BIOS Upgrade for Asus G73JH: Solved a heat issue - who knew?

By on October 15, 2012 1:49:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Supreme Shogun

Join Date 11/2005
+5

Taking a break from FE,  I decided to load up ol Skyrim today,  added some new mods I hadn't checked out before.  I could only play about 30 minutes before the laptop would just shut down with no warning.  Found  that back of the laptop where the two fans/huge exhaust ports was really warm.  Spent a lot of time downloading and making sure I had the latest drivers.  Before, that I jiggled a bunch of options on/off.   I even tried someone's advice of disabling application control and forcing the card to use its own settings for AA and Anisoptropy.   This time it lasted even shorter and was so hot,  you could cook off of.  I am so lucky didn't melt anything in there. 

Long story short, after using Google to unlock the mysteries of the universe, other Asus owners of the same model say that a BIOS upgrade fixes an issue where the graphic card gets overclocked way high by default, thus causing heat.  I never done this but luckily it was easy to do with a flash drive. 

6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 15, 2012 2:56:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wonder if this goes for my G73JW. I have SMBIOS 2.6 from 05.08.2010

October 15, 2012 4:01:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I wonder if my heat issue was related: http://forums.wincustomize.com/419510

October 15, 2012 8:00:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

who knew?

I knew....but mischieviously decided not to tell you....

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 15, 2012 10:54:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have the same laptop as you Supreme Shogun and also went through a really bad heat issue stage where it would shut down to prevent damage. Updating the Bios helped as well but ultimately it needed to be cleaned out of dust - there was a massive build up of it.

October 15, 2012 2:57:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting joasoze,
I wonder if this goes for my G73JW. I have SMBIOS 2.6 from 05.08.2010

It probably won't hurt to have the latest BIOS from the manufacturer.

Quoting Ekko_Tek,
I have the same laptop as you Supreme Shogun and also went through a really bad heat issue stage where it would shut down to prevent damage. Updating the Bios helped as well but ultimately it needed to be cleaned out of dust - there was a massive build up of it.

I understand that one day heat will be an issue if that happens.  But it was specifically happening during Skyrim.  I could play CIV or FE or HOMM6 all I want, nothing of the sort ever happened like that. 

October 16, 2012 1:27:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Update:  Need to Flash lates vBios to be able to use latest AMD/ATI drivers and CCC.   

Damn I thought that was it.  The journey continues.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.