Save Layout while upgrading?

By on December 5, 2012 12:22:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

pmulcahy11b

Join Date 06/2004

Is there any way to save your icon layout while my computer upgrades from Pro to v2.0 (after I manage to get past the certificate problem -- something I have yet to manage successfully)?  Do I really have to take a screen shot so that I can find out what was in the fences, and then manually search all five hard drives to get them back into the new Fences?  If v2.0 doesn't save the layout when it upgrades, that is a SERIOUS oversight on the part of Stardock.

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 5, 2012 1:06:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

NO, you do not need to take any screenshots.

When you uninstall Fences 1.x Pro, you get an option to delete your current Fences + settings, choose NO. This should keep the settings + Fences for the 2.0 version to use.
It worked for me - I asked the same question a few weeks ago.  

EDIT: What certificate problem? What Windows OS are you on - XP, Vista, 7, 8/etc?

December 7, 2012 12:12:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm on Win 7.  I use Fences on my desktop and I'm on my laptop right now -- I'll get you the exact error wording tomorrow when the painkillers and Ativan have worn off. (I can probably manage a screenshot through one of the graphics programs I have.) IIRC right now, the message has to do with certificates of some sort, and is telling me to completely uninstall Fences Pro before installing Fences 2.0.  Hence, the part of my message that above about not being able to save the desktop layout.

December 8, 2012 7:53:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The exact message is:

Previous Version Found

"Please uninstall the previous version of Fences AND REBOOT before proceeding with the Fences 2 installation.  The Install will now exit." (The capitalized words were in the error message and not me shouting.)

Analysis of Windows Event Viewer yielded nothing, and I could find nothing else on my computer, machine- or software-wise, that is causing this disagreeable situation.

I'm also mystified as to why I thought it was a certificate problem. (Painkillers and Ativan? )

When you asked the same question a few weeks ago, what answer(s) did you get?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 8, 2012 9:27:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Did you install Fences via Impulse back in the day?

December 8, 2012 11:21:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No, I haven't used Impulse in..I don't know when.  When originally installed, Stardock was between update methods and I had to install Fences (and the other parts of Object Desktop) individually.  (I'm so happy that's not necessary anymore.) 

December 12, 2012 8:03:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

What happens when you try to uninstall Fences 1.x?? This is what you should do - uninstall the old one first, then install the new one.

You should get TWO prompts when uninstalling the old Fences app - do you want to uninstall Fences, choose Yes. 
Then another prompt should appear, I now don't remember clearly, but it should say:
Do you want to keep your fences and settings (if this is it, choose YES).
Or maybe
Do you want to delete your fences and settings (if this one shows, choose NO).

Then restart, then install Fences 2.x. 

December 18, 2012 11:24:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks, Nakibest, your instructions worked perfectly.  I uninstalled following your instructions, rebooted, installed v2, and all my icons marched right back to their original fences.

December 21, 2012 6:05:58 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting pmulcahy11b,
Thanks, Nakibest, your instructions worked perfectly.  I uninstalled following your instructions, rebooted, installed v2, and all my icons marched right back to their original fences.

OK then, glad it worked for you!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.