Disney Buys LucasFilm, Announces Episode 7

By on October 30, 2012 4:40:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums External Link

zigzag

Join Date 10/2001
+21

As the title says, Disney will purchase LucasFilm and release "Star Wars: Episode 7" in 2015. George Lucas has finally called it quits. I'll be interesting to see where the new film falls in the timeline. As a Star Wars fan, I hope that the new film will revitalize the brand in the same way that the remakes and Episodes 1-3 did. What're everyone else's thoughts on this?

104 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 30, 2012 4:47:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmm, well, my initial thought were "God, now Star Wars is really going to suck".  But then I thought about it, when Disney bought Marvel, I thought that, and I have loved the Marvel movies since then, and I really didn't care for the last three movies, so it's not like they really have to preserve a legacy, it's already been tarnished.  If this is on the up and up, that is.

October 30, 2012 5:16:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Unless and until Disney announces a timeframe that won't involve child apprentices on Yavin IV or adorable furry aliens running around, I'm just not caring.

October 30, 2012 5:18:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm reading a lot of contradictory information between big-name news organizations like USA Today, Reuters, etc.  Some state Lucas is selling the company and franchise after Episode VII, others say its been sold and from that, Disney is making VII.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 30, 2012 5:29:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would like to see the new generation fight that massive alien invasion that has been traveling since the old republic. Or really an old republic movie would be nice too. Kind of nice that Luke will legitimately look older when he runs the academy. This could get really cool.

October 30, 2012 5:58:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Hmm, well, my initial thought were "God, now Star Wars is really going to suck". But then I thought about it,

....Star Wars always sucked....

October 30, 2012 5:58:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Finally, Jar-Jar can be replaced with Goofy.

October 30, 2012 6:03:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
Finally, Jar-Jar can be replaced with Goofy.

LOL ....that'll work...

October 30, 2012 6:11:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm alarmed if it's actually an episode 7, being set after episode 6. The lore of Star Wars is already very well established up to 3 or 4 decades after Episode 6. If they're going to rewrite all of that I have no interest in this, and will pretend it doesn't exist. If it's substantially farther in the future or earlier than Episode 1 I'll take a wait and see approach.

October 30, 2012 6:51:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The EU is mostly crap, rewrite away.

October 30, 2012 6:56:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Maybe Luke will go back in time and cause an alternate reality?

October 30, 2012 7:19:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting seanw3,

October 30, 2012 7:20:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting seanw3,

If he does...can he get Lucas to take up knitting instead?

October 30, 2012 7:32:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

Agreed. They should start with Legacy and work their way backwards.

October 30, 2012 7:38:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

With the New Jedi order it gets debatable and well after it that's a certainty. But much of the best Star Wars material period is between Episode 6 and New Jedi Order IMO, and that's not an uncommon opinion. At the least they'll need to tread very carefully if they want to make movies in that time period, not the least due to the fact that the characters from the Original trilogy are mostly still around.

October 30, 2012 8:08:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
With the New Jedi order it gets debatable and well after it that's a certainty. But much of the best Star Wars material period is between Episode 6 and New Jedi Order IMO, and that's not an uncommon opinion. At the least they'll need to tread very carefully if they want to make movies in that time period, not the least due to the fact that the characters from the Original trilogy are mostly still around.

My guess is that any new films will take place in an original setting, but one that's very similar to the original trilogy (as with The Old Republic). The Star Wars industry has too much invested in the current timeline to rewrite it.

As for the quality of the fiction, none of it is particularly good, but everything written in the past fifteen years or so has been awful. Unfortunately, this has negatively affected the earlier, less-awful spinoffs. At this point, I don't really care what they do, as long as it's entertaining. And includes lightsabers.

October 30, 2012 8:16:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting zigzag,
I don't really care what they do, as long as it's entertaining. And includes lightsabers.

A quote from Disney methinks.

October 30, 2012 10:38:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

They are buying it to get some $$$. Story doesn't matter to them. Franchise name will bring them $$$ and that is all that they care about.

October 30, 2012 11:13:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Greg30007,
They are buying it to get some $$$. Story doesn't matter to them. Franchise name will bring them $$$ and that is all that they care about.

Yeh, my thought exactly. They will throw stuff together and publishing it knowing that even if 1/10 of the people come they will make a lot of bucks. They got the goodies to make a lot of neat substance, but will they use it? Lights and Magic (was that the right company?) is more than just Lucas, it is many, many artists and talent. Are they moving to Disney? Or did Disney just buy the name and intellectual material? If they did buy the payroll, how many will stay? Lucas had the dreams, but it was his people who made it work.

October 30, 2012 11:23:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LizMarr,
Lucas had the dreams,

His dreams were all about kids' merchandising.  One wonders if he has also sold those 'rights'......that's where he made his money....all the movies were were 'animated ads' [movies] for toys for kids.

October 30, 2012 11:31:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They need to make the movies in the Knights of the Old Republic story. I want to see Revan and Malak on the big screen. 

October 30, 2012 11:36:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting LizMarr,
Yeh, my thought exactly. They will throw stuff together and publishing it knowing that even if 1/10 of the people come they will make a lot of bucks. They got the goodies to make a lot of neat substance, but will they use it? Lights and Magic (was that the right company?) is more than just Lucas, it is many, many artists and talent. Are they moving to Disney? Or did Disney just buy the name and intellectual material? If they did buy the payroll, how many will stay? Lucas had the dreams, but it was his people who made it work.

They bought it all. I have also heard rumors that Episode 7 was planned before the Disney purchase. I'd guess is that they're going to try what they did with Marvel and mostly just leave it alone while giving it more access to money.

October 30, 2012 11:51:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
I have also heard rumors that Episode 7 was planned before the Disney purchase.

There was always going to be 9 .... until Lucas got bored with it all [after the first one]...

October 31, 2012 12:07:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

From what I hear, it's possible the new trilogy will go into the Vong era.

October 31, 2012 12:20:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

God, I hope they start from scratch and say fuck all those poorly written books.

October 31, 2012 1:51:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have a leaked draft of the story line for episode seven.  I can't say where I got it from for obvious reason but some of you aren't the only ones unhappy with the Lucas sell-out so it got "shared" with me by someone with like feelings who is connected.

I can't post it for copyright reasons and to protect the confidential source but here it is in a nutshell.

Disney execs were looking for sequels to pour money in to get a guaranteed blockbuster mat the box office.  Star Wars and Lucas were one source but they wanted to add as many cross-overs from other big hits in the genre as they could to guarantee ticket sales.

The three movies Disney selected that they wanted elements of in their film after Lucas' acquisition were the following...

Star Wars

The Matrix

Lord of the Rings

A lot of behind the scenes deals and profit sharing have been in the works on this with three studios--all under NDAs.

The new movie will be set after the final Matrix trilogy and the final Star Wars episode.  It will be set in the Matrix universe after Neo brokers his deal with the machines--but then Agent Smith resurrects and begins the dram/story for the planned film.

In the Matrix universe, Agent Smith is able to reassemble his self/code but is a rogue program.  He basically is lurking in the Matrix much like the rebels from Zion were.   Humans and machines are "giving each other a chance" and he is powerless to take them on alone.

As humans become more accepted, their stories and ideas and legends from the past become more and more incorporated into the Matrix world.  Because machines and humans are cooperating, they are able to create new "fantastic" realities--like Neo did but even larger.

Agent Smith is trying to find some way to use these concepts and discovers a film archive in the machines human records. Three of the films he finds are Star  Wars, The Lord of the Rings and The Matrix.  It is in viewing the last two that he realizes he is the machine version of Neo--he has been in their literature all along just as Neo popped up ever generation in the Matrix.

Agent Smith subtly introduces Star Wars into the reality of the Matrix.  People accept Jedi, Sith and the Empire as real.  He simultaneously creates a new Middle Earth on the island of Australia and opens it to humanity--the two worlds merge.

At that point, like Neo, he "steps into his own" (like Neo did) and takes the role of the Sith emperor and Sauron.  Weilding the power of the Dark side of the Force along with the One Ring, Agent Smith becomes unstoppable.

Neo realizes their only hope is to "become" the Jedi and the "Fellowship of the Ring" in order to stop Smith.

Carrie Fischer returns as an older and wiser Princess (now Queen and a master Jedi) Leia and is recruited by Neo.  Morpheus travels to Middle earth and assembles a fellowship of both gifted humans and programs working together to take the Ring from Smith while Neo and the new Jedis counter his Sith powers.

The film leads up to an epic climax where they fate of all machines and humanity is decided finally.

It is tentatively titled "Star Wars: Episode VII...Return of the Smith".

Hope that's helpful.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000469   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.