IE 10 for Windows 7 Release Preview is Available in x32 and x64.

By on November 14, 2012 8:58:34 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2155

The first of MS’s IE10 Previews for W7 has arrived and is available for download here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-10/worldwide-languages

I’m doing the x64 download, and I’ll keep you updated with impressions and screenshots as we go along.

First impression is that the installation is taking a long time because of the “Language Package”. I don’t like the idea that disc space is being wasted on languages over which I should have choice whether to install or not. I seem to remember that option sometime in the past with IE.

Some screenies:

First glance at IE 10. Installation required a reboot to configure your system.

You’ll notice the “blue line” with “Noir 7” (below). This was not present in other UIS2 skins like vStyler’s, Stardock Design’s and Mike Bryant’s (Sirus). I believe this is probably a matter of skin settings (but I’m no authority on this).

When viewing WC Forums, a problem appeared using the “default” view:

Which was easily fixed using the “Compatibility View” (left pane).

IE 10 when combined with Windows 8 supposedly has protection against 99% of malware (per Microsoft). It is unclear whether this holds true with IE 10 for Windows 7.

Another “plus” is that IE 10 comes with “Do Not Track” for your privacy, and add on management (use the cog wheel at the right end of the tab bar). DNT lists are available here:  http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/trackingprotectionlists  As well as many other extensions, etc.

Please remember, this is only an overview and there are features, etc. which I haven’t discovered yet.

I will say that it’s a speedy browser. Very fast indeed. Microsoft has not repeated the error it made with the x64 Java engine in IE9. This isn’t your grandpa’s IE at all.

Also, this is just a preview release of IE 10 for Windows 7: Not the RTM.

I’ll be giving you a follow up though, as things move along.

To uninstall IE10 Preview:

http://techdows.com/2011/04/uninstall-ie10-platform-preview.html

46 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 14, 2012 9:28:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks Doc. I for one do use IE most of the time and will be looking forward to future information. You posted this at 8:58. Any additional information yet.

November 14, 2012 10:04:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

*[insert sound of Ps revving up here]

November 14, 2012 10:04:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just installed and tested it out. Even in compatibility view though the thumbnail images on the front page of WC for the latest skins double up vertically for some reason (duplicate image under the other).  Oh well, back to FF!

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 14, 2012 10:12:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not for me, Tom.... Working just great.

November 14, 2012 11:18:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,

Another “plus” is that IE 10 comes with “Do Not Track” for your privacy, and add on management (use the cog wheel at the right end of the tab bar). DNT lists are available here:  http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/trackingprotectionlists  As well as many other extensions, etc.

Tracking Protection Lists were added in IE9, and have nothng to do with the Do Not Track feature.

I very much like that if my net is glitching/down and a page won't load then the connection comes back IE is now aware of it and refreshes the page automatically.  It's a simple thing...but no one else does it that I'm aware of.

I uninstalled Chrome.

November 14, 2012 11:34:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Savyg,
Tracking Protection Lists were added in IE9, and have nothng to do with the Do Not Track feature.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/05/ie10-do-not-track/

November 14, 2012 11:53:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/05/ie10-do-not-track/

Nothing that article says disagrees with me. 

November 14, 2012 12:06:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I also installed ie10 x64 and it works fine.

November 14, 2012 1:15:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So much better than 9.  9 certainly got slow compared to the other browsers, but even if you can ignore that it glitched a lot for me.  That's the other thing I loved about Chrome: it usually worked flawlessly.

November 14, 2012 5:52:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm surprised people still use IE. Chrome and Firefox have so many more features. Ad Block for example.

November 14, 2012 7:08:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kona0197,
I'm surprised people still use IE. Chrome and Firefox have so many more features. Ad Block for example.

I didn't, until 10.

November 14, 2012 8:05:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well call me when IE has all the custom extensions that Firefox has. Then I'll be impressed.

November 14, 2012 8:35:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,
custom extensions
custom bloat. I can hang a load of "custom" crap on my car too, but it won't make it any faster or safer.

Firefox....The browser that is sooo good, it needs an almost daily update to it and a new version seemingly every week. I gave the memory leaking/ munching hog a try a few times since Version 3. It was gone  each time by the end of the day.

If IE9 would install on XP , I would use it on every machine in the house. It won't though so I finally had to resort to Chrome on my XP rigs(which must remain XP) I must admit that IE8 has long outlived it's usefulness, but then, so has XP on everything that will run a more modern OS. 

November 14, 2012 9:05:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

People care about apps using too much memory in this day of machines having 4 or more GB of RAM? PLEASE spare me the details. You're just splitting hairs. I'll gladly take more "bloat" as you call it if it means I don't see ANY ads or things on a site that I want blocked. And that's just ONE of the nifty extensions I use that IE does not have. As if it matters, Chrome has the biggest market share when it comes to browsers.

November 14, 2012 9:11:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

IE9 would be my preference, and I have used them all.  

BTW, do you have a speedy rig now? 

November 14, 2012 9:17:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Gateway Laptop. 512 MBs RAM 

EMachines t3104 now in a custom case. 1.5 GB's RAM  I spend the majority of my time on this unit. It is also our Media Center.

Both run XP. My 7 rig is off most of the time because quite frankly, I can't afford to have it break or wear out anything right now. I only use it when I have to.

Believe it or not, you are not the only broke person in the world who cannot afford an upgrade or newer machines.

November 14, 2012 9:34:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
BTW, do you have a speedy rig now?

It's better than it was thanks to you and Starkers. Still takes awhile to boot but all the apps run without any issues and I can play music without the music constantly starting and stopping. Web page loads are much faster. And I am able to play my games.

Thanks a bunch!

November 14, 2012 9:59:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,
People care about apps using too much memory in this day of machines having 4 or more GB of RAM? PLEASE spare me the details.

Strange....I could have sworn one of those was you....

November 14, 2012 10:21:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well it was. I got some help from some great people here and it's fixed. Thanks!

November 14, 2012 10:34:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So some of you are actually using IE10 without a problem/ sorry but I happen to like IE and 9 hasn't slowed up for me yet and have been using it on this computer since it came out. I always say what works best for each is the one you should use.

November 14, 2012 10:35:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,
Quoting RedneckDude, reply 16BTW, do you have a speedy rig now?

It's better than it was thanks to you and Starkers. Still takes awhile to boot but all the apps run without any issues and I can play music without the music constantly starting and stopping. Web page loads are much faster. And I am able to play my games.

Thanks a bunch!
You're welcome.....we do what we can.   

November 14, 2012 11:00:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

kona:

This thread is and was about IE 10. Since you don't want IE 10 and aren't interested in getting it, you really have no reason to continue on it, right?

November 15, 2012 1:50:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

... the do not track thing from IE.... basically doesn't really do anything. advertisers can just ignore it. your browser tells everyone not to track and it's up to the advertisers to decide whether they care... there's no standard as yet, so it's not like they can't selectively ignore MS's dnt but obey dnt from the other browsers.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/26/yahoo_to_ignore_ie10_do_not_track/

November 15, 2012 2:56:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting alaknebs,
... the do not track thing from IE.... basically doesn't really do anything. advertisers can just ignore it. your browser tells everyone not to track and it's up to the advertisers to decide whether they care... there's no standard as yet, so it's not like they can't selectively ignore MS's dnt but obey dnt from the other browsers.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/26/yahoo_to_ignore_ie10_do_not_track/

That's just proof more people should ditch Yahoo.

'We don't care what you want, we're going to do what we feel like doing' is not exactly a winning endorsement.

That they had the gall to say it to our face, though.  If it wasn't Yahoo, I wouldn't believe it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000469   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.