Lost all my .psd icons after installing Object Desktop

By on January 10, 2013 5:42:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Michelle911

Join Date 12/2012
+2

I do a lot with photoshop and all my PSD files reverted back to the stock default icon.

Any idea how I can get these back?  yeah, from my recipe folder   i have hundreds more, yeah seriously...

example

11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 10, 2013 6:03:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Icon Packager?

Open Icon Packager, go to the settings tab. Choose Repair Icon Images at the bottom of the config window.

If that don't do it, try rebuild icon cache.

Or maybe try resetting to windows default icons, then apply your preferred icon package.

January 10, 2013 9:30:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

TY!  but the first two options didn't work.

the third option, well, I have my own icon set I've built over the years, is there a way to save my own package globally (or all in one step)?  for Start, Folders, Drives, Others (etc) before I reset to default?  it would take a very long time to restore them manually again.

thanks again!

January 12, 2013 4:45:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm no expert but might it be possible to import your icons into Iconpackager one at a time and save them as an icon pack? Hoping someone with more knowledge comes along. Its only a suggestion. I'm not sure if it will work or not.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 13, 2013 12:57:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I finally remembered what I did when I had vista installed on another computer years ago... 

View thumbnail images for Photoshop PSD files in Windows

When I 'upgraded' to win7 (which btw has given more 'vista like problems' than vista ever did)  I didn't have to do a thing, they just all worked. This time the fix unfortunately does nothing for me, but it does work for some.  unfortunately, again tho, i know it was something that happened when I installed my stardock programs.  not trying to blame stardock, I'm loving this stuff! but if there's anything that might give me a clue I'd really love to hear!

January 16, 2013 7:28:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I reset default icons (while holding my breathe)  no I didn't lose my custom assigned icons!  yay!  but it also did not restore my thumbnails

They were working before beautifully, so I uninstalled icon packager.... nothing, I uninstalled ALL stardock software... nothing.

Is this also ticket material?

January 16, 2013 7:43:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Michelle911,
Is this also ticket material?

I would say yes.

I believe there is a registry key or keys that need to be dealt with to get you back to normal. I'll dig around and see what I can find in the forums.

January 16, 2013 8:07:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page40.html

Mystic Thumbs

Mystic Thumbs 1.98 (last freeware version)
OS: Windows 7, Vista and Windows XP, support - x86 and x64.
The definitive image thumbnail generator for Windows Explorer.
MysticThumbs generates thumbnails of many image types not natively supported by Windows. It does this transparently and in the background for Explorer so you don't have to run a seperate application to preview your images.
It is a native Windows Explorer plugin which means you don't have to do anything other than install it. This means you don't have any new interfaces to learn, think about or otherwise deal with.

You might give this a try. Which version of PS and which version of Windows?  I ended up having to use a third party plugin to get mine to work for PS7 and PS4 on Win 7 64 bit.

January 16, 2013 8:17:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

To fix the blank, generic looking icons:

Quoting JcRabbit,
Here is the fix:

Open the Windows Registry Editor, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex and delete the subkey/folder IconHandler

info is from this post.

January 16, 2013 11:45:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you both! I really preferred Wizard's fix over having to add a new program to for something that was never broken in the first place.

Wizard, I tried that and everything else mentioned in that linked thread... everything and then some. Unfortunately Nothing worked for me.

Frankie, I'd seen MysticThumbs during all that time I spent trying to fix this and I didn't even want to try it as apparently it costs money now. Thank you for the LastFreeware link, I'll keep that site in mind in the future too!

MysticThumbs fixed it!! YAY!! Really appreciate that you guys!   now I can get back to what I was doing!

Stardock really should address this issue!  Caused me a lot of frustration.

January 17, 2013 12:32:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Happy to hear it is fixed. I went through a similar episode but at that time Mystic was free and I really had to hunt down the freeware version. I finally ended up using Ardfrys PSD codec as Mystic stopped working when I updated Vista to Win7.

January 17, 2013 10:28:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

no kidding! something about windows and icons...  I'm on win7pro... and mystic works for me, strange huh... the way windows goes I don't think I'll update ever again

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.