It's time to update Messenger to Skype!?

Just got this in an email.

By on January 10, 2013 11:08:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WebGizmos

Join Date 09/2003
+691

Hello,

We are retiring the existing Messenger service globally (except for mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available) and bringing the great features of Messenger and Skype together. Update to Skype and sign in using a Microsoft Account (same as your Messenger ID) and all your Messenger contacts will be at your fingertips. You'll be able to instant message and video chat with them just like before, and also discover new ways of staying in touch with Skype on your mobile and tablet.

So, what's happening between now and the retirement?
Messenger will continue to work as you know it today. If you are signed in with Messenger on your desktop** you will see a banner notification to upgrade. When you click on the banner, an installer window will open with the request to upgrade. This will take you through our installer flow to install Skype and automatically uninstall Messenger.
space
So, what's happening after the retirement?
Messenger users on desktops** will not be able to sign in and will only be able to upgrade to Skype. If you attempt to sign in, a notification will appear, and if you continue, you will be taken through our installer flow to install Skype and automatically uninstall Messenger at the same time.
space
Can I update to Skype on my mobile?
Yes! Skype is available on iPhone, Android and soon on Windows Phone 8. We encourage you to download the latest Skype app on your mobile and then uninstall Messenger. You will be able to sign in to Skype on your iPhone, Android and Windows Phone 8 mobile apps with your Microsoft Account over the next few weeks. If you use another phone with Messenger on it, it will continue to work for a while.

31 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 10, 2013 11:09:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bummer

January 10, 2013 11:22:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

People still use IM clients?

January 11, 2013 2:43:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Best thing about Skype: Making phone calls! If you and the person you are calling both have Skype, you can talk as long as you want ... anywhere in the world ... for free.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 11, 2013 3:03:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Xiandi,
Best thing about Skype: Making phone calls! If you and the person you are calling both have Skype, you can talk as long as you want ... anywhere in the world ... for free.

Well...there is that! But I already have Vonage...so I've been able to do that for a few years now.

January 11, 2013 6:40:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Xiandi,
anywhere in the world ... for free.

I'm afraid that depends on whether you're connecting via computer, land line or mobile. While connecting via computer to computer is free, the latter two aren't free, nor are video/conference calls as far as I can tell. Skype is more than happy to sell you Skype credit, or a Skype phone number (a virtual phone number - although unavailable in some/many countries, it appears).

"CHECK RESTRICTIONS ON USE: In some countries there are restrictions on the use of the Software. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are legally allowed to use the Software where you are located."

Make sure you read their "Privacy Policy" (or "modification of your privacy policy"). Have no doubt they're tracking you (cookies and gifs "to improve performance" - remember that one?) and probably selling your info as well:

"In order to provide you with Skype products you have requested, Skype may sometimes, if necessary, share your personal and traffic data with Skype’s group companies, carriers, partner service providers and/or agents. For example the PSTN-VoIP gateway provider, WiFi access services providers, distributors of Skype software and/or Skype products, and/or the third party banking organizations or other providers of payment, email delivery, analytical services, customer support, or hosting services. Skype will always require these third parties to take appropriate organizational and technical measures to protect your personal data and traffic data and to observe the relevant legislation....

...If you are a member of the Skype Manager, detailed information about the activity on your Skype account including traffic data and details of your purchases and downloads may be accessed by your Skype Manager Administrator if you have agreed to such access. You can withdraw your agreement at any time by changing the settings on your account page on www.skype.com. If you provide personal data including your name and job title to be included in the Skype Manager directory, you acknowledge that such data may be viewed by other members of the Skype Manager.....

...If you leave a voicemail for another Skype user, your voicemail message may be transferred to a third party service provider (where the Skype contact you are trying to reach has signed up to receive voicemails by text message), and will be converted to text. The conversion process may in exceptional cases, require access by analysts. By using the voicemail product, you consent to the processing of your voicemail message by Skype and its service provider....

...Skype, Skype's local partner, or the operator or company facilitating your communication may provide personal data, communications content and/or traffic data to an appropriate judicial, law enforcement or government authority lawfully requesting such information. Skype will provide reasonable assistance and information to fulfill this request and you hereby consent to such disclosure....

...Information that is collected by or sent to Skype and/or Microsoft may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Microsoft or its affiliates, subsidiaries, or service providers maintain facilities. In this regard, or for purposes of sharing or disclosing data in accordance with this article 4, Skype reserves the right to transfer information outside of your country. By using Skype software, Skype's websites or Skype products you consent to any such transfer of information outside of your country.... (U.S., E.U. Save Harbor Regs)....

...As Microsoft continues to develop its business, Microsoft might sell or buy subsidiaries or business units. In any such transactions in which Skype or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, personal information of Skype users will generally be one of the transferred business assets. We reserve the right to include your personal information in any such transfer to a third party...."

They also have a "Fair Usage Policy" which states you can't use the service for financial gain. Apparently, that's their bailiwick only. It's for personal communication only, and they'll be checking your usage pattern (where, whom you're calling, how often and times).

There are also countries which block/ed Skype. I can't find an up to date list... anywhere. That bothers me. Seems like Skype should publish that.

A VPN site had a list: 

http://provpnaccounts.com/List_of_countries_which_block_website_content_VOIP_Skype_including_countries_China_UAE_Oman_Syria_Turkey_Malaysia_and_the_continents_of_Asia_Caribbean_Africa_North_America_Europe_and_the_Middle_East-124-articles

but since they're trying to sell you their services, I'm not sure how accurate the list there is. 

While it may be possible to use a VPN to connect to/in these countries, some VPN's have been blocked as well.

It bothers me that Skype doesn't specifically list countries to which connection is a problem up front, nor countries which block VPN's. If you remember, there are places where you couldn't use a Blackberry because their "Intelligence" officials couldn't listen in due to the VPN or encryption protocol RIM used.

Instead, Skype itself breaks it down country by country and you'll have to search each country individually (to gain membership numbers, probably)... Also, calling appears to differ depending on whether the other person is using Windows or Mac. I don't see anything special regarding Linux, etc.

Countries on the list I checked are reachable by Skype... but when you look at their rates for mobile/land line, they are extremely high... like Guyana - $0.38 (US) per minute.

January 11, 2013 8:41:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Skype came pre-installed on my laptop. I got rid of it.

January 11, 2013 10:44:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What i like about Skype is the sound/audio quality i havent found any similar application that comes close to it.

January 11, 2013 10:53:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Roloccolor,
What i like about Skype is the sound/audio quality i havent found any similar application that comes close to it.

This is true, and the video ain't bad either, depending on your webcam and bandwidth.  I use Yahoo Messenger more, but it is buggy.

Skype has cool emotes too.

January 11, 2013 10:58:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just want to confirm something, with this change I don't have to change my email address do I? 

January 11, 2013 10:59:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Skype Skype Skype. hehe

matchbook.monday

January 11, 2013 11:13:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
I just want to confirm something, with this change I don't have to change my email address do I? 

No, Skype uses a skype name. It doesn't attach to an email acct. like Yahoo.

Quoting Xiandi,

As for "voice" calls, this is also true of Yahoo Messenger. And video calls.  Neither makes "phone" calls for free.

January 11, 2013 11:18:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah, I got that email today too and changed over to Skype, and sent in 6 recommendations already! More to come for sure!

January 11, 2013 11:20:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I guess I need to go to the Skype site, I'm just a little confused now as to where I will get my normal emails.

January 11, 2013 11:35:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just have my emails come in for Live and GMail in my email program Philly, I use Thunderbird.

January 11, 2013 11:38:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Skype is also good for group conversations.  Much better than the old IRC.

January 11, 2013 11:42:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So I have to get another email program?  Is there no Inbox with Skype where I see me emails as it is in Windows Live Messenger?

January 11, 2013 11:49:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Skype has nothing to do with e-mail.  

January 11, 2013 11:49:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
So I have to get another email program?  Is there no Inbox with Skype where I see me emails as it is in Windows Live Messenger?

Not that I can see...

January 11, 2013 11:50:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And if you have Windows 8, there's a Skype Win8 app.  Just search the Win8 store.

January 11, 2013 11:50:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
Skype has nothing to do with e-mail.  

But Messenger would tell you when you had a new email ID, it was a nice feature.

January 11, 2013 12:46:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
Skype is also good for group conversations.

I was under the impression that one of the current failures was that Skype is missing group chat like messenger already has....or are you referring to video calls like Google's Hangout feature?

Quoting RedneckDude,
As for "voice" calls, this is also true of Yahoo Messenger. And video calls. Neither makes "phone" calls for free.

Google Voice is still free within the US. I believe they charge for overseas calls.

January 11, 2013 12:48:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
And if you have Windows 8, there's a Skype Win8 app.  Just search the Win8 store.

Sorry, its nice of you reminding folks or informing bout the Skype app for windows8, but since the app is lacking the option "logout of your account"  i would  recommend not using it until that is fixed, last time i checked it was not.

January 11, 2013 12:53:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay, I figured it out, I don't need Windows Live Messenger/Skype to see my emails.  I have My MSN as my home page and I just have to click on HotMail, until something changes with that.  So I don't have to get Skype and can delete Windows Live Messenger. 

January 11, 2013 12:54:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Skype is also available as a Portable App so if you have the need, it can travel with you on a flash drive.

January 11, 2013 1:08:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Lantec,
I was under the impression that one of the current failures was that Skype is missing group chat like messenger already has....or are you referring to video calls like Google's Hangout feature?

Not video, a group chat.  I have several right now.

I see Skype actually calls them "conversations".

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.