Bah, more draconian TOS [haha, they rewrote]

Instagram tests new limits in user privacy

By on December 18, 2012 10:54:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

myfist0

Join Date 01/2010
+295

While I am not a freakbook user, people should be aware of what they're clicking when they 'Agree' to sell their souls.

Instagram, which spurred suspicions this week that it would sell user photos after revising its terms of service, has sparked renewed debate about how much control over personal data users must give up to live and participate in a world steeped in social media.

In forcefully establishing a new set of usage terms, Instagram, the massively popular photo-sharing service owned by Facebook Inc, has claimed some rights that have been practically unheard of among its prominent social media peers, legal experts and consumer advocates say.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/19/us-instagram-privacy-idUSBRE8BI05A20121219

Absolutely disgusting. 

But then again, the people I know that use freakbook, do not care at all about personal privacy, and have probably never read one single TOS in there life.

Like:
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

6. USER GENERATED INFORMATION

"User Generated Information" means any information made available to other users through your use of multi-user features of Steam or to Valve or its affiliates through your use of the Software or otherwise. User Generated Information may include, but is not limited to, chat, forum posts, screen names, game selections, player performances, usage data, suggestions about Valve products or services, and error notifications. Subject to the Valve privacy policy referenced in Section 1 above, as applicable, and except as otherwise specifically addressed in any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use, you expressly grant Valve and its affiliates the non-exclusive, irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the User Generated Information and derivative works thereof in any form, anywhere, with or without attribution to you, and without any notice or compensation to you of any kind. For any content for which you take advantage of cloud storage provided by Valve, you grant us a license to store such information for you, and you represent and warrant to us that you have sufficient rights in such content to grant us this license. You acknowledge and agree that we may place limits on the amount of storage you may use.

C. NO GUARANTEES.

NEITHER VALVE NOR ITS AFFILIATES GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND/OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S) OR ANY INFORMATION AVAILABLE IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.

C. Termination by Valve.

Valve may cancel your Account or any particular Subscription(s) at any time. In the event that your Account or a particular Subscription is terminated or cancelled by Valve for a violation of this Agreement or
improper (<-- WTF is that  ) or illegal activity, no refund, including of any Subscription fees, will be granted.

13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 18, 2012 11:09:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Facebook is evil.  In fact, social media in general is a giant conglomeration of data mining life-blood suckers.  Known as fertile ground for all law enforcement efforts aimed at profiling and stratifying.

Just say no.

December 18, 2012 11:20:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And.....

....you're surprised?

Surely not...

December 18, 2012 11:32:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

BTW Jafo, can you link me to Stardocks forum TOS. I have a hell of a time trying to find that.
Why so hidden? 

EDIT: Well, I easily found the TOS for JoeUser, but it is nowhere to be found on the Sins of a Solar Empire Forum

http://www.joeuser.com/terms

(if you have made it public) is an awesome little line 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 19, 2012 12:56:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That is an awesome video you added proto , this thread can easily sidetrack to that subject.

December 19, 2012 2:56:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,
That is an awesome video you added proto , this thread can easily sidetrack to that subject.
Thanks.  Chris Duane is a former Marine that started TGTNT.  I personally subscribe. 

The lack of critical thought in our debt driven economy, and consumerist society has fueled what many believe to be an impending collapse of the dollar, along with consequential reformation imminently thereafter.  

If you are aware, you can be prepared.

The music is stopping soon.  You can already not hear it.

December 19, 2012 4:30:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

holy crap, 50+ vids. I bookmarked for when my monthly bandwidth rolls over. 

Update: 

Instagram: we won't sell your photos

He said that Instagram would re-write the terms to clarify how pictures might be used. "The language we proposed also raised question about whether your photos can be part of an advertisement," Systrom wrote. "We do not have plans for anything like this and because of that we’re going to remove the language that raised the question."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/social-media/9754817/Instagram-we-wont-sell-your-photos.html

This after a pile of well known users closed their account. 
Power to the people  

More news at freakbook

Facebook: 'No merit' to claim we broke German privacy law
You don't like our real-names rule? Tough cookies, bitch

The website's operators can suspend suspicious-looking accounts until the user provides evidence that they are who they say they are. Formal ID is often required, such as a scanned copy of that person's passport. These images are temporarily kept on Facebook's system while the real name is fully verified.

Such sensitive data being held, however fleetingly by Facebook, is undoubtedly troubling, certainly enough to rattle Schleswig-Holstein's privacy commissioner.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/18/facebook_real_name_policy_upsets_germans/

December 19, 2012 9:16:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The video stops at 2:39 and stays there.

December 19, 2012 10:07:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The one for WC Forums is at the bottom of the page... Not really sure where to find any other one.

In general principle, probably it is applicable to all...

Jafo's on a very different clock... so maybe write to support?

December 20, 2012 3:50:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
In general principle, probably it is applicable to all...

Yep.

The Forums are all inter-connected and thus the same basic rules apply.....

Rule #1.   If I don't like it...quake in fright....

Rule #2.  There is no rule #2

Rule #3.  See rule #1. ...

December 28, 2012 12:21:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pardon the C&P, but this just in...

How Instagram Is Teaching Us About Big Government:

Instagram [1], the popular photo-sharing and social-networking service acquired this year by Facebook, faces a strong public backlash over a newly proposed terms of service [2] agreement that allows your photos to be sold to outside businesses without either compensation or consent.

This move, while certainly savvy from the profit perspective, caused a huge pushback [3] from the application’s users. Whether they sent complaints, deleted photographs, or removed their entire account, the consensus seems to be that the change was a violation of a larger, somehow more fundamental agreement about the nature Instagram’s service. This sentiment was enough to motivate [4] Wired’s Mat Honan:

“By putting terms in place that offered no way to opt out, short of deleting your account, Instagram delivered an ultimatum,” he writes. “And so I quit Instagram on principle. Because I’m tired of contributing to the commodification of my own existence.”

“The commodification of my own existence.” Amazing sort of phrase. It is an American sentiment: a principled defense of the individual and the ownership of your own being, an assertion of the liberty that comes with life.

But if this is the proper response to “commodification” in the business world, why do we continue to tolerate it in politics?

After all, Instagram only wants our photographs. Perhaps they figured that Americans—being so accommodating to politicians and bureaucrats who insist on having power over land, homes, wages, television, cars, health care, and retirement funds—could stand to give up control over their venerated pictures of bare feet and empty plates. [5]

Whether it’s the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), or the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), our lives have never been more subjected to the whims of an unelected, “progressive” bureaucracy [6].

When it comes to government power grabs, it turns out everything is a commodity.

And who better to make the point than the Godfather of Liberalism [7], Woodrow Wilson?

“Suppose,” he imagines [8], “that I were building a great piece of powerful machinery, and suppose that I should so awkwardly and unskillfully assemble the parts of it that every time one part tried to move it would be interfered with by the others, and the whole thing would buckle up and be checked. Liberty for the several parts would consist in the best possible assembling and adjustment of them all, would it not?”

He goes on to make the appropriate conclusion: “Human freedom consists in perfect adjustments of human interests and human activities and human energies.”

So there’s the liberal view: Human beings are nothing more than component parts of a giant “Liberty Locomotive.” We are the commodities, and when our masterful engineers tell us that we must move one way or another, go to one place or the next—who could rightfully object?

But take heart: At least when it comes to Instagram, liberty prevails [9]. The complaints triggered a rapid apology, and the company made clear that “we respect that your photos are your photos. Period.”

Americans eagerly await such respect from our government.

December 29, 2012 12:11:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Great update, keep us posted.

The locomotive analogy reminds me of 'Thomas the Train'. I was shocked to find how much mind control they were instilling into toddlers, including union busting, the female train relegated to laundry and flower picking, venture of the rails and be laughed at and ridiculed to you are on the same track as everyone else, mountain trains as retards, and on and on and on. I was disgusted.

EDIT: How did you like Zuckerburgs sister being pissed about her freakbook photo being shared globally.
I laughed my ass off.  

December 29, 2012 1:33:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting myfist0,
The locomotive analogy reminds me of 'Thomas the Train'. I was shocked to find how much mind control they were instilling into toddlers, including union busting, the female train relegated to laundry and flower picking, venture of the rails and be laughed at and ridiculed to you are on the same track as everyone else, mountain trains as retards, and on and on and on. I was disgusted.

You should have a read of Noddy ....

....that one made us all what we are now....

December 29, 2012 2:54:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Protoplazm,
Facebook is evil.  In fact, social media in general is a giant conglomeration of data mining life-blood suckers.  Known as fertile ground for all law enforcement efforts aimed at profiling and stratifying.

Just say no.

Whoa.....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000204   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.