Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Upgrade problems

By on October 14, 2012 10:56:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

moorpipe

Join Date 09/2004

A few days back I received an email from Stardock introducing Fences 2.0. Although I wasn't too exited about the new features (see note), I decided to give it a try. I already use Fences Pro as part of my long running Object Desktop subscription. So I went to the Store, clicked on My Downloads, downloaded Fences 2.0 and installed it.

Quite an adventure that was! Actually, it's still going on.

To be honest I have to blame myself, because I ignored signs that "upgrading" might not be such a good idea. The first sign was that Fences Pro didn't want me to upgrade. The upgrade check within the program warned me: "You're up to date! Thank you for using Fences." The second indication was the installation folder. On my 64-bit windows 7 system Fences Pro was installed in C:\Program Files\Stardock\Fences Pro; the Fences 2 installer wanted me to put Fences in C:\Program Files (x86)\Fences. That's odd! The third hint was that the Fences 2 installer never showed or complained about the fact that Fences Pro was already installed.

Anyway, the installation of Fences 2 itself went smoothly.

Fences Pro was still up and running! What to do? Well, I guessed just start Fences 2, maybe it will complain about Fences Pro running and maybe it will ask to uninstall Fences Pro. My guess was wrong. I got three options: 1. Try Fences (Evaluate Fences for 30 days) 2. Purchase Fences (Buy a Fences license online ($9.99)) 3. Unlock previous purchase (If you have already purchased Fences, unlock it here). None of the options seemed to be valid to me, but option 3 was close enough. I needed to "Activate purchased features". Then the lights went out.

"There was a problem unlocking Fences. Please try again. If you continue to receive this message, please contact support@stardock.com for assistence." and... "Fences does not appear to be loaded. You may need to reinstall Fences."

I did. Fences 2 is running now (btw I lost my settings along the way), but Fences Pro is still on my system and start menu and I don't know how to get rid of it (there is no uninstall). Fences 2 seems to be working fine, but the upgrade procedure is a disgrace.

Does somebody know how to get rid of the Fences Pro remainders?

Thanks!

note: desktop pages: I don't use a lot of fences, so I wouldn't need pages full of them. folder portal: I also didn't see why I would need folder portals - I use Windows Explorer for that. Of course this is based on personal experience and could differ with others.

5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 15, 2012 12:13:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's pretty clear that Fences 2 is a debacle for upgraders from Fences Pro. Upgraders should have been told to remove Fences Pro before installing Fences 2 as well as how to accomplish that task. And they should have told us that it needs to go in the Programs directory, not Programs (386).  My suggestion for getting rid of any program is to use a 3rd party unistaller program rather than the uninstall filethat comes with the program. Don't get a free program; buy a decent one. I've had good experiences with Your Uninstaller 2010 (the most recent version). It will uninstall programs that don't provide uninstall programs as seems the case with Fences Pro. 

If you stick with the provided uninstall files that come with a program, then you should download the free Everything program (or something similar) that will find anything on your computer, fast (once it builds its database). Once you uninstall a program, use Everything to look for any remnants, usually simply by typing the program's name in the search box. 

Even using Your Installer 2010 didn't get rid of all the leftover bits of Fences Pro. It was hiding all over the place in bits and pieces. I think I got everything with Everything. Unfortunately, Fences 2 will still not load on my machine. I think it has something to do with another desktop organizing program I have been using called Winstep Extreme, which has its own problems. I disabled it but didn't uninstall it. I have a "ticket" with Stardock Support but haven't received a reply. 

It would also have been helpful if Stardock would have organized its forums with a special Fences 2 category so we don't have to deal with previous versions when looking for ways to deal with Fences 2 problems. And Stardock muddies the waters by its ridiculous naming process. First there was Fences, then Fences Pro, and now Fences 2, which they have insanely decided to just call Fences again. I give them my vote for the Mitt Romney award for elitism: they live in the unreal world of software insiders and don't know or give a damn about the "47%" of us who are just, in their eyes, "dumb, ignorant, stupid, lazy" (you choose the word) end-users.

October 15, 2012 12:39:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting molson5491,
It would also have been helpful if Stardock would have organized its forums with a special Fences 2 category

This section of the forums has 2 subsets...one is 'fences' the other is 'fences beta'.

Fences 2 is beta...

October 15, 2012 12:48:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Also you may wish to check here....

http://forums.wincustomize.com/430840 

Typically support issues, particularly for Beta releases are catered for in the.....Support Forum.

It's just one of those 'ridiculous naming processes'...

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 15, 2012 7:22:39 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Jafo: I think you missed the launch last week.  Fences 2 is no longer beta.

October 15, 2012 7:41:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ah....that'll be the flu I was dying from.....

Either way there's a specific support thread for Fences 2 issues...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.