Put steam games in a certain fence

How do I get steam game shortcuts to go into a specific folder by default?

By on October 13, 2012 2:16:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Kamidan

Join Date 03/2006

Hello,

How do I force Fences to put my Steam games shortcuts into my games fence?

It wants to keep putting them into my inernet links fence instead of my games fence.

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 15, 2012 8:29:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Is there a way to add a custom rule that will put steam game shortcuts that go on my desktop into my games fence instead of the internet links fence?

October 17, 2012 11:42:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hello

I have alot of Steam Games.

Here is what I have done. I went into steam and made sure to have a shortcut for each created to my desktop. I then put all of those icons into a folder and then i simply moved that folder to another so that they would all be under something like:

C:\Steam Game Icons

I just then created a custom sized portal right on the desktop to that folder. That way I can have all of my Steam Games in a folder of their own.

Alternatively, you could just have all of Steam Game icons directly on your desktop, create a custom fence, then just select them and drag them into it.

I have 3 monitors and I have alot of games, So I used the pages feature to leave myself plenty of space on my main desktop, then all i do is go to the left page and all of my game icons are taking up all of my monitor.

I apply the same principle to another Page I have when I move Right, off the main page and then all of my Show, Movies and Media files are listed in separate Portals.

I hope I understood correctly and that my suggestion helps

October 17, 2012 12:05:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Kamidan is looking for a new "Sorting/organizing" rule for his steam game links, I think. Every new steam game link on desktop should automatically move to the correct game fence.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 2, 2012 1:47:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting thomas-k,
Kamidan is looking for a new "Sorting/organizing" rule for his steam game links, I think. Every new steam game link on desktop should automatically move to the correct game fence.

Yes exactly.  Every time that I install a steam game and allow steam to make a desktop icon, I'd like to make sure that it goes into the fence that I want it in, instead of sticking it into my internet links fence.

November 2, 2012 7:37:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The sorting options are pretty good in Fences but I'm not sure what commonality the Steam shortcuts have that you can sort on.

November 2, 2012 4:13:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, you can't yet. The only difference between Steam shortcuts and normal shortcuts is that the URL (they're a web shortcut, aka *.url) starts with "steam://". You can just send every .url file into a certain fence, but if you ever send a web shortcut to desktop they'll be sent there too.

I wish they'd add a way to create a sort rule depending on the protocol, so that "http://" could be differently sorted from "ftp://" or in this case "steam://"!

December 1, 2012 4:48:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I second that. Sorting based on url protocol would be a great feature.

November 17, 2013 6:43:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Old thread, but I can't see this mentioned anywhere else...

Sorting based on sub-folder location would be nice to have.

If an icon points to a file in a specific sub-folder it should be put in selected fence.

The icons that take up most of my desktop and change often are game shortcuts.

January 27, 2014 1:55:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This is mad! This Issue is so old and not solved. Shame on Stardock. Please, this could not so difficult. All Steam Links start with steam://rungameid/*

How can we Sort it?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000562   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.