Pin an internet bookmark to taskbar

By on November 18, 2012 9:29:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

jonbrookes99

Join Date 11/2012

Hi there,

Stardock is working great for me so far but this is causing me problems.

I use firefox and want to pin a bookmark to the taskbar which will open up a firefox window at that web url.  However I cannot pin the bookmark to the taskbar without it being part of the right click menu of the firefox shortcut which is already there.  I want a separate icon with the bookmark in it.

It has to be this way as it is for a mediapc and I have my remote set to use the shortcuts on the taskbar by having a button programmed to be winkey+1, winkey+2, etc.  With the remote I cannot select the firefox icon with a right click then scroll up and select the particular bookmark.

Any way to have a firefox bookmark with its own separate icon on the start8 taskbar?  I do not want to use internet explorer!

Many thanks

Jon

4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 18, 2012 9:34:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am curious.. do you mean like when you right click something and select "Pin to Start" ? Or do you mean the windows task bar (the one at the bottom of the screen that spans the length of the desktop)?

The reason why I ask is you called it Start8 taskbar. I was not aware that Start8 had a task bar, but rather a start menu.

Thanks!

November 18, 2012 9:52:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,

Hi there,

Stardock is working great for me so far but this is causing me problems.

I use firefox and want to pin a bookmark to the taskbar which will open up a firefox window at that web url.  However I cannot pin the bookmark to the taskbar without it being part of the right click menu of the firefox shortcut which is already there.  I want a separate icon with the bookmark in it.

It has to be this way as it is for a mediapc and I have my remote set to use the shortcuts on the taskbar by having a button programmed to be winkey+1, winkey+2, etc.  With the remote I cannot select the firefox icon with a right click then scroll up and select the particular bookmark.

Any way to have a firefox bookmark with its own separate icon on the start8 taskbar?  I do not want to use internet explorer!

Many thanks

Jon

This might be a very lame way of doing it but try this...

1. right-click your desktop and select "New->Shortcut"

2. in the first page type/copy-paste the following:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe <URL>

where <URL> is wherever you want (http://www.stardock.com for example).

(This assumes your firefox is installed in c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox. If it is not, you can use the Browse capability to find your firefox.exe.)

3. in the next page call the shortcut whatever you want, like "Firefox Stardock.com"

4. click finish

5. right click the shortcut you just created and select "Pin to Taskbar"

November 18, 2012 10:44:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks cookmv, I had just found the same solution you suggested!  The same advice here:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-pin-a-website-link-to-windows-7-taskbar/

Yes, it works perfectly - for whatever reason when I right click the newly created shortcut by your method I have the option to pin it to the taskbar, whereas if I create a generic 'internet shortcut' by dragging a firefox bookmark to the desktop, I do not have the option to pin it to the taskbar from the right click menu.

Sorted, thank you.  Now all I have to is figure out how to extract favicons from firefox so I can have the bookmark icons on the taskbar instead of a row of firefox icons.  A job for another night..

Regards

Jon

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 19, 2012 2:08:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

great support  Cookmv. Thumbs up.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000437   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.