Object Desktop Subscription for Win8 ?

By on January 8, 2013 12:26:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

lahouari

Join Date 07/2011

I upgraded to OD last september from one of the standalone stardock apps that I bought before, while I was on Seven.

But now that I run Windows 8 I can see that most of the applications of OD doesn't work on 8.

Tile and Star8 are useless for me and Windows8 has the same option already. Decor8 is just a wallpaper/lockscreen background manager, I can do that manually.

So Only FX still works normally but I bought it as standalone while ago, same for Fence2.

So I paid almost 40 euros and can't use none of the app that I paid for...

That really upset me !

10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 8, 2013 12:38:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Currently Start8, Decor8, Fences 2, Multiplicity 2, Tiles, IconPackager, IconDeveloper ,and WindowFX 5 are designed to work with Windows 8.

WindowBlinds and DeskScapes should be ready in early 2013.
Other applications may or may not work. At this time though, they are not supported.

We are updating more of our software as time goes on so keep an eye on our forums for more details.

January 8, 2013 1:04:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It should be noted that Multiplicity 2 is NOT part of ObjectDesktop.

Windows 8 does not offer anything like Start8, Tiles or Decor8 other than the lock screen changer in Decor8 which is simply provided as a useful addition to the main feature of changing your background to the new Windows 8 start menu.

January 8, 2013 10:44:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Let me see if I understand...

1) You subscribed to OD when you were using Win 7.

2) You subsequently upgraded to a recently released OS that many vendors do not yet fully support.

3) You're actually surprised and upset that some programs that were never advertised as being compatible with Win 8 as of yet aren't actually compatible?

The reason that you can't yet "use the apps that you paid for" is that you made the conscientious decision to change your operating system. I fail to see how that falls on anyone's shoulders but your own. You purchased a product that performs exactly as advertised and then you chose to at least temporarily render your system incompatible.

At the end of the day, we are each responsible for the decisions that we make. Nonetheless, it's mindbending to folks blame everyone else but themselves for their own mistakes.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 9, 2013 2:29:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

***No I am not yelling at you.  a lot of you know I am legally blind in rl and today is a very bad vision day so I had to blow up the font ...****

come on guys lets face it we have all done things we all regret in hindsight  some people have to upgrade for different reasons.  I also subscribe to OD and I had to upgrade to windows 8 (state rules) but I was warned that all of the programs would not be ready.  and I still renewed my od .  I even offered to beta test to help out.  I can see were this guy is coming from he is just venting

Maybe an idea is for those that are current subscribers adding additional time to the subscription like everyone gets 4 months free (or how ever it takes to get the bugs out)  or if they go ahead and renew they get a special code that gives them at a very discounted rate... like example and dont quoate me on priced  say a renewal is 25 say this time with code window8cankissmybutt (lol) it knocks down the price to say 20  dont quote me on that....

January 9, 2013 2:51:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

not sure if you are parroting other people or this are your own thoughts ...

Quoting kharbart,
Let me see if I understand...

1) You subscribed to OD when you were using Win 7.

2) You subsequently upgraded to a recently released OS that many vendors do not yet fully support.

3) You're actually surprised and upset that some programs that were never advertised as being compatible with Win 8 as of yet aren't actually compatible?

no, you don't understand. Object Desktop is a subscription that advertises with updates for a year. this is exactly the thing to buy if you want to use Stardock programs and upgrade your os. WindowBlinds 7 probably will never support Windows 8, but it is more likely WindowBlinds 8 will.

now he/she is dissappointed those updates take longer than they did in the past.

when i was younger fanbois picked on the "freeloaders". no those do no longer seem to exist. but picking on paying customers instead just feels wrong. 

January 9, 2013 7:01:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This thread is in 'Stardock Support'.

Comments #1 and #2 are appropriate.  None of the others is.

January 14, 2013 10:38:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,
This thread is in 'Stardock Support'.

Comments #1 and #2 are appropriate.  None of the others is.

As I was unquestionably the instigator of it all, my apologies to everyone concerned.

January 31, 2013 2:47:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have to sympathize with Zubaz a bit.  There are valid points he makes as well as Stardock response.  But I too am not happy that I paid "full" price for only a partially working software suite, with no release date for full working version.  Just think about that for a second.  It borders on a free loan from a (new) customer.  And what would this be called if the Win 8 release of the remaining products doesn't materialize?  I don't think refunds will be coming.

The Stardock justification above is basically - we're telling you we are going to charge you full price on something we can't yet deliver.

We'll we're not really telling you; you have to notice this off the pages on our website.

Yes, after looking at the forum it was pointed out that one of the website pages does indicate only a few of the Object Desktop software tools are currently upgraded for Windows 8.  But does that make it fair to charge full price for a new Windows 8 subscription purchase?

It's not clear whether the subscription period is being used up by the few working modules?  Apparently it must because there is a single registration number for the full OD.

This is a weakness in the system and this is apparent by the low ratings Stardock is getting.  It's just not right and improvement is needed here.  Especially when one can't call in to get an empathetic voice.  This seems to indicate staffing is low and budgets are tight; which only makes one more concerned when paying full price for an unfinished product with no target release date.  This is poor overall execution.

Now, the few modules of Object Desktop that are working (with Win8) are impressive and as a new user I may look forward to the remaining Win8 releases.  But the process of charging full price with an open-ended release date for remaining unfinished work is an unprofessional business practice.  At a minimum, full paying customers in waiting should receive the courtesy of expected release dates for each work-in-process module and re-notified if the target date slips.

Even better, only a pro-rata charge should be processed.

I can only imagine this is not done because the extended time the release dates will reveal will turn off many buyers thus hurting the funding process; as will pro-rata assessments.

It's seems Stardock is on to some nice talented enhancements for the Windows operating system.  One would think additional funding could be acquired for use in adequate staffing to handle the concerns of a growing disgruntled customer base.

So the options are wait patiently and write off the 50 bucks (or some lesser value for the items not compatible with Win8); or uninstall and dispute the credit card charge within the proper time frame.

There's time to decide.

ps - Jafo's (a Stardoch representiative) decision of what is and what isn't appropriate should also be a red flag about the attitudes and pressures inside this development team.  Dismissing customers is simply an unprofessional and inappropriate way to build a customer base.

January 31, 2013 5:50:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I feel the need to clarify one thing that is relevant to your post. Object Desktop is not a "Windows 8" subscription ;it is a subscription to a set of applications that run on operating systems. 

If you subscribe, you get what is supported during the year. Is it a risk that your OS isn't supported? Perhaps. We give you all the information you need to evaluate that risk for yourself. 

Also,DeskScapes beta was released today to ODNT subscribers  .  

January 31, 2013 5:57:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You are making the assumption that every customer has Windows 8.  This isn't the case.

ObjectDesktop has always been a subscription service which means you get everything thats released during the 12 months period you have subscribed for.

Since September two exclusive Windows 8 applications have been added to ObjectDesktop (Start8 and Decor8).  Additionally Fences 2 has been released with Windows 8 support along with major new features for Windows 7 too.  WindowFX 5.1 and Tiles 1.1 were released with Windows 8 additions and as of today DeskScapes 8 has been released in beta including Windows 8 support.

I believe that just leaves one major product in ObjectDesktop that lacks Windows 8 support in public form, WindowBlinds, and that is still undergoing development and again it will be a major update, not just a point release adding Windows 8 support to WindowBlinds 7.

The ObjectDesktop page does have a list of system requirements for each of the products on the purchase page and while there are some errors with some products showing up under Win8 and not Win8, it does mention what is Win8 and not Win8 compatible.  I believe in some cases it is over cautious as products like IconDeveloper should work on Win8 just fine and I will get someone to update that page to sort the duplicates.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000750   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.