Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

substyle help

can not reach my teacher

By on December 1, 2012 6:45:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

doortech1

Join Date 12/2011
+248

Mission accomplished, thanks everyone.

13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 1, 2012 8:09:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't skin WB's but if I can help in other ways let me know.

December 1, 2012 9:13:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

First 12 megs means there must be something not right. never saw one even close to that.

To make a new sub style got to File top left of skinstudio. Click on Substyle mamagement. A window will open and ask for a name. Lets say the present name is MINE. You can call the new one MINE VISTA. After that is done and you open SS again you can open either one. However now with mine vista you have to dekete some seven parts and unless you know for sure you should leave it alone as is. My suggestion because you have 7 and vista combined just note in your writeup at upload it work on both win 7 and vista. That is the way i would do it at this time.

If you wish to do this again just make the seven WB and then make a new sub for vista and add the vista parts. Remember this you mush make sure the seven is completed because if you make a new sub style for vista and then make any changes to the seven one you must go to the vista sub and add them in.

Really it's fine as is and just note what it works ob. 7 and vista. Still shouldn't be 12 megs. Don't understand that.

December 1, 2012 9:45:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There are a few things that can make a skin that large in size.

One could be that you didn't clean out the unused images. In SKS, click the Tools button up top and choose 'clean skin'. that will eliminate any unassigned images from the skin.

Another reason could be that you have quite a few large images in the skin. Bigger images = lots more megs.

And one other reason could be you have big animations, or many animations.

I recommend that you do the 'clean skin' thing before you make your substyle, and then do it again every now and then along the way when you are working on the substyle.

Once the skin is done (or anytime during the making of the skin), navigate to the windowblind folder and empty out the backup folder and the temporary image folder, then make your .wba.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 1, 2012 10:14:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks Cyndie. I do all that but it didn't even cross my old mind to think of saying it. You know i'm a senior and would of thought of it tomorrow.

December 2, 2012 6:02:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks Dave and Xiandi. I am glad for the assistance. Dave, I did what you suggest as far as the sub, I just was worried it was wrong because the file size did not change much after making the substyle. Is it that Vista and Seven use many same parts and are not differentiated in the substyle, so images get used for both os?

Xiandi. I have done the clean skin several times and also went in and manually removed excess images, and, while I was in the folder I noticed some size issues with my glass portions. I do not want to sacrifice quality to reduce them so I am not sure if I can make it much smaller. I have  animations, actually just one, and it is an nwa file, also I have lots of glyph images which are also transparent. I wonder if I should delte any xp stuff like expl. icons and classic buttons and such, but am unsure of what may be used still.

When I make a new image , lets say a new caption{top frame}, I would make the image and save it as my top instead of overwriting the original and wonder if this is the proper way?This leaves somewhat duplicate images and I believe I may be doing this part wrong. Any thoughts on that? 

Thank you both for the help, I hate bothering you all, but am very grateful for your assistance. Brian.

December 2, 2012 6:06:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
I don't skin WB's but if I can help in other ways let me know.

Just a million bucks then Uvah, then I can hire out this confusing part of skinning. Thanks for taking notice of my post, like you miss any forums! Stay healthy .

December 2, 2012 6:47:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting doortech1,
then I can hire out this confusing part of skinning

And where's the fun in that?

December 2, 2012 6:53:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i will email you on Monday Bri, so you have my email addy again... listen to what Dave said about substyles, its correct, and he has explained

it way better than i could.  send me the wba when you want too.. ill try my best to take a look at it on 7. and if you have any extra questions.. just ask them to me as well....

take care you crazy muther f""cker lolz

kitty.

December 2, 2012 7:23:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have gone through the skin folder and managed to get it down to slightly over 10mb. I have lots of transparency in the skin including glyphs and am assuming it just adds up. I see nothing in the file that is large in size other than my explorer glass, which each image is about 800kb, size is 6x1000 pixels, for the gradient effect, my animation is about 500mb. I guess all is in order  thanks to your suggestions about checking the file. Also, as I said, all the vista images are in the skin so it is a lot of images. Does this seem to big still?

Vamps. How yah been.  Thought maybe you moved to New Zealand or something. Glad you still kicking, ass that is, always at the top of the list and cutting edge you{and Andy},look forward to your email. I am fighting the urge to upload, been working on this skin forever peeps and it is a christmas skin, so I am running out of time. LOL. Thanks again everyone, really, truly, sincerely,most appreciative.

December 2, 2012 8:07:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

doortech- If you cleaned your skin there won't be extra files in it. If you have a graphic in a place and make one with a different name and place it over the other one when you clean it the graphic will show ibn the list to be removed. And'y new skin has lots of cool animations in it and the file size is 112 megs. so with your extra glass graphics and nwa I wouldn't worry about the size. It is what it is and if it's 10 or 12 megs that is what it is.

If you don't want this for xp I would go into the "sp specific files" Go into each section and delete the code using skinstudio. that will delete the graphics, when you are done don't forget to clean the skin and delete the 2 folders the graphics were put it, If you wish you can also open the WB folder and delete the avi xp files. In the WB folder at the bottom you will see a couple files at the bottom that say "xp stuff" Don't delete those as it will affect the overall WB.

Send the WB to kitty as she suggested after you have done the above and as I said after you do that the size is what it is and don't worry about it.

Hell I had to add another hard drive just to say Andy's skin as they are so large.

December 2, 2012 8:11:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks Dave for the additional tips. Especially the xp tip. I had deleted most xp images but was unsure if it was okay to delete the animations. I will do that. Also, I have had a successful day and conquered the substyle mess. So, short of some finishing touches and Vamps approval, I will soon be done. You are awesome with the help so thank you, thanks again Xiandi and Vamps.

December 3, 2012 10:22:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Glad I could help.

April 29, 2013 7:50:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting doortech1,
I just was worried it was wrong because the file size did not change much after making the substyle. Is it that Vista and Seven use many same parts and are not differentiated in the substyle, so images get used for both os?

A substyle won't add much "weight" to your file unless there are many new images included. The substyle file (.sss) is basically just a command file that tells WB how to apply the images in the folder.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.