WindowsBlinds-Skinstudio- Incompatibility issue with "Glass CMD for Vista and Seven"

Something wrong with all skins from one skin developer

By on October 27, 2012 8:53:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums External Link

MKANET

Join Date 07/2007
+9

Im sure there may be several of you who are in to desktop customization may be using Glass CMD for Vista and Seven featured on deviantART.

It's just my luck that the only skins I'm interested from"007tinar" (for whatever reason) all cause this "Glass CMD" mod to display incorrectly (seen below):

It looks like this (with the weird transparent borders that shouldnt be there):

Instead of looking like this:

I was hoping a very friendly person who understand SkinStudio very well, knows what elements are causing those weird transparent borders, so I can correct the problem myself.  This is extremely easy to reproduce; so, anyone with WindowsBlinds can recreate the bugs within a couple of minutes (including the time it takes to download GlassCMD and any of the skins from 007Tinar.  GlassCMD is a tiny executable that doesnt take up any CPU resources very little memory.  I tried notifying the skin developer a couple of different way, but the "no response" suggests he may not be interested in fixing the problem his skins cause.  Hopefully, there's something easy I can fix for at least the skin(s); and, doesnt requiring actually editing images.

Thanks for anyone brave enough to help me out.  Id be even willing to donate via paypal for anyone who wants to take the time help me out.

7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 27, 2012 9:50:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

PS:  I tried to specify in WindowsBlinds to use a different skin for cmd.exe; but for some reason, Windowsblinds doesnt detect cmd.exe.  I'm guessing it's because the Win764 system32\cmd.exe may cause Windowsblinds to look for the wrong cmd.exe.  Anyone know which cmd.exe to specify for Windowsblinds to identify the correct cmd.exe process in it's "per application" settings?

October 27, 2012 10:31:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Apparently, this bug is caused by any skin that uses per-pixel Window frames.  It's not limited to just the skins from this one developer.  All the skins this skin developer creates uses "Per Pixel" in order to get the look he wants (I guess).  If I forcably disable per-pixel elements in my skins, it prevents the weird transparent borders from showing in my GlassCMD-enhanced command prompts.  However, it breaks my skin; causing it to look wrong:

This is the way it's supposed to look (with per pixel frames)...

So, what kind of problem is this?  Is it a per-pixel skin bug in WindowsBlinds; which is only exposed only in GlassCMD?  Or, is this something that can be prevented with a setting change?  I honestly don't care either way, as long as there's a way for me to fix this.  I would be very grateful for someone who could please help me to display GlassCMD with per-pixel skins (presuming its not a WindowsBlinds per-pixel bug).

EDIT:  I spend a good amount of time in Skinstudio under the Per-Pixel frames section.  The images used for per-pixel frames looked absolutely fine.  I didn't see any settings that prevented that weird per-pixel frame side effect in GlassCMD.  This is starting to look more and more like a per-pixel bug in WindowsBlinds.  I don't know why, but I have this gut feeling if this is really a bug with WindowsBlinds, it wont get fixed anytime soon.  Hopefully, someone much more experienced than me can confirm this.  Hopefully, there may be way around this to allow per pixel frames to work correctly for a Aero glass enhanced command prompt.

October 28, 2012 8:49:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Are you just wanting to apply transparency to the Command Prompt windows only like the program GlassCMD is designed to do, or do you use transparency all over in your UI?  Because Windowblinds has the ability to apply transparency to not only frames if you so desire, but to even to most of the UI. Plus, it can apply transparency to UIS2 or per pixel frames. So you may not even need GlassCMD.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 29, 2012 8:57:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think I have a transparent cmd replacement that doesn't use/need WB at all.

.....somewhere...if I can find it...

October 30, 2012 10:45:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm trying to apply aero transparency to the Windows command prompt; exactlu as GlassCMD does.  I'm not interested in changing anything else.

Quoting LightStar,
Are you just wanting to apply transparency to the Command Prompt windows only like the program GlassCMD is designed to do, or do you use transparency all over in your UI?  Because Windowblinds has the ability to apply transparency to not only frames if you so desire, but to even to most of the UI. Plus, it can apply transparency to UIS2 or per pixel frames. So you may not even need GlassCMD.

October 30, 2012 10:48:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

There are plenty of CMD replacements.  I'm not interested in any of those since all the onces I've found require too much change to the OS to get them to act exactly as cmd.exe; plus, none of them have the aero "blur" transparency look.

Quoting Jafo,
I think I have a transparent cmd replacement that doesn't use/need WB at all.

.....somewhere...if I can find it...

October 30, 2012 10:51:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Which leaves me to still needing help to determine if this is a per-pixel Windows Blinds bug (exposed by GlassCMD) or something that can be corrected in all per-pixel skins.  This is very easy to reproduce; almost near the time it takes to create a post.  I would open up a support ticket to confirm if this is a bug or not; but, would prefer if someone could look at this with a second pair of eyes before submitting a support ticket.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.