Disable Fences 1.0 Notification

How to disable irritating notification dialog.

By on December 3, 2012 1:16:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

gsquared

Join Date 08/2005

I have bought a new licence for Fences 2.0 but I have a bunch of configured machines that are still using Fences 1.0 and have no real need to upgrade - is there any way of disabling the new version available pop up notification?

It is getting really irritating on machines that we don't need or want to update.

G^2

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 22, 2013 4:56:53 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Right click on a fence configure fences go to about untick automatically check for updates

that has stopped them for me

May 22, 2013 7:48:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Unfortunately, short of upgrading, it is not possible to disable the new version notifications.

May 23, 2013 8:22:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yes it is possible. Just remove the program from your machine.

It works perfectly.

No more popup spam on my machines. I wonder, are they planning on spamming us with version 2.0 of the program also? If so that would be another good reason to avoid the program, unfortunately.

People do many stupid things in the quest for money.

Johnnie

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 23, 2013 8:36:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ohohoy,
Yes it is possible. Just remove the program from your machine.

It works perfectly.

Thank you for your erudite observations....

May 23, 2013 8:57:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ohohoy,
No more popup spam on my machines. I wonder, are they planning on spamming us with version 2.0 of the program also? If so that would be another good reason to avoid the program, unfortunately.

The V1 of Fences has been retired.  Providing a notice that it is unsupported could be considered a service.  V2 does not have a free version, just a trial and a full (at a significant discount from v1), so will not have the same functionality.

May 23, 2013 9:28:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Providing this notice (sales spam) over and over on someones computer with out asking first and with no way of disabling it except removing the program is, SPAM. I never ever saw any "notices" until you started pushing version 2, then I started getting the popups.

The popup is there to sell products and not as you say, to notify anyone of the program being retired. Come on, do you think we are all stupid? The program (version 1) is still being offered on file sites. If you really want to stop people from using the old version of the program you might consider starting there. Of course you won't because everyone who installs the old version from those sites automatically and unwittingly becomes a subject of your spam (notice).

Johnnie

May 23, 2013 9:34:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ohohoy,
I never ever saw any "notices" until you started pushing version 2, then I started getting the popups.

Perhaps you should then follow your own suggested 'solution'.

The old version [1] is discontinued.  That means it won't be supported on newer hardware/system/OS installations - for that you will need to upgrade.

May 23, 2013 10:50:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am waiting for you to fix the icon sorting thing before updating that XP machine.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Johnnie

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.