10 remarkable windowblinds skins being created in 2012 (imho)

By on December 29, 2012 7:50:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

TomRichter

Join Date 06/2008
+99

I think this year has been very fertile about wb releases. I have decided to pick 10 of them by giving just a brief summary about each author and skin. Just recalling this is based upon my personal feeling.

I would like to thank the authors and everybody visiting this thread by wishing A Happy New Year.

As well I am hoping nobody feels like being offended upon reading my comments. 

Yours,

Tom

1. Piranha by neone6

This being a very original blind with a plenty of animations in it. You may not find it usable, you may not be happy about some elements. BUT to me this one Andy did is pretty much remarkable. E.g. the starmenu animation is beyond my imagination. And the startbutton is a hell of skinning itself. I keep on saying that Andy is a huge talent. And if he improves the balance between artistic spirit and usability he might be a real iron in the fire in the nearest future. vStyler said he might be dangerous. He was right. Andy, keep up the splendid work.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2. Electrosexual by Vampothika

A very very original blind. I can hardly be recalling if I have ever seen the coolest startmenu. As a complex it gives a wondeful 3Dish feel

with a sleek animation in it. It has a quite overall too. If I could change something, I used a bit lighter windows text. But that is just my opinion and I may be wrong. What one is complaining about the other may love for sure. I have always wanted to do something similar. But this is so original

and cool that I will not even try to do something like this. Absolutely gorgeous Kitty.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3. HALL 2030 by vStyler

A master piece by a real master. Nope this is no flattering. This is true. John has always been puting a pile of thoughts to every new blind he comes up with. One thinks how the hell is possible he is so gifted person. I guess this is because he was born to be the first class skinner. But back to the skin. The overall and details (even tiny details) being perfectly executed. This is a shining example of the balance between artistic spirit or thought and being user friendly. Perhaps I would have changed the windows background to the light grey but I guess John purposely did it white as a contrast to the darker elements. Purely and simply FANTASTIC

4. Cimmerian by Xiandy

A perfectly executed blind. Very original and yet usable. Another person here being abnormally gifted. Cyndie will never stop amaze me

and I am so looking forward to any new skin of hers. BRAVO

5. Tanger by LightStar

Yay this being so juicy that when watching it I wanna get FANTA or a kilo of oranges before my mouth. Sharp design and balanced colours making this a very usable skin. This one is the fantastic example of creativity, simplicity and usability. GORGEOUS PURE BEAUTY, Tom

6. Day Spa by k10w3

A phrase : "Somebody knows their stuff " is more than fitting here. A bamboo styled skin being both original and usable with a veru good attention to the details makes this so hot. Eveything was put together flawlessly. But what you might be expecting from Karen. A must have indeed.

7. future sound 3 by madcat21

Great thoughts of a one talanted man. Apart from some minor glitches e.g. nearly unreadable titlebar text, this does show author's quality. Madcat21  has improved his works by miles in a quite short period. A precise craftmanship here without any doubt. 

8. Structure by DaveBax

This one being another example that only practice makes almost perfect. When installing this blind for a first time I was a bit sceptic. Not everything as a complex made sense to me. However when going thru I felt in love with it. And when bearing in mind the fact what a progress in skinning Dave reached here I was getting back to him with congrats. Dave, I wish you tuns of new ideas for the 2013.

9. Comet by 2of3

Why this didn't succeed in GUIChamps I am just wondering at. This is a must have at the first look. Perhaps not the first "space" skin in wb gallery. If I go thru it I migh be finding a couple (but not sure)  others made. But to me, this hear is a one very original skin being profi executed. Colour choices just flawless, overall is fantastic and in paralel there's a great usability in it. 

10. Espionage by theAvman

I thought the only person capable of doing red-black sexy skins is vStyler (remembering Venom?) But Harley just striked me to the head by this. 

Original, profi, perfect recolour ability, with addons .... Just awesome. Harley, you just rock, mate.

23 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 29, 2012 7:57:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I’m using Comet right now. All good picks!

December 29, 2012 8:01:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DPCloud,
I’m using Comet right now. All good picks!

Yes, Tim did a wonderful job here.

December 29, 2012 8:17:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

These ten blinds and many more are created by true artists. Not just art for art's sake but executed with a feeling for aestetics, usability and visual enjoyment. Think of what they used to be back in the day and compare them to now. Artistic talent knows no bounds. IMO 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 29, 2012 9:43:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Great list.

Thanks Tom

December 29, 2012 10:14:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

All fantastic skins there.....Thanks!

You should have included some of yours in there too, but I'm sure modesty prevents that.

Just know that I'm one of your fans, Tom!

December 29, 2012 10:28:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would not dare pick 10, so many wonderful works of art appear at WC, but, I think you picked some awesome skins and commented very honestly and respectfully.

Nice thing to post, great job all of you .

December 29, 2012 10:33:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,

You should have included some of yours in there too,

I agree. I've only been a member here since 2008 and didn't know WindowBlinds from curtains when I arrived. Skinning is what I did to my knuckles at work.

It's been amazing to watch the talented artists here grow, evolve and just get better and better.If a particular skin wasn't my style, I may not have used it but I don't need to be an artist to appreciate the time and effort that went into them. Not just the WB skinners either. Every gallery is filled with the creations of some talented, creative people. Every beginner is coached, encouraged and sometimes pushed a bit to improve. This is really a great community to be a part of.

Thanks for a good year and keep them coming.

December 29, 2012 10:54:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What I love about this post, Tom, is what you wrote about every windowblind you featured here. Your passion and respect for skinning and people is wonderful to see!  Thank you!! 

December 29, 2012 10:54:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
These ten blinds and many more are created by true artists. Not just art for art's sake but executed with a feeling for aestetics, usability and visual enjoyment. Think of what they used to be back in the day and compare them to now. Artistic talent knows no bounds. IMO 

You say it, right you are about it. 

December 29, 2012 10:56:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting neone6,
Great list.

Thanks Tom

And thank you, Andy. I wish sometimes I had a brain of yours. Truly and really. 

December 29, 2012 10:58:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,

You should have included some of yours in there too, but I'm sure modesty prevents that.

Just know that I'm one of your fans, Tom!

Oh, thank you for these nice words, Tim. I didn´t even think about mentioning mine as I still seem to be very doubtful of them. But never doubt about these ones.

And thanks for the compliment. I am a fan of yours too. 

December 29, 2012 10:59:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Very nice thread and posts. Thank you.

December 29, 2012 11:01:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting doortech1,
I would not dare pick 10, so many wonderful works of art appear at WC, but, I think you picked some awesome skins and commented very honestly and respectfully.

Nice thing to post, great job all of you .

Oh, thanks mate. I felt it was a good thing to sum up this years for wb section. And you are right. There is a plenty of other fabulous skin created. Firstly I thought of just three of them, but it was so hard to say it. Then of 5 and at last I finished with 10. 

December 29, 2012 11:02:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting 2of3, reply 5All fantastic skins there.....Thanks!

You should have included some of yours in there too,

I agree. I've only been a member here since 2008 and didn't know WindowBlinds from curtains when I arrived. Skinning is what I did to my knuckles at work.

It's been amazing to watch the talented artists here grow, evolve and just get better and better.If a particular skin wasn't my style, I may not have used it but I don't need to be an artist to appreciate the time and effort that went into them. Not just the WB skinners either. Every gallery is filled with the creations of some talented, creative people. Every beginner is coached, encouraged and sometimes pushed a bit to improve. This is really a great community to be a part of.

Thanks for a good year and keep them coming.

Thanks, Wiz. But still there is a bunch of people knowing nearly nothing about skinning but they do not hesitate to insult someone´s work. But you made me feel nice. Thanks mate 

December 29, 2012 11:06:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting teddybearcholla,
What I love about this post, Tom, is what you wrote about every windowblind you featured here. Your passion and respect for skinning and people is wonderful to see!  Thank you!! 

Thank you, but despite.... I was a bit afraid of hearing that I might have crossed the line on the judgement. Absolutely. I have a huge respect to skinning and people around it. And this applies to every person on WinCustomize trying to skin. I know very well how hard it is when starting up with the first attempts. But apart from minor individuals there is a very good support and a lot of folks (elder or more experienced) are okay to help and that is just awesome. 

December 29, 2012 11:07:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveBax,
Very nice thread and posts. Thank you.

And thank you, Dave. You´re getting better and better. All the best thoughts for 2013.

December 29, 2012 11:29:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I like them all and so many more...

December 29, 2012 11:37:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Great post Tom!

December 29, 2012 11:59:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,
I like them all and so many more...

Me too, Greg

December 29, 2012 12:00:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting karmat,
Great post Tom!

Thank you, dear

December 29, 2012 6:21:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good choices....yours are up there too, IMO.

December 29, 2012 6:26:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

abnormally gifted[/quote] That is probably the best compliment that I've got all year. Thank you Tom!

[quote who="2of3" reply="5" id="3301702"]You should have included some of yours in there too, but I'm sure modesty prevents that.

I agree completely, your skins are awesome!

(wow, the quoting is all screwed up)

December 30, 2012 8:44:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'll say......

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000516   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.