2013 9:04:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

yes, the 920 is an excellent phone. besides myself, my ex, daughter, son-in-law, ex sister-in-law, and brother now have the 920. i've yet to hear of any complaints from any of the other folks concerning their phones. my son is considering the 920 also. starkers is happy his 820. i switched from an iphone and i don't regret it a bit. sooner or later, i'm going to make a decision on which win 8 tablet to get. right now, i'm thinking i'll wait until the next gen is released but i may break down and get a surface rt or an asus tablet with rt.

all that comes from a guy who swore he'd never use win8 after installing the preview build months ago.

January 12, 2013 10:41:37 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Jafo,
I have a penis-substitute stuck to my ear

I thought firearms were extensions of penises... here I find out its been phones all along!

January 12, 2013 10:44:01 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting MasonM,
Never said the S3 was junk, just getting a bit bored with Android.

I guess its a good move if you like it. I've been happy with my S3. I guess a Win 8 phone would be good as that seems to be the logical application of a Win 8 OS in general.

January 12, 2013 11:05:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Anthony R,
I thought firearms were extensions of penises... here I find out its been phones all along!

And sportscars....anything with 'GT' in the name.....or stripes......

January 12, 2013 11:34:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting MadDeez,
all that comes from a guy who swore he'd never use win8 after installing the preview build months ago.

Same here!  I was never going with anything Win 8 because Metro was butt ugly and really put me off, but since installing the full release I have found it to be an excellent OS that's stable, reliable and a pleasure to use... and the ones who piss and moan about it the most are those who've tried it least, if at all.  Yup, somebody rolls out the "I hate Windows 8" bandwagon and every man and his dog wants to hop on for the ride... which to me is pretty fucken silly when the destination's nowhere and it don't take the scenic route.

Oh, and Mason, while the Lumia 920 is the flagship of the line and boasts some impressive specs, the 820 does have its advantages.  I like the fact that it has a removable back, whereas the 920 doesn't, meaning that you can swap out depleted batteries on high usage days and add up to 64gb of additional memory via a microSD card.  Now those two things alone could make the 820 a more attractive proposition for businessmen who travel around a lot and need longer than usual battery life and greater storage for work related files, etc. 

At the end of the day it really depends on your needs and intended/expected usage, but in either event, whether you end up getting the 820 or the 920, you'll be getting a damned good phone.

January 13, 2013 7:35:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

according to Windows Phone Central, AT&T has a deal going on now. if you buy one win8 phone, you get $100 off a second win8 phone. in other words, buy 1 Nokia 920, get another one for free. or buy an HTC 8X, get a 920 for zippo. i wish they had that deal 10 days ago.

January 13, 2013 9:05:30 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting starkers,
Quoting MadDeez, reply 12all that comes from a guy who swore he'd never use win8 after installing the preview build months ago.

Same here!  I was never going with anything Win 8 because Metro was butt ugly and really put me off, but since installing the full release I have found it to be an excellent OS that's stable, reliable and a pleasure to use... and the ones who piss and moan about it the most are those who've tried it least, if at all.  Yup, somebody rolls out the "I hate Windows 8" bandwagon and every man and his dog wants to hop on for the ride... which to me is pretty fucken silly when the destination's nowhere and it don't take the scenic route.

Oh, and Mason, while the Lumia 920 is the flagship of the line and boasts some impressive specs, the 820 does have its advantages.  I like the fact that it has a removable back, whereas the 920 doesn't, meaning that you can swap out depleted batteries on high usage days and add up to 64gb of additional memory via a microSD card.  Now those two things alone could make the 820 a more attractive proposition for businessmen who travel around a lot and need longer than usual battery life and greater storage for work related files, etc. 

At the end of the day it really depends on your needs and intended/expected usage, but in either event, whether you end up getting the 820 or the 920, you'll be getting a damned good phone.

Yeah I had forgotten that the 920 doesn't have a replaceable battery or SD card slot. Thanks for reminding me. I'll probably go with the 822, unless something else comes along at Verizon before I decide to buy. The lower resolution screen on the 822 doesn't bother me, I'm not in the habit of watching videos on my phone anyway, and web pages were perfectly readable on the one I checked out at the store.

I really like Windows 8 and have been running it on one of my laptops for a while now. I also really like my Surface RT, on which I am typing this now. I still use Linux for some things, but am finding Win 8 perfectly stable and fast for my every day tasks.

January 13, 2013 9:07:20 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting MadDeez,
according to Windows Phone Central, AT&T has a deal going on now. if you buy one win8 phone, you get $100 off a second win8 phone. in other words, buy 1 Nokia 920, get another one for free. or buy an HTC 8X, get a 920 for zippo. i wish they had that deal 10 days ago.

That's a pretty good deal for someone who needs more than one phone. I am hoping maybe Verizon will put the 822 on sale about the time I'm ready to buy, although honestly the price of the 822 isn't all that bad anyway.

January 14, 2013 1:31:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting MasonM,
Yeah I had forgotten that the 920 doesn't have a replaceable battery or SD card slot. Thanks for reminding me. I'll probably go with the 822, unless something else comes along at Verizon before I decide to buy. The lower resolution screen on the 822 doesn't bother me, I'm not in the habit of watching videos on my phone anyway, and web pages were perfectly readable on the one I checked out at the store.

Even if you do watch video on your phone, like if a family member sent you a memorable moments clip, the display is quite decent and you're not going to be disappointed.  We have been getting clips of the grandkids from my step-daughter in Tasmania for just on 4 years now, and the picture quality on the 820 is superior to previous phones we've had....

January 14, 2013 9:09:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would just stick with what you have, the S3 is an excellent phone I have heard. Me, I'll just stick with my Motorola Atrix 2 Android, it does what I want, I don't need anything else.

January 14, 2013 2:21:21 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Jafo,
"hey look at me... I have a penis-substitute stuck to my ear...".

No, no - that was an actual penis.

January 14, 2013 3:06:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't think you can go wrong with a Windows Phone.  I'm very happy with my Lumia 920 and definitely recommend it.

January 15, 2013 5:57:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Daiwa,

Quoting Jafo, reply 4"hey look at me... I have a penis-substitute stuck to my ear...".

No, no - that was an actual penis.

Hmmm, that's a bit close to the bone... if you don't mind the pun.

Yeah, last time I saw a penis stuck to something... well it was more in something, was when I was in A&E and his bloke came in with his engorged member firmly stuck in a vacuum cleaner pipe  Talk about embarrassing!! 

Anyway, BOT....

Quoting Island Dog,
I don't think you can go wrong with a Windows Phone.

Definitely not, and going by most reactions when people see mine, the WP8 stands head and shoulders above IOS and Android phones, for looks and usability.  Yup, users of both have been saying: "I gotta get me one of these."

On another note, regarding IOS and iPhones, I read earlier today that Apple has cut back on its iPhone 5 production due to weaker than expected demand.... see more here.

Now I could have told them that 6 - 8 months ago, not that they would have listened.  I could also tell them that they need to tighten their belts for the very lean period they're going to go though in the next couple of years and beyond, but no, I think I'll just sit back and watch Apple crumble [pun intended].

January 15, 2013 7:42:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
I'll just sit back and watch Apple crumble

Someone hit him.....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000562   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.