MS-Surface RT Starting $500

By on October 16, 2012 1:50:18 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

LORD-ORION

Join Date 04/2009
+51

Wait! And what's that? you don't even get the cover for that price?

Total fail...

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 16, 2012 2:14:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Massive fail, indeed.

599 is too much for me, and I really wanted one. :/

Add the Danish killer taxes and it'll end up at the wrong side of 700.

October 16, 2012 4:41:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

probably less than 700, else all the Danish would buy in Germany. these are the prizes for Germany: 

32 GB Microsoft Surface without Touch Cover: 479 Euro

32 GB Microsoft Surface with Touch Cover: 579 Euro

64 GB Microsoft Surface with Touch Cover: 679 Euro

i thought you wanted the Surface Pro though?

October 16, 2012 5:37:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting moshi,
probably less than 700, else all the Danish would buy in Germany. these are the prizes for Germany: 

32 GB Microsoft Surface without Touch Cover: 479 Euro

32 GB Microsoft Surface with Touch Cover: 579 Euro

64 GB Microsoft Surface with Touch Cover: 679 Euro

i thought you wanted the Surface Pro though?

No, I always knew the Pro would be waaaay out of my financial reach - as now the RT.

Wouldn't surprise me if they went for ~579 Euro (Around 4000-4500 DKR) here too.
Which is just utterly rediculous. MS is entering Apple market strategy territory here.
"We have a new fancy gadget. It's not better than what is already available, but be prepared to pay a hughly illogical high price just because of that."

Why the hell would people part with that kind of money, when they can pick up a faster/more powerfull, and better yet free-to-install-on-whatever-application-you-want, laptop for less money?
Because it's a tablet? Buy an Android tablet instead. It's cheaper and a well tested system.
(I'm going to do that, if the price on the Surface isn't dropped within the first 6 months, or comes on Xmas sale)
Because it's got a detachable keyboard? "Apple sheep"...

Someone please explain me the logic in it if someone chooses the Surface, at that price, over a laptop.... I sure as hell can't.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 17, 2012 4:31:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
Because it's a tablet? Buy an Android tablet instead. It's cheaper and a well tested system.

Yeah, Shaunna and I went with an Android tablet PC and we have no complaints whatsoever.  They do everything we need and the available apps are often free or very low cost, so it is quite cost effective to add greater versatility to the original setup.  In fact, I have a niece who recently switched from her iPad to an Android, and she is over the moon with how much more she can do with it connectivity-wise over the iPad  Moreover, if you shop wisely you can pick up a decent 10.1" pad online for under $200 US.

As for the Surface RT going for $500, well that is way too much for a bottom of the line unit.  To have made any noticable dent on Apple's market share, I would have thought MS' pricing would have been a lot more competitive than that.

Oh well, I'm not too worried about it, given I already have a pad that fulfills my needs.

October 17, 2012 7:05:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
"We have a new fancy gadget. It's not better than what is already available, but be prepared to pay a hughly illogical high price just because of that."

i guess they are trying to say that it is better than the tablets already avaiable.

reading the posts on Wincustomize regarding the Surface (not so much on other websites) it seemed many people here indeed think (or thought) the Surface is a superior product. so why not a higher price than an Android tablet from a Chinese manufacturer? it's about the price range of a Samsung Galaxy Note.

personally i do not think the Surface is good at all. but for other reasons. i do not like the 16:9 format. it is ugly (personal opinion, i just will not spend money for bad design, i do not wear tshirts in public as well ). nobody has ever mentioned battery life. it somehow seems to depend on a keyboard (the top model even comes with a stylus) - is it usable with touch? does it have apps, will there ever be apps (yes, i know it has a few)?

and i am still convinced using desktop apps on a tablet will be a really bad user experience.

October 17, 2012 5:20:07 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

They seem to have adopted the strategy that the more expensive it is, the more appealing it will be.  Kinda like Apple in that regard.  I don't expect that to be a highly successful strategy, but people tend not to admit expensive mistakes, even to themselves, so the high cost, once paid, becomes a feature rather than a bug.

I, on the other hand, made a huge mistake buying an Audi 5000 in 1984.

October 17, 2012 7:19:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Daiwa,
I, on the other hand, made a huge mistake buying an Audi 5000 in 1984

October 17, 2012 8:23:49 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

No shit, Sherlock.

October 17, 2012 8:25:12 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Had to pony up cash to get the dealer to take it in trade for its replacement.  Had. To. Pay. Him.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000625   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.