Rendering errors after Windows Update

By on November 14, 2012 12:35:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

1/4 Life

Join Date 09/2007

Today, after restarting for a rather large set of updates, WindowFX started having some odd issues. With Wobbly Windows enabled, the titlebars of all dragged windows have become darker, and they flicker between that and the content-less window below.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? Reinstalling WindowFX did not fix it. I'm using WindowFX 5.1 on Windows 7 SP1.

26 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 14, 2012 6:33:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't think this has anything to do with any updates as I just updated here and WindowFX continues to work just fine.

Did you perhaps change your video drivers or video driver settings?

November 14, 2012 1:33:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I did, but it was quite some time ago. I'm using ATI's 11.12 Beta 7 drivers, which actually corrected some issues for this guy.

I'll downgrade to the last stable build and see what happens.

November 14, 2012 3:26:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

No change.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 14, 2012 3:43:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Any new software installed recently?

November 14, 2012 6:16:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The only one I can think of that'd bother it is Dexpot, but even with that disabled the problem persists. It occurred quite some time after I installed that as well.

November 15, 2012 7:18:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The flickering appears to also affect previews in Flip 3D/Alt+Tab, and Stardock Tiles. It only flickers when a window is being manipulated by WindowFX (Either via animations, or via wobbly windows).

Disabling WindowFX removes all issues.

November 15, 2012 7:23:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Unless we get more reports of this it sounds like it is something that changed on your system that is causing the problem rather than a WindowFX issue.

Obviously you should make sure you upgrade to WFX 5.1 release which came out on Wednesday.

November 15, 2012 7:57:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Have you tried reinstalling your graphics drivers?

November 15, 2012 2:06:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm running 5.10 right now, same issues.

And yeah, I did 3 complete re-installs to 3 different versions and it's the same issues on all of them, it's definitely not driver related.

November 15, 2012 10:46:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

so I got this same issue, right after I had installed that new Internet Explorer 10 preview for windows 7, I noticed that when I open up a window it starts out with a dark fade, and also when I use the "wobble" effect, it just shows the boarders of the window.

November 15, 2012 10:54:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you believe IE 10 for W7 is the cause, uninstall it. Instructions here: http://forums.wincustomize.com/436640

November 16, 2012 1:35:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I actually installed IE10! I'll give that a try as well and report back if it works.

November 16, 2012 6:09:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I cannot see why an IE update should impact WindowFX as WindowFX is happy on Windows 8 with IE10, but never put it past Microsoft to be changing core OS features to suit their browser.

November 16, 2012 6:34:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
never put it past Microsoft to be changing core OS features to suit their browser.

Indeed. I'm seeing Fences 2.01 malfunction (hopoefully fixed) after the patch Tuesday updates and IE10 for W7 installation.

November 16, 2012 6:38:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Quoting Neil Banfield, reply 13never put it past Microsoft to be changing core OS features to suit their browser.

Indeed. I'm seeing Fences 2.01 malfunction (hopoefully fixed) after the patch Tuesday updates and IE10 for W7 installation.

Whats happening with Fences?

November 16, 2012 2:13:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Still occurs after an IE10 uninstall. Probably doesn't remove every change it made?

Tested it on another Win7 machine; WindowFX works fine until IE10 is installed. After restarting all of these issues immediately start in.

November 16, 2012 2:54:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You may solve this by also uninstalling, removing KB2670838. Other users have experienced problems with Aero after installing this update: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10_rp-windows_7/installed-ie-10-on-win-7-lost-transparency/6f1cd70c-df86-4ca8-b28e-b2deb619a5b1

It certainly is worth a shot for you. I no longer have FX but did experience other rendering problems with fonts and desktop after applying the updates and uninstalling this one fixed it for me.

November 16, 2012 3:14:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Quoting DrJBHL,
reply 15
Quoting Neil Banfield, reply 13never put it past Microsoft to be changing core OS features to suit their browser.

Whats happening with Fences?

1. On one computer (W7x64 HP) had issue with aero... reactivated through services. Error message from Fences: Folder portal will not work w/o Aero."

2. On other computer (W7x64 HP) got a desktop with icons as if in Fences w/o the actual Fences and a second set of icons partially superimposed on them. On single left or right click all would disappear for approx. 3 sec. then reappear. Uninstalled Fences, rebooted and reinstalled (kept settings). Problem solved.

Frankief's link and solution noted - thanks, Frankie. Haven't uninstalled KB2670838, but have uninstalled IE10 for W7 Platform Preview through the method outlined in my post on IE 10.

November 16, 2012 3:38:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This article describes a platform update for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This update improves the features and performance of the following components:

• Direct2D
  • DirectWrite
  • Direct3D
  • Windows Imaging Component (WIC)
  • Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform (WARP)
  • Windows Animation Manager (WAM)
  • XPS Document API
  • H.264 Video Decoder
  • JPEG XR codec
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838
  • Sorry, should have included this in my post as it kind of explains why this update might break certain display objects. I found it late last night and took me a while to find all of the info again today! Hope this helps. From what I read, uninstalling IE10 does not necessarily remove this part of the update.
November 16, 2012 6:27:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am pleased to say we were able to reproduce this after installing the IE10 beta and hopefully it is solved for a build to be pushed out next week.

Personally I would recommend against the installation of the IE10 beta before then (and quite possibly after given the reported Aero issues).

November 16, 2012 7:48:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
Personally I would recommend against the installation of the IE10 beta before then (and quite possibly after given the reported Aero issues).

Neil, for me your recommendations are gold. I've uninstalled IE 10 from both my computers and am quite happy using Chrome.

November 17, 2012 3:12:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Removing that update solved the issue. Thanks much for the help guys! Great support from everyone all-around. Keep up the good work.

It actually seems to have solved some issues outside of WindowFX as well. I was getting strange framerate drops in DWM before it's removal.

November 17, 2012 1:21:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Happy to hear the information helped solve your problem!

November 21, 2012 8:21:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If you reinstall WindowFX now you should find it is happy again with that IE10 update.

November 21, 2012 8:49:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
If you reinstall WindowFX now you should find it is happy again with that IE10 update.

TBNT.... once burnt...

Thanks so much for your help, Neil.  It's much appreciated.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000969   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.