Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

And another excellent piece of software for free!!!!!

By on January 8, 2013 12:17:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums External Link

Leo the Lion

Join Date 05/2003
+89

Doc is always a good finder of freebies but here's one not a lot of people know about..........PerfectDisk Free..........The latest version 12.5 which has had a few of the 'paid for' versions 'bells and whistles' removed.

As most knowledgeable software gurus know Raxco's PerfectDisk has been one of the leading defrag software makers for years and years. Whilst some with SSD's don't feel they need defrag software others with 'normal' hard drives should defrag regularly.............makes my machine leaner and faster, that's for sure. Also, one small tip with this piece of software..........to defrag your system files on boot just right click the drive when you get the software up and select the option. I mention this as its not easy to find.

I've been using it for a couple of weeks and its a great piece of software..........better than any other defragger out there.

and you're welcome!

21 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 8, 2013 5:12:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm all about freebies, Duh! If I didn't have one already I'd go for this one. I use IObit's Smart Defrag 2.

January 8, 2013 6:55:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bookmarked!

January 8, 2013 7:39:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

just mentioning, I leave my computer on most of the time. Win7 will automatically defrag one's computer at some regular schedule. Everytime I check the drives they are 0% fragmented.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 8, 2013 9:50:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've never heard of Windows 7 automatically defraging a drive.

January 8, 2013 10:12:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bah! Defragging is so 2011.... Get an SSD!   

January 8, 2013 11:12:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sure, I'll get one. Just let me mortgage half my life. No problem.

January 8, 2013 11:52:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

before I got my ssds I used IObit's Smart Defrag 2. It's free with all the 'bells and whistles'

January 8, 2013 12:43:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

How's PerfectDisk regarding the "buy" nags?  I don't mind a few, but I do seem to have a limit.

Thanks for the post

January 8, 2013 1:05:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BoXXi,
Bah! Defragging is so 2011.... Get an SSD! 

oh, people who buy registry defraggers will buy SSD disk derfraggers as well. the snake-oil industry has nothing to worry about.

January 8, 2013 4:10:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So you have to set the Windows 7 defrag program up on a schedule to run. That's not automatic right out of the box.

January 8, 2013 5:02:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,
So you have to set the Windows 7 defrag program up on a schedule to run. That's not automatic right out of the box.

No, it's automatic....but you can change the schedule or halt it if needed.

January 8, 2013 5:14:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've had several Windows 7 machines. In fact my girlfriend's machine runs Windows 7. And Windows 7 defrag does not run automatically. And I've never told it to stop. I opened it up one day and there was no automatic schedule to run selected.

January 8, 2013 5:37:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A Worf.gif is very tempting right now.

January 8, 2013 5:47:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,
I've had several Windows 7 machines. In fact my girlfriend's machine runs Windows 7. And Windows 7 defrag does not run automatically. And I've never told it to stop. I opened it up one day and there was no automatic schedule to run selected.

it's on by default. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Schedule-Disk-Defragmenter-to-run-regularly

you probably told it to stop via installing some third-party software.

January 8, 2013 10:00:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Hankers,
A Worf.gif is very tempting right now.

Since it's well deserved, go ahead but I'll bet he'll just ignore it. 

January 10, 2013 2:34:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The windows defragger does a very mediocre job........There are lots more benefits with with PerfectDisk.........SmartPlacement and system file defrag on reboot to name but two.............I've put both up against each other and PerefctDisk does a way better job than Windows as proven by the speed on boot-up and responsiveness of programs thereafter.........Try the same test yourself.........'no brainer' really!

January 10, 2013 4:10:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I suppose while we're talking about this we should mention that it's best to pick a defragger and then stick with it within reason; i.e., don't run PerfectDisk today, then MS next week, then PerfectDisk, etc.  You'll just constantly be scooting your files around.

I loaded up PerfectDisk yesterday and I'm pretty pleased with it.  Only "buy nag" I've seen so far - and it's not really one so much - is its startup window.  Might be able to disable it, haven't really checked.  At any rate it's very reasonable.

I like the way it does its boot defrag - it does put up a basic screen to let you know what's going on.  Much better than sitting and wondering.  Thanks for the tip on how do initiate that Leo, I agree that it's not particularly obvious.  Personally I too see some value in defragging system files, and file placement too for that matter.

Nice catch, thanks again.

January 10, 2013 4:56:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Smart Defrag 2 does the automatic boot defrag plus it does incrementals. You can also adjust the settings for more than one drive. But then again ASC also has a defragger. Between the two I haven't had to defrag my HD in like forever.

January 10, 2013 5:31:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'll stick with Auslogics Disk Defrag

January 11, 2013 11:30:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveRI,
I suppose while we're talking about this we should mention that it's best to pick a defragger and then stick with it within reason; i.e., don't run PerfectDisk today, then MS next week, then PerfectDisk, etc.  You'll just constantly be scooting your files around.

I loaded up PerfectDisk yesterday and I'm pretty pleased with it.  Only "buy nag" I've seen so far - and it's not really one so much - is its startup window.  Might be able to disable it, haven't really checked.  At any rate it's very reasonable.

I like the way it does its boot defrag - it does put up a basic screen to let you know what's going on.  Much better than sitting and wondering.  Thanks for the tip on how do initiate that Leo, I agree that it's not particularly obvious.  Personally I too see some value in defragging system files, and file placement too for that matter.

Nice catch, thanks again.

You're welcome Dave..........

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.