Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Registry

By on November 19, 2012 4:03:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Twilight_Storm

Join Date 07/2009
+92

So...does anyone know where I can get a FREE program that can fix registry problems on my computer?  I tried to open a .PCK file, my computer won't recognize it, and the program I did find said there was a 97% chance it was due to a registry problem...right before it told me to buy it if it wanted me to actually FIX the problem.....

-Twi /)

18 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 19, 2012 4:10:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Glary's Utilities has a decent registry fix module. Free software too!

November 19, 2012 4:19:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, that is what I was looking for...but it sadly did not solve the problem...thanks anyway, though.

-Twi /)

November 19, 2012 4:22:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

On the chance that someone knows what's going on, when the download completes, it opens a notepad with the following written in it:

[autorun]
open=Install.exe
icon=icon.ico

Any other suggestions?

-Twi /)

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 19, 2012 7:18:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I may have a use for that later, but it didn't solve the problem either.  Oh well, I'll have to resort to their "Ticket" system and hope for the best...last time I had a problem, it took a month before they got back to me...by which time I'd already solved the problem myself.

Oh, it should probably be noted that this is an installation problem with Perfect World International...if anyone else has had problems there.  This is so frusterating I may just drop it and switch back to Sins...at least it works right.

-Twi /)

November 20, 2012 2:51:23 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

CCleaner or WiseCleaner.

November 20, 2012 3:37:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

CCleaner, Wisecleaner and or Advanced System Care 6... http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

November 26, 2012 4:13:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So as it turns out, the registry thing was just a ploy to get me to download the registry cleaner(Of which I have 6 now...gotta delete those later...)  Anyway, for those who are interested(Probably just me)  I got it to work using my awesome technophile skills.  Also, I bypassed auto-play, which is what wasn't working. 

-Huzzah!

November 26, 2012 1:30:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Them dl buttons'll do it every time.

November 26, 2012 1:52:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

CCleaner is a decent free one.

November 26, 2012 2:03:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you don't know what you're doing... and really understand the Registry keys and the software represented, you really shouldn't play with it... You can cause terrible/fatal problems.

Registry cleaners are often 'over zealous'... and that's NOT a good thing.

Take it to people you trust. This is one of those cases where less is more... the less you play with it, the longer your computer will live.

November 26, 2012 2:45:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's why I like CCleaner- it mostly sticks to uninstalled programs and other extraneous stuff.

November 26, 2012 3:07:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Alstein,
That's why I like CCleaner- it mostly sticks to uninstalled programs and other extraneous stuff.

CCleaner can get overzealous too... if you don't understand what it wants to "fix", don't allow it to fix it.

November 26, 2012 3:50:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Registry is just a collection of configurations for your computer. Configurations cannot be automagically "fixed", because no automatic tool can guess how do you want your applications to behave. Sure, there are rules that can determine and tidy up leftovers after bad uninstall scripts, but a runaway automatic process can screw your configuration real good due to all kinds of bugs and oversights of its creators.

November 26, 2012 3:55:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
If you don't know what you're doing... and really understand the Registry keys and the software represented, you really shouldn't play with it... You can cause terrible/fatal problems.

Take it to people you trust. This is one of those cases where less is more... the less you play with it, the longer your computer will live.

Quoting DrJBHL,
.. if you don't understand what it wants to "fix", don't allow it to fix it.

" a runaway automatic process can screw your configuration real good"

Egg-Frikkin-Xactly!!!

November 26, 2012 8:45:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I post the problem, and get 2 good answers...I fix the problem, and suddenly everyone has an opinion?

God hates me...

-Huzzah!

November 26, 2012 10:22:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Would you have listened If I would have just said LEAVE YOUR DARNED REGISTRY ALONE????? No I didn't think so

besides, Jafo had it covered by reply #4

November 26, 2012 10:52:44 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

I agree. I won't use any registry programs or allow any program to "fix' my registry.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000360   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.