Concerned About Buying Object Desktop (Subscription)

Has Object Desktop Been Updated To Work/Take Advantage Of Windows 8?

By on October 30, 2012 1:58:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Mimiest

Join Date 07/2011
+5

Hello all!!!

I am really considering buying the Object Desktop subscription however one thing that concerns me is while reading the details it talks a lot about Windows 7, Vista, etc. with no mention of Windows 8 (other than Start8).

As I am sure you are all aware there have been vast changes with Windows 8 and I am concerned about Object Desktops ability to "function" with this new Operating System. Also, there might be a new version of Object Desktop in the works for Windows 8 and I don't want to buy prematurely. 

I have a couple questions,

1. If I buy the Object Desktop subscription now and they release a completely new version for Windows 8 will I be able to download that version?

2. In general, how does the current version of Object Desktop work with Windows 8?

3. Should I wait?

Thank you!

M

28 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 30, 2012 7:51:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As long as your subscription is active (purchased for 1 year at a time) you get all updates and new software during that period.

Object Desktop is just a collection of apps.  Some are compatible with Windows 8 now, and others are being updated.

Fences, WindowFX, Start8, Tiles work with Win8 now.  

November 12, 2012 8:54:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Don't buy it. I have found some horrible bugs that I looked up in other old posts and they don't seem to be getting fixed. The Theme Manager doesn't work for me (Win 7 64 bit). If I download a suite, it just applies the theme (windowblinds) and the objects (DestopX). But so far, there's script error in one of the objects meter_back3 in every object suite. It doesn't apply the wallpaper, the cursors, the icon package. and tells me CursorFX is not installed when it is. Waste of money. Fences works and I like it. I wish I had a stupid hack tool like for Win XP to allow 3rd party themes. Since you have to download and install the pieces yourself, there's no point to purchasing the Object Desktop.

Ron Welch (dissatisfied customer)

Oh... I almost forgot... I have to disable the cursors to play my games too. I read that they don't work in some other applications too.

November 12, 2012 10:13:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ronwelch,
Ron Welch (dissatisfied customer)

I don't see any support tickets with this email.  That might have resolved some of your issues . . but perhaps not.

Theme manger may have some issues, but everything it does can be done with the native apps.  It's a nice bonus, but not required.

Cursors work with standard Windows apps.  If a game does something different . . that's as much the game's fault as CursorFX.

There are enough really great apps and skins designed by the community to make it worth your while if customizing your desktop is something you want. The community is here to help.

Lastly, if you are unhappy with your purchase, contact support.  If something is broken and we can't fix it . . you get a refund.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 12, 2012 11:41:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ronwelch,
there's script error in one of the objects meter_back3

This would be a DesktopX script error that happens on some PCs. I do not know why, but I don't see it, and neither do my testers.

November 12, 2012 11:46:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

cookmv ....hi...

Please ignore the comment by 'ronwelch' as it is essentially meaningless.

One would reasonably imagine that a customer/user who has been a member here for 9 years would offer a wealth of experience and feedback, but this time you'd be mistaken.

At no time has this 9-year member opened a thread for assistance/support for his 'dissatisfaction' nor for that matter has there even been a posted comment on anyone else's threads.  This is the very first interaction with the Forums, any of the Forums [there are several - interlinked].

Now, I don't have any issues with Theme Manager...as I don't use it....don't think I ever have....because there is no need to.  All the applications function in their own right.

Object Desktop is a unified Subscription system that is simply the most economical method of purchasing most of what really counts in Stardock's software selection....and being a subscription [yearly] means any/all the programs can be maintained current and up-to-date...

November 13, 2012 2:10:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Since the thread initially regarded Object Desktop and then wandered a bit (to Object Desktop and CursorFX) I feel it might be best to clarify that CursorFX is not included with the Object Desktop subscription.  List of included apps is here:

http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/information.asp

November 18, 2012 9:04:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,
cookmv ....hi...

Please ignore the comment by 'ronwelch' as it is essentially meaningless.

One would reasonably imagine that a customer/user who has been a member here for 9 years would offer a wealth of experience and feedback, but this time you'd be mistaken.

At no time has this 9-year member opened a thread for assistance/support for his 'dissatisfaction' nor for that matter has there even been a posted comment on anyone else's threads.  This is the very first interaction with the Forums, any of the Forums [there are several - interlinked].

Now, I don't have any issues with Theme Manager...as I don't use it....don't think I ever have....because there is no need to.  All the applications function in their own right.

Object Desktop is a unified Subscription system that is simply the most economical method of purchasing most of what really counts in Stardock's software selection....and being a subscription [yearly] means any/all the programs can be maintained current and up-to-date...

Honestly I don't think I could ever be dissatisfied with a Stardock product. Your stuff is just too cool! And even if there was a bug in one of your releases I would just wait until you fixed it and made a patch available. You guys rock!

November 18, 2012 9:39:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting cookmv,
Honestly I don't think I could ever be dissatisfied with a Stardock product. Your stuff is just too cool! And even if there was a bug in one of your releases I would just wait until you fixed it and made a patch available. You guys rock!

Thanks for the positive endorsement...

November 18, 2012 10:13:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Dear CookMV,

You can buy it now.  As stated above, Fences, WindowFX, Start8, Tiles work with Win8 now. If you installed a component that doesn't completely work with Windows 8, you can be reassured that as soon as the update is created to make that component 100% Win8 compatible, you will get it for free if you've already purchased an Object Desktop subscription.

When you buy the Object Desktop package, you get a lot of component programs that would cost more if you bought them separately.  Alternatively, if you only want to buy the ones that are currently 100% Win8 compatible, you can do that, too.  That's one of the things I love about Stardock - versatility.

Personally, I've been a Stardock/Wincustomize client since 2005 and I have Object Desktop and ObjectDock Plus v2, and I love them.

There is no need to wait, if you don't want to.  It's totally up to you.

December 3, 2012 2:15:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

complaint removed.  Thank you Zubaz

December 3, 2012 3:12:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting wobbles,
Their system lost my "active" account email login clear back on Nov 9th and these wonders of the tech world can't seem to get it turned on again.

Doing a cursory look, I see three email addresses for you.  It looks like you've transferred products between them too. 

Can you post your support ticket so I can see what's been done so far to resolve your issue?

December 3, 2012 4:03:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I see that DesktopX isn't listed in Object desktop.  Has it been dropped? Or did I just miss seeing it? 
December 3, 2012 4:23:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Murex,
I see that DesktopX isn't listed in Object desktop.  Has it been dropped? Or did I just miss seeing it? 

December 3, 2012 4:53:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Murex,

https://store.stardock.com/product/ESD-SDS-W011 You can see it here, Murex.

Or, you can see Hanker's reply.

December 3, 2012 5:43:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting Murex, reply 12I see that DesktopX isn't listed in Object desktop.  Has it been dropped? Or did I just miss seeing it? 

https://store.stardock.com/product/ESD-SDS-W011 You can see it here, Murex.

Or, you can see Hanker's reply.

Thank you Hankers and Wizard..  I didn't see it in the small print..  My eyes are not what they used to be..

December 4, 2012 5:00:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

Quoting wobbles, reply 11Their system lost my "active" account email login clear back on Nov 9th and these wonders of the tech world can't seem to get it turned on again.

Doing a cursory look, I see three email addresses for you.  It looks like you've transferred products between them too. 

Can you post your support ticket so I can see what's been done so far to resolve your issue?

Ticket: #UWH-905-27078

December 4, 2012 9:17:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting wobbles,
Ticket: #UWH-905-27078
Hello.  It looks like you set the status to "escalated" which took it out of the working queue.  Please try again with the tech account.

September 5, 2013 7:13:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi,   I am wondering how much it would be to keep the yearly subscription going.  I know the first deal is $49.99 but how much after that is it? 

THANKS, 

Kathryn.

September 5, 2013 7:51:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

At the moment it's $24.99

September 5, 2013 8:03:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You can see all the information about Object Desktop here.

September 5, 2013 10:16:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

YES, learned this after I just purchased it!  So far so good! I have to learn now about it all.  Lots of stuff.  That isn't to bad of a price.  If I don't subscribe when my year ends, this does not mean I will lose what I have correct? Thanks. 

September 5, 2013 10:17:26 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks Island Dog that is a great link and helpful.  Greatly appreciated. 

September 5, 2013 10:23:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ronwelch,
Fences works and I like it. I wish I had a stupid hack tool like for Win XP to allow 3rd party themes.

Have you searched rightly,it does has one tool made this happened. Yes,I am talking about Win7. However,Windowblinds has brought lots of variabilities that MS style doesn't.  Besides,there is no chance you would get support once that tool broke your system. 

September 5, 2013 11:18:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Nireen000,
If I don't subscribe when my year ends, this does not mean I will lose what I have correct?

You will not lose what you have purchased, but always archive your purchased apps. If you use Stardock Central, it will do this for you automatically.

This way, it's easier to reinstall later in case of system failure or something causes you to do a reformat/reinstall. If you don't have a current subscription.

Archiving can also be very helpful in a case where an app is sunsetted, made unavailable. If you archive, you'll always have access to your apps.

I also made a screenshot and a pdf of my Stardock store account so that I'll always have all my serial keys.

September 11, 2013 7:23:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sigh! HAVING ALOT OF ISSUES WITH THE SOFTWARE AND MY WINDOWS 8.  IS IT JUST ME OR? I REALLY WANT TO BE ABLE TO USE AT LEAST SOME OF THE SOFTWARE LIKE THE WINDOWS BLINDS BUT SEEMS I AM HAVING ISSUES WITH THEMES ICON PACKAGER ETC.  WHAT CAN I DO?  HOW DO I KNOW IF THE SOFTWARE IS COMPATIBLE OR NOT WITH MY WINDOWS 8? HELP PLEASE? 

THANKS, KATHRYN.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000782   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.