Error on starting Stardock Central

Cannot use automatic updating

By on November 17, 2012 7:45:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

DRHodgson

Join Date 11/2012
+2

I've bought Start8 and Decor8 for Windows 8 Pro so I thought I'd download and install Stardock Central v2.8.5 to ensure that I always have the latest updates without having to check for them manually.

Sadly, I get an error message when I start the program:

Sorry, unable to setup automatic update checks. Please try again. If it fails again, you may run Stardock Central manually to retreive updates until this issue is resolved.

The error makes it sound like it is a known issue, perhaps a server problem, but I still added the program to my Windows Firewall Inbound and Outbound settings anyway but it makes no difference. As such I cannot set this program to run with Windows as I get that error every time.

How do I fix it please?

6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 17, 2012 8:22:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm not a Support person, but I haven't seen sdc among the list of currently updated apps for Windows 8... I could be wrong, though. I simply haven't chosen to go with W8. 

I believe this will work for you until sdc is made W8 compatible, but you'll be doing the updating manually for a while yet, I believe. I also don't know when sdc will be W8 compatible. Sorry if this info isn't exact, but I understand your frustration... You'll have to check version individually for each app.

https://store.stardock.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/myaccount/products

I'd suggest you email support@stardock.com . Don't answer the 'auto-reply'. Keep it as it will have your ticket number. Wait for an actual person to answer before you write again. Also realize that since it's the weekend, you will probably have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday until you do hear from a real person.

November 30, 2012 6:17:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I managed to fix this issue by setting the Startdock Central app to Run as Administrator and now it works fine with no more annoying error message on startup. As such I can now set it to startup with Windows as I intended. It might be useful for future updates if they were set to run in elevated mode.

February 23, 2013 6:18:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

How do you set it to run as admin?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 23, 2013 8:24:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedBuzzard,
How do you set it to run as admin?

Go to the Stardock Central folder and right click on the sdcentral.exe file and select Properties, then click on the Compatibility tab. Towards the bottom of the screen check the box to run as administrator, then click the OK button to close the window. Reboot your PC.

February 23, 2013 10:05:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I haven't had any trouble running SDC on 8, but YMMV.

February 24, 2013 11:36:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Figured out my problem. I had Task Scheduler set to manual. Turn it to automatic and now no problems

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.