Windows 8 Fences Slow to Startup

By on November 18, 2012 7:21:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

mark28967

Join Date 10/2012

Have installed Fences on Windows 8.

Tried it on a laptop I tried Windows 8 out on a week or so ago, and now have put it on a Windows 8 Pro (x64) install...

On laptop Fences behaved fine. Well, it behaves fine on the Windows 8 Pro on my main computer BUT it takes about 15 seconds to load after windows finishes loading. I have no desktop Icons until Fences finally loads (or perhaps loads straight away but nothing shows for 15 seconds or so). The machine boots in about 5 seconds or so, so its really annoying that Fences takes all this time to load before my PC is all ready to use.

Any suggestions??

I only bought it a couple of weeks ago, has there been a new version that solves any of this, is it a common problem??

51 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 19, 2012 10:04:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

What other applications are running at startup?

November 19, 2012 11:41:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Kaspersky Internet Security 2013

Your Start8 start bar program

Adobe CS6 Service Manager (3 of the CS6 suite are installed, such as photoshop)

That's it really.

November 19, 2012 11:50:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Im just uninstalling Kaspersky and stopping everything i can from launching to see if its Kaspersky... Im very au fait with computers so I'll get it to launch the minimum.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 19, 2012 11:56:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Right, Ive uninstalled Kaspersky, and absolutely everything Adobe runs on startup in the task manager.

Still the same slooooooooooow.

This only leaves Fences and 3 Intel things

hkcmd Moduke

igfxTray Module (which will be the systray icon for the in-built graphics... windows loaded this, Ive put no driver disks near the machine at all)

persisitence Module

...this is an i7-3770 with 16GB of 1600Mhz Ram with a C drive SATA3 256GB Samsung SSD, so its not a slow machine.

November 19, 2012 12:02:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

What Ive now done is uninstall Fences to see what happens.

I get all my desktop Icons immediately and can the split second they appear doubleclick Photoshop and it loads like a rocket.

BUT... what I did was make a text file and drop it into the Start Folder... rebooting then, there is a similar delay until it runs this text file as there was for Fences.

Is there a way I can get fences to load at a much higher priority to everything else???

November 19, 2012 12:22:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting mark28967,
Is there a way I can get fences to load at a much higher priority to everything else???
Try using https://www.soluto.com/ to see what's taking so long.

November 19, 2012 3:14:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Okay, Ive run Soluto and tried another thing and it seems I have one thing thats taking 14.1 seconds to load which is the Windows Services Group SVCHOST

Should I be looking into this???

November 19, 2012 9:26:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah, it's slow.  I'm running Win 8 Pro x64 with a Samsung 840 SSD and lots of hard drives.  Takes twenty seconds to boot to a useable desktop without fences and 40 to 50 with fences.  I'm contemplating uninstalling it.

The reason Win 8 boots faster than Win 7 is that it delays program and service startup on a selective basis.  Well, it selects fences to go last.

Off the topic but Win 8 is Win 7 with a graphic start menu. And you don't boot directly to the desktop.

I've used fences for years and like it a lot.  But I don't know that I'll update for Win 8.

November 20, 2012 2:26:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting CapZap,
Yeah, it's slow.  I'm running Win 8 Pro x64 with a Samsung 840 SSD and lots of hard drives.  Takes twenty seconds to boot to a useable desktop without fences and 40 to 50 with fences.  I'm contemplating uninstalling it.

The reason Win 8 boots faster than Win 7 is that it delays program and service startup on a selective basis.  Well, it selects fences to go last.

Off the topic but Win 8 is Win 7 with a graphic start menu. And you don't boot directly to the desktop.

I've used fences for years and like it a lot.  But I don't know that I'll update for Win 8.

Sounds like you have almost the exact same setup as me & I get the exact same outcome as you are getting at start-up too.

If no fix comes soon Fences will just have to go. I'm not waiting for 40 + seconds for my desktop to load before I can use it!

November 20, 2012 2:44:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

@maqxaxe did you reach out to support? You have another thread indicating you are uninstalling Fences yet on this latest post you indicate:

Quoting maqxaxe,
If no fix comes soon Fences will just have to go
Which is it dude? Give support a chance...

November 28, 2012 5:30:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have a lightning fast system, and am experiencing the same issue on Windows 8 Pro x64.There is about a 7-10 second delay before fences loads with the icons. This is on a system that without fences, boots to the desktop in about 20 seconds.

The other user account on this machine has identical programs starting up, with the exception that it does not have fences enabled. It does not experience this problem.

November 28, 2012 6:03:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

did you guys open the taskmanager/autostart/and set the priority to high? just a suggestion...dont know if it will work since its loaded after bootup and should be up and running after you loged into your account.
havent tested fences on win8 yet but that would be the first i would try...sorry if this doesnt help
Edit: I dont know if its possible to insert Fences to the bootup sequence without breeaking any MS rules   but im sure if someone will answer that 

November 29, 2012 8:45:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

November 30, 2012 6:22:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I bought Fences this morning and noticed that the desktop icons were taking 15 seconds or so to display upon booting up my PC. While testing another issue with Start8 which required me to disable Windows Defender then reboot I noticed that the icons appeared instantly. It looks like this is yet another issue caused by Defender. As the devs managed to fix some of the issues with Start8 in v1.1 BETA I'm confident that they can also erradicate the other issues too in time.

December 2, 2012 12:30:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wizard, this is a legitimate complaint. Some users may experience 20 seconds while others my experience 2 minutes or longer. I'm experiencing this on three separate machines. Two laptops suffer from a significant delay, while my main machine only experiences this for about 15-20 seconds.

Your rant does nothing to this thread. It is not a "self entitlement" issue but a bug or some form of delay that Windows 8 itself is producing. What we need to figure out though is whether a user can correct this himself or is it something Stardock will need to address with an update to their product.

Right Clicking on the desktop immediately loads Fences and can skip this delay, but it is not ideal. Start 8 skips straight to the desktop, but the desktop is completely blank. It is an annoying issue and one that needs to be resolved, especially for people who have paid.

December 4, 2012 9:34:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

An e-mail sent to Stardock support a week ago has yet to be answered. Anyone else manage to get a response from Stardock?

December 5, 2012 6:09:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Roloccolor,

did you guys open the taskmanager/autostart/and set the priority to high?

December 5, 2012 11:51:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting B S,
An e-mail sent to Stardock support a week ago has yet to be answered. Anyone else manage to get a response from Stardock?
We're answering hundreds of tickets a day.  

What's your ticket ID and I'll take a look.

December 5, 2012 4:54:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Here's the funny thing about Windows 8: If you install Windows 7 and Windows 8 on identical hardware with identical software, and if you measure the bootup time by how long it takes for all background programs to load into memory, then more than likely you will not record a difference between the 2 OSes.

Allow me to explain:

Windows 8 boot process:
1) During the startup splash screen
     - Loads drivers
     - Loads the bare minimum for user login and a functional GUI (essential Windows services, ect.)
2) User login process
3) After user login:
     - Loads the rest of the services (svchost.exe) (given top priority)
     - Loads background programs set to run at startup (Fences, Skype, ect.)

Windows 7 boot process:
1) During the startup splash screen
     - Loads drivers
     - Loads every single Windows service specified to run at startup
2) User login process
3) After user login process
     - Loads background programs set to run at startup (Fences, Skype, ect.)

Windows 8 gives you the illusion that your computer fully started up faster, when all it did is prioritize the GUI showing up first and foremost.

This is exactly why mark28967 noticed that svchost.exe took 15 seconds before Fences had the opportunity to load.  Svchost.exe, btw, is a umbrella program that houses all the Windows services.

For users of Start8, you'll notice that the start button is immediately available when the desktop is loaded.  If you take a look at how the program actually starts up.....it has its own Windows service, if you take a look in services.msc.  More than likely Stardock was able to give Start8 priority over svchost.exe through the help of this service.  So in conclusion, I see only 2 ways to fix this:

1) Do to Fences as they did to Start8 (create a Windows service)
2) Find some sort of way to delay the execution of svchost.exe just enough to let Fences load first.

December 14, 2012 10:48:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

What's your ticket ID and I'll take a look.

Ticket ID #NZQ-277-71378. Thanks!

January 24, 2013 1:21:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Is anyone else having this problem? I have tested this on four different machines with varying configurations, and experienced this issue on EVERY single one. My support ticket is over a month old and continues to go unanswered.

January 29, 2013 2:27:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Oh yes. Got the same problem with this software. Win 8 x64. I will try do configure this as a service

January 30, 2013 4:37:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have this issue too.  Sometimes its up in about 15 seconds, sometimes its many minutes (same machine).  What I have noticed however, when I spot it didn't load if I right click the desktop (which I assume forces a refresh) bing! (pun intended) the fences and my icons appear.  Does anyone else see that?  It's acting like it's loaded by not displaying until forced.

Anyhow, it's a pain and I hope it will be fixed somehow.

February 14, 2013 1:06:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

A_Feest,

Ditto. Always starts blank and takes a right click to immediately show the fences. Also submitted a support ticket but no response yet.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000703   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.