when are the downloads going to be fixed?

By on December 29, 2012 4:42:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Vampothika

Join Date 07/2006
+506

okay,

ive seen this for months now, and im sick of sitting back and saying nothing.

Who gets 9000 downloads a day on a windowblind skin? Thats insanity, right?  

-Apparently Not if you choose to believe the current downloadcount.

Unfortunatley I get those downloads, and its just so wrong its not funny.

The first day I uploaded Euphoria I saw true downloads.  The first day only. Ever since then they have been psycho. (phycho meaning

sometimes over 10 thousand a day... A DAY!!!)

This phenomena occurs in several other galleries as well.

Why should I bother to continue to upload when none of the downloads even seem real?

When is this problem going to be fixed?

Its no fun anymore when nothing is working.  C'mon guys, surely you can FIX this?

PS I am a skinner, I am intersted in downloads... for all sorts of reasons.

If you´re not a skinner & you just want to bitch about me & my obsession with downloads then dont bother, because I´m adressing a site issue that needs to be Fixed, nothing more.

Vampothika

99 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 29, 2012 5:00:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I feel your pain. I have experienced the same insanity showing 5000 downloads a day on a wall that I know is not realistic. I have to assume that it is a site issue and like you, it sure takes the wind out of your sails when you cannot rely on the accuracy of the counts. You have every right to express your concern and are not being paranoid as I have expressed my concern over this also. It is just so unreal Something is definitely broken

December 29, 2012 5:06:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you´re not a skinner & you just want to bitch

Well, young lady, I'm not a skinner but I am a subscriber and I reserve the right to piss and moan just like anyone else, including skinners.

I'd like to see the link from a persons profile to a persons WinCustomize site actually take me to that site, not the home page. Example This should go to my site.

I'd like to see the broken emotes fixed or removed.  [e digicons]:'([/e]

I'd like a lot of little things fixed and you have the right to be unhappy with the download counts.................

but if I was going to complain, which I am not, I would do it when Stardock wasn't closed down for the Holidays until next year.

December 29, 2012 5:58:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ,

Who gets 9000 downloads a day on a windowblind skin? Thats insanity, right?  

well, why not actually. back in the days when skinning was popular those numbers weren't that uncommon. at least for the first weeks.

Quoting ,

Why should I bother to continue to upload when none of the downloads even seem real?

if it really bothers you that much, the download counts at Custo or Deviantart seem to work. or you could distribute your skins through a cloud service like Google Drive or a file-hosting site like Mediafire. i have not really looked into this, but i am sure some of them offer a download count as well.

but really, download counts do not mean that much. people download skins, because they like the wallpaper. people download skins because they think something looks cool, but do not even know there is a third party app required to use it. some people are hoarders and download just any skin without even considering using it. most people (and this is true for almost any skin) run a skin once, don't quite like it, and never use it again.

in my opinion a better measure for popularity is if you see screenshots of your skins popping up outside of Wincustomize on Twitter, Tumblr or Facebook.

Quoting ,

When is this problem going to be fixed?

Its no fun anymore when nothing is working.  C'mon guys, surely you can FIX this?

i doubt this to be honest. the only real solution would be to build a new site from scratch. i wouldn't count on the site being that important for Stardock though. after all it serves it's purpose for the regular customer. and of the tiny fraction that notices all the bugs most do not really care and happily pay their subsciption.

Quoting ,

If you´re not a skinner & you just want to bitch about me & my obsession with downloads ...

not sure why this would matter, but i upload my skins to Custo. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 29, 2012 6:01:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

and someting is wrong with quoting ops as well

and as this is about bugs, logging in on iOS with Chrome does not work. Safari works.

December 29, 2012 6:42:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ,
"Who gets 9000 downloads a day on a windowblind skin? Thats insanity, right? "

not really!

well this is the mathematic: 26.944 daily visits, 84,3 % reaching the WC home page

amongst 20.000 contact most them are new visitors and I'm sure the downloads count is appropriate to your stunning Euphoria !

December 29, 2012 7:23:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Frankief,
I feel your pain. I have experienced the same insanity showing 5000 downloads a day on a wall that I know is not realistic. I have to assume that it is a site issue and like you, it sure takes the wind out of your sails when you cannot rely on the accuracy of the counts. You have every right to express your concern and are not being paranoid as I have expressed my concern over this also. It is just so unreal Something is definitely broken

for real

im not interested in deviantart Moshi.... i never have been. Going to another site wont fix the problem. I shouldnt have to go to facebook or twitter to see accurate downloadcounts... (not even sure how that would even work since im not even on twitter)

December 29, 2012 8:32:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's been like this on the statistics (and other areas) on WC for ages Kitty, nobody cares about it at Stardock or WC evidently. You tell them about it, and nothing gets done. This site is so screwed up I don't think anyone could fix it easily. Sorry if I am being so "to the point" people, but like Kitty said, I am getting tired of it too. Accurate statistics tell a skinner what is popular and what would go well in skin development, especially for a Master Skinner.

I imagine this will get ignored too, so sad.

December 29, 2012 8:52:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry to go off topic, but just FYI....after looking at my lack of downloads, I'm considering giving up DX.

Appears no one is using it anymore. Except me...lol.

December 29, 2012 10:15:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
I imagine this will get ignored too, so sad.

Bad timing, folks ...to bring up site issues... when Stardock is on holiday.

You "could" have left this until there was actually someone here that can even deal with it.

I'm here...but my arms don't reach that far....

December 29, 2012 11:05:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

We know you'd fix it if you could, Jafo.  

December 30, 2012 5:00:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

they can read it when they come back

December 30, 2012 5:07:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
Accurate statistics tell a skinner what is popular and what would go well in skin development, especially for a Master Skinner.

EXACTLY... thats why i really want this fixed.....

eh, 2 Days till they come back, i can bump this thread if nothing else to get their attention.

December 30, 2012 5:16:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Some parts of the site have been broken for years, what difference is two days going to make...

December 30, 2012 7:30:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If I got that many downloads I'd freak! But then I don't do WB's...yet. I've seen 300 in a day but 9000? I'm with you Kitty. And here's an extra bump.

BUMP!!

December 30, 2012 7:52:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting LightStar, reply 7I imagine this will get ignored too, so sad.

You "could" have left this until there was actually someone here that can even deal with it.

I'm here...but my arms don't reach that far....

That is understood Paul, I think everyone knew that. It is just that things like this get reported in the past, and no one does anything about it. So people just put up with it until they can't ignore it any more and it comes to something like this is all.

Hopefully it will be addressed on Wednesday when everyone is back to work.

December 30, 2012 8:42:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
Hopefully it will be addressed on Wednesday when everyone is back to work.
Seriously?

Everyone to whom it may concern, you know(or perhaps should know by now) better than that. Stardock will be up to their asses in support tickets for quite a while into the foreseeable future. Support and the web /dev teams have their hands full already, even without the Holiday break. I honestly do not see any site issues being assigned anything close to a priority. That doesn't mean they don't matter to us, or that SD isn't listening. But please. let's keep it real.

I mentioned a couple of site problems, download counts being whack has been mentioned before,and as Fuzzy noted, some things have been broken for a long time. A few days or a few dozen complaints aren't going to "cure" WinCustomize.

What is....is. 

December 30, 2012 10:29:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
I mentioned a couple of site problems, download counts being whack has been mentioned

I agree 100%.

I just live with the problems or another word to use situations that don't work. Never reply to these threads or post and this is the first time. Guess all my previous management experience has tought me many things. One of them would be to just tell the truth and have found it works very well. In most of all the other post the answers you get are "we will look into it" - "we will get to it when we have time" -"we are aware of it"

Problem in most cases it doesn't get fixed and no one reports the fact to the situation that took place with the site. The above responses are fine however a follow up would be great when something doesn't get fixed in a resonable time frame. Example would be we are aware or thank you for letting us know. If it can be fixed we will when time permits and then report it has been fixed. Would also be fine and again only an example to report, "the main site works fine, one can upload, make a thread, post, etc., etc. or however SD would like to say that. I have seen many post about uploads getting stuck. This is important and in return the upload gets pushed through very quickly almost a fast as it's reported. Yes, many like to see download counts in order to not make something again if the download count was down compaired to other things they have made with good download count.

My feelings are most of us can live without emotes, acurate DL counts and any of the other gliches in the site as long as the main parts all work which do for the most part and if a main part breaks or gets borked it does get fixed rather quickly. Emotes are a good example of a problem. Sometines they work and sometimes they don't.  This can be a very hard problem to pin down. Something like you car. Light comes on for service now or engine proble. You ride to the dealer and on the way light goes out. The dealer can't find the problem because the computer they hook up doesn't see a problem.It is good to report a situation to SD in case they aren't aware of it, the threads reporting things will get less if a honest correct reply is given back. I would accept that and think some may not be happy but will also accept it also. Here is a thought. Have SD make a thread requesting that no more threds made reporting places or things that aren't working on the site. If you have a not working issue with the site please email support and we will reply back with an answer to you if we intend to fix it but may take awhile till we can get to it, or it's not an important issure and have no time to fix this problem.

This is a very complex web site and things are going to go wrong or get borked for no know reason. I accept that and maybe just a different method and reply for site problems is all that is needed.

December 30, 2012 9:09:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Sorry to go off topic, but just FYI....after looking at my lack of downloads, I'm considering giving up DX.

I'm still using your widgets (and learning from them...don't you give up just yet!)

December 31, 2012 1:29:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Appears no one is using it anymore. Except me...lol.

So...you only do it for download counts? Mine aren't exactly flying off the shelves either...but I still enjoy doing them.

And no one else is doing widgets or gadgets...so you can't stop...and that's final!

December 31, 2012 4:36:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I like Daves suggestion of PM's or Emails for tech problems. This way is does not become a public lashing for Stardock or the person requesting a problem be addressed.

Then we can focus on good things. My opinion, for what its worth. I know , u have no change for a penny. plenty of Emotes to choose from too, that do work.

December 31, 2012 4:48:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Forgot the download issue. I can only imagine getting thousands of downloads, and how nice it would feel. But, I also would understand, as someone already suggested, that people download for all sorts of reasons. I imagine a lot of them are like myself, download, look at it , delete it because the preview was better than the skin for one reason or another, etc. So, this makes user comments more valuable to me. If a downloader takes time to post, usually it is sincere. Now , as a skinner it is very discouraging sometimes, but not for the reason you may think. If the downloads are astronomical for one skinner, or several, who are known top skinners, I say to myself, I can't compete with that, wow. Several times I have considered not skinning because of the giant totals some skinners get. I have always assumed they were accurate, and that I just do not get downloads like that. Rightfully so, surely. but inflated totals are not needed to put things in perspective. Accurate totals would help there.

Thanks.

December 31, 2012 5:37:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wise guy.

I thought you had a stash of e-motes tucked away someplace. I do for just such an emergency.

December 31, 2012 7:59:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You wouldn't be a skinner if you didn't have your own emotes.

December 31, 2012 8:00:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I agree Kitty, the fun is gone but the damage is done.

I'd like to mention also that "spun graphite" should have made the daily list on two occasions this week but didn't show up.

I've also had assurances that there are protocols in place to ensure that the counts cannot be influenced by an outside source, so the problem has to be on the site side of things. It just doesn't seem to be a concern of the WC management to maintain accurate tabs on the download counts or it would have been corrected by now.

At the risk of another promotion-less year, I'd like to think that Brad would step in and let us know what is up with this. After all he is the main man but his silence in these matters speak volumes of how he views those that provide the content to keep this site alive.

December 31, 2012 8:06:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,
So...you only do it for download counts?

No, I do it to share. But if no one is taking, then I'm not really sharing. I can skin for me and just keep them. That way, I don't stress over what works and what doesn't, for whom, and whom not (was that right? ) . 

Plus, DX doesn't seem to be getting fixed either. A lot of stuff don't seem to be getting fixed. I have serious doubts as to DX 4 ever coming out of beta. And if it does, it'll be more of the same.

Also, I was thinking to test the widely held belief that if I backed off on DX, maybe some others would jump in.

It has been said, really, that I am the main reason no one skins DX anymore. For fear that I will bury them in the gallery. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.