The Car Talk Thread: What do you have?

By on November 26, 2012 10:52:45 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1484

So what kind of car do you drive?

I've got a Chevy Volt.  Best car I've ever had.  

Locked Post 60 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 27, 2012 12:41:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,
Here's mine - another Focus 1.6TDCi

Brilliant color. I really love this facelift version, especially for the bigger instrument cluster display.

November 27, 2012 1:00:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've got a Chevy Volt.  Best car I've ever had.

So, did that come with a full tank of Government Kool-Aid?

November 27, 2012 4:53:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BONEHEADdb,
I knew you had some redeeming qualities.

Sadly, those redeeming qualities resulted in my suffering 136 fractures [one prang] and a lifetime of arthritic pain and discomfort.  Yeah, some bastard ran me off the road and left me for dead... lay there all busted up for and hour until somebody came along, then spent the next 3 years in hospital getting fixed.  So, as much as I still love and admire bikes, its only from a distance these days.

[e digicons]:'([/e]

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 27, 2012 5:02:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting starkers,
Sadly, those redeeming qualities resulted in my suffering 136 fractures [one prang] and a lifetime of arthritic pain and discomfort. Yeah, some bastard ran me off the road and left me for dead... lay there all busted up for and hour until somebody came along, then spent the next 3 years in hospital getting fixed. So, as much as I still love and admire bikes, its only from a distance these days.

Damn. Suppose they never found the scumbag either, huh?

back to topic:

Currently driving a 2008 Chev 1500 4x4 Crew Cab.

Also have:

2005 Chev 2500HD 4x4 Ext. Cab Duramax (in process of some "upgrades" for way too long now, lol!)

1999 Chev 1500 4x4 Ext. Cab (mostly my stepdad borrows this and uses it about half the time)

1992 Chev Camaro Z28 (needs some serious love on the body/paint right now)

So yeah, being a single guy, I just may have a couple too many vehicles right now. Think I may be on my way to being a vehicle hoarder.

November 27, 2012 7:14:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Love my Ki-Ki!

November 27, 2012 8:10:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

2001 Chevy S10

Manual

Four cylinder

2 Wheel drive.

Nothing fancy

November 27, 2012 8:29:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Today it's a 2013 Dodge Avenger RT...nice car...sound system rocks.

I trade cars for a new one when they run low on gas, which is about every 3 or 4 days. It's one of the perks of my job.

November 27, 2012 8:54:16 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting CarGuy1,
Today it's a 2013 Dodge Avenger

Those Dodges dent easy. just tap the door with a shopping cart or another car door and it will literally collapse in. Tin cans.Imho

November 27, 2012 8:57:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting CarGuy1,
Today it's a 2013 Dodge Avenger RT...nice car...sound system rocks.

I trade cars for a new one when they run low on gas, which is about every 3 or 4 days. It's one of the perks of my job.

I want your job...or one just like it.

November 27, 2012 10:19:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Our family fleet is a 2005 Audi A6 Quattro and a 2009 VW Jetta TDI. The latter is a diesel and we routinely get over 40 MPG. Our next car will be a Tesla Model S powered by a new solar installation.

November 27, 2012 10:40:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting xinh2,
Tesla Model S

November 27, 2012 10:56:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

2007 2-Door Honda Civic and yes its a manual.  I get over 35mpg+ and love it!   

Brad you still have the Porsche? 

Damn Starkers! Hopefully Karma comes around and kicks that person's ass! 

November 27, 2012 11:29:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Gee...all this concern re mileage....I only do about 8000km a year so consumption isn't all that of an issue....tank gets empty...I fill it.

16 valve direct ignition and direct injection 2.3 litre turbo can get good mileage....if I drive about 20kph above the legal limit....or 20kph below when the lip spoiler on the back actually has an effect on handling....

Terry's brother [who can't drive...same blindness issue as Terry] has 3 cars [other than the every day one] ... a '72 Corvette, a '70 Camaro, and the latest... a '70 'Cuda ...all LHD...all club reg. [the 'Vette was used in the Formula One drivers' parade in Melbourne a few years ago]...

Needless to say....my 9000 is quicker than any of 'em ...and less thirsty...[a bit]..

November 27, 2012 11:49:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

2012 Chevy Volt.. 

I Bought it for the subsidy..   

Did a cost analysis vs my trade in 2006 Grand Prix.. it was well worth the trade in based on my commute and drive pattern.. I leased so a couple years, I have to figure out what I want to do after that, wouldn't be against a volt, but it has to make sense.

getting about 150Mpg on 45 miles per day..  I use > 1/2 gallon a day for my trip to work, fillup every 3 weeks or so.. in the warm weather I can make the trip with no gas  (but I'm on last of my charge when I pull into the garage, winter drive, the engine turns on 1/2 way home)

DTE even subsidized the 240V garage charger with a cheaper off peak charge rate (~$0.70 a charge vs $1.40)

(funny thing about the DTE subsidy, the contractor did all the work for just under the cost they were willing to subsidize($1960 vs $2000).. funny thing how that worked out like that.)

Overall.. liking the Volt.. I really don't understand all the bad press.

November 28, 2012 4:59:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Leo in WI,
Quoting starkers,
reply 28
Sadly, those redeeming qualities resulted in my suffering 136 fractures [one prang] and a lifetime of arthritic pain and discomfort. Yeah, some bastard ran me off the road and left me for dead... lay there all busted up for and hour until somebody came along, then spent the next 3 years in hospital getting fixed. So, as much as I still love and admire bikes, its only from a distance these days.

Damn. Suppose they never found the scumbag either, huh?

Nope, only got a partial plate and I could only give a vague vehicle description.  Besides, I was too messed up and wracked with pain to be focussing on the vehicle's make and model, etc.

November 28, 2012 7:17:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
Nope, only got a partial plate and I could only give a vague vehicle description. Besides, I was too messed up and wracked with pain to be focussing on the vehicle's make and model, etc.

starkers....you were the biker...ergo it was your fault.

Everyone knows how it works....

November 28, 2012 9:18:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BigBad,
Overall.. liking the Volt.. I really don't understand all the bad press.

I think the bad press comes from the fact that tax payers are footing a LARGE chunk of the bill for other peoples personal transportation. You used the term subsidy....I call it my tax dollars.

November 28, 2012 10:34:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
starkers....you were the biker...ergo it was your fault.

Everyone knows how it works....
Yes, indeed. I got backed over once while sitting on my bike,in a parking space, stopped...in a parking lot. The guy still claimed it was MY fault!

November 28, 2012 10:50:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lantec,

Quoting BigBad, reply 39Overall.. liking the Volt.. I really don't understand all the bad press.

I think the bad press comes from the fact that tax payers are footing a LARGE chunk of the bill for other peoples personal transportation. You used the term subsidy....I call it my tax dollars.

That is true. However, I can't help that. My solar panels at my house had a lot of subsidies as well.  If it's any consolation, I suspect that virtually all Volt owners pay far more in taxes than the average American does at this point.

The Volt, as a car, is better than anything I've ever driven. Even if it weren't electric, I would find it an excellent car. It has features and usability that I suspect will become common place.  When you sit in a Volt, forgetting it's electric, it doesn't take one long to think "Why aren't all cars designed this way?"  The ergonomics and utility of it for its size is amazing.

The fact it's electric just magnifies that and it is a big deal.  I've had my Volt since early 2011 and I've only used 13 gallons of gas in all that time.  I drive every day but I rarely have to drive more than 30 miles at a time and the Volt gets around 35 miles on a charge.

It means I can use my iPhone and turn on just the climate control in the Winter and have it all warmed up when I get down (or call cooled up in the Summer) without the inefficiencies of having to run an ICE.

November 28, 2012 1:01:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The oil companies have been getting subsidies for decades. I fail to see why solar/wind power development shouldn't get the same. For this technology to take off and become more widespread, the playing field has to be at least somewhat level. Big Oil has its lobbyists working hard to see that it never happens.

November 28, 2012 1:03:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BigBad,
2012 Chevy Volt..

I Bought it for the subsidy..
I leased 

Other than a possibility of lower lease payments, there is no tax credit on a leased Volt for the end consumer / leasee. The leasing company owns the car and is the one that can claim the tax credit.

The leasing company can claim the credit and can factor it into the lease payments. This can benefit the leasee in the form of lower lease payments.

November 28, 2012 2:31:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

2005 Subaru STI

November 29, 2012 1:23:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ok, technically I bought the use for 2 yrs. 30,000 miles, so yes I did not buy the car, just the use of the car(aka lease).  It was still the subsidy that lowered my lease payments, yes the lease company got the incentive, but they knocked that off the lease calculation.  

I also didn't want to risk getting stuck with a car that didn't age well, and right now that is a risk, but it seems like GM did a pretty good job, just no history of this technology,it may be better at aging, it may not, so it's a risk.  I let the leasing company take that risk.

The second subsidy I get to keep.  I originally didn't know about this but Michiaan/DTE has an incentive to put in the $2k 240V car charger and separate meter in your garage.  That car charger knocks the price for charging from ~$0.14/kwh to $0.08/kwh(in off peak, and decreases charge time from ~10 hrs to ~3 hrs).. That was money I was not counting on, but I won't turn it down. I get the keep the charger, which should be good if I decide to buy or lease a PEV in the future.

(I am really not for government picking winners and losers, but if part of my tax money is already going towards supporting these things I am willing to get this benefit.)

December 12, 2012 3:46:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Volkswagen Jetta TDI.  Turbo-powered German engineering that gets nearly 50 MPG on the highway.  City mileage isn't that great in comparison, mid-30s, but that is still pretty good!

December 12, 2012 5:02:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The oil companies have been getting subsidies for decades. I fail to see why solar/wind power development shouldn't get the same. For this technology to take off and become more widespread, the playing field has to be at least somewhat level. Big Oil has its lobbyists working hard to see that it never happens.

Myth.  Oil company "subsidies" are what rational people call creative accounting on the part of the government.

It works like so, you run a business, deduct all of your expenses from your gross income, and pay taxes on your net, profit.  The oil company runs their business, deducts the expenses they're allowed to call expenses, and then lying assholes in the government and media claim we're subsidizing them.

The main subsidy everyone bitches about is accelerated depreciation for wells that don't actually pay for themselves.  Uncle wrote such insane depreciation terms for oil wells that they run dry long before the cost of building them(an expense) can be deducted fully.

They get to a point where it's more cost effective to junk the well, scrap it and take your capital loss.  You can deduct the rest of the cost that very year and solve your problem.  This of course leads to half the oil still sitting in the ground as a "dry well" is anything but dry.  Fiscally sound, economically stupid.  Kinda like building a wind farm for the subsidy and then letting it rot because it costs more to maintain than you'll ever make off it.

That said, I don't really have a problem with the Frog getting massive subsidies on his silly environmental expenditures.  One of the "benefits" of being the rich guy that pays for 99% of that crap is that he's wealthy enough to get some of his tax dollars back like this.  He's still getting hosed more than the average joe, even after he blows all that money.

It's the GE's of the world that burn me.  Build windmills, sell them at a loss, receive subsidy for profit, pay no taxes.  Exxon on the other hand pays over half of it's profit in taxes, it actually loses money on operations in the United States as it pays more taxes to uncle than it makes in country.  There is no subsidy.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000516   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.