Creating Wallpapers

art as wallpaper

By on November 20, 2012 2:20:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

arnvid

Join Date 11/2012

Hi,

- as an professional artist, I plan to share some of my art work as wallpapers. Free of course, as it's only art work with my signature I put into galleries for sale.

My question/s then is pretty basic:
- I only want to upload the wallpaper (not a theme, but if anyone find something they would like to build a theme around, that's of course no problem), so what size (in pixels) is preferred - is there any resolution preferred - and what file format should I upload in?

Thank you in advance for any answers

Cheers

Arnvid

15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 20, 2012 2:27:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would recommend sizes of at least 1920 x 1200 and 1280 x 1024 arnvid. Most images will pretty well adapt to the users resolution. For instance, a 1920 x 1200 image should look just fine on most widescreen monitors and a 1280 x 1024 on most standard resolution monitors.

November 20, 2012 2:32:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

arnvid you probably should take a look at these guidelines for starters.  http://wincustomize.com/upload-guidelines

No doubt that folks experienced in making wallpapers will stop by and give you some more information. 

Welcome to the community. 

November 20, 2012 4:56:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Welcome!

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 20, 2012 5:44:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi arnvid

Most widescreen monitors today are 1920x1080 or have the same aspect ratio such as 1600x900. I upload both 1920x1080 and 1920x1200.

November 20, 2012 5:50:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks LightStar and Philly0381.

Had a look on wallpapers available, and my only consideration is that there seem to be no contemporary fine art. It's a lot of fine art work, but it's more toward what we (wrongly) could call 'illustrations' and not what I should call 'free art'.

I had international art project under the patronage of UNESCO head office in Paris, and worked through standard galleries. But I see that visual art today is very close to dead compared to music and other art forms. Fine visual art is kidnapped by galleries and museums, and the art dealers are unfortunately close to having a 'pimp' function where artists are sold as a brand together with their art work.

That's why I do my art work today on rock concerts, on lectures with wide screen - and I was thinking that a place as wincustomize could be another way to break up the power of galleries and museums. But as said, when looking at what's available - I don't think my work really would fit into the 'brand' of wincustomize. Mind you, it's not to say it's a problem of wincustomize - it's maybe more that the users of wincustomize would not be ready for fine art. I guess you can see an example here of my own expression:

But that's ok, I like wincustomize - and I will for sure find a outlet soon (-:

November 20, 2012 6:13:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting arnvid,
I don't think my work really would fit into the 'brand' of wincustomize. Mind you, it's not to say it's a problem of wincustomize - it's maybe more that the users of wincustomize would not be ready for fine art.

arnvid....hi...

The important point to note is that Wincustomize.com is a skinning site, not a fine art site, and the wallpaper gallery is specifically for artwork appropriate for the function of wallpaper on a desktop GUI, not specifically art found on the walls of the Louvre.

Submissions to the Wallpaper gallery here are moderated to help limit the resulting size of the gallery as the other skin sections tend to take preference.

An ART-specific site would be Deviantart.com, which is probably the largest art/community site on the Net....

November 20, 2012 6:17:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Be sure to look at the guichamos.com site to see a sampling of competative wallpaper submissions.

November 20, 2012 7:07:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm not sure I would want to hang my monitor on the wall but thanks anyway.

About art appreciation and WC members: You may be right. The only oil painting I have is in my driveway.

November 20, 2012 7:11:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't see why users can not speak for themselves as to what they would use. If we do not get to see it, how do we know if we want it. I think a trial might be a fair start . Just test the water maybe. We download what is available, make it available. JMO though. Also, c'mon, Deviant Art has gone south over the past few years. Luck to you at that site if you end up there.

November 20, 2012 7:30:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting doortech1,
I don't see why users can not speak for themselves as to what they would use. If we do not get to see it, how do we know if we want it. I think a trial might be a fair start . Just test the water maybe. We download what is available, make it available

No.  The Internet is inundated with wallpaper sites.  There are thousands of them and thus no need for yet another.

The focus of Wincustomize.com is on SKINNING, where wallpapers are merely an adjunct and not the prime raison d'etre...

November 20, 2012 8:12:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi Jafo, see your point - or rather, you confirmed my point (-:

Had a look at Deviantart.com, but it was not exactly my cup of tea. Fact is that I like the selection of Stardock far better - and if it's not for my work, that's not a problem at all. I got lot of places for my work, my issue was (and is) to break down some borders for fine art, but then it need to be sites with moderators - so to keep the standard of works on a certain level. I find this on Stardock - but I see it's a skinning site, and that's the reason why I will still be using Stardock products.

Zubaz, tried to look at guichamos.com - but was not able to open the site )-:
Will try again for sure!

doortech1, see your point, and agree at the same time with Jafon on Skinner, ups - sorry Skinning - LMAO

November 20, 2012 8:24:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

guichamps. sorry.

November 20, 2012 8:26:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

November 20, 2012 9:02:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Great Zubaz, even if I don't like sport/competitions too much (he, he) - I found guichamps a great site, and on the 'level' I look for. Just downloaded the DreamMaker - interesting

November 21, 2012 2:06:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting doortech1, reply 9I don't see why users can not speak for themselves as to what they would use. If we do not get to see it, how do we know if we want it. I think a trial might be a fair start . Just test the water maybe. We download what is available, make it available

No.  The Internet is inundated with wallpaper sites.  There are thousands of them and thus no need for yet another.

The focus of Wincustomize.com is on SKINNING, where wallpapers are merely an adjunct and not the prime raison d'etre...

Yeah, I guess there are a trillion walls available. Not a problem with me, I just like skinning anyway. Thanks for allowing me to voice my opinion, even if in hindsite I wish I had not. Not because of the conclusion, but I think I saw your response coming and should have understood why before asking. Thanks for not beating me up over my post though. Have a great day all.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000891   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.