Issues and request

By on October 10, 2012 3:43:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

fenceuser

Join Date 10/2012

1. An issue

I connect a Drobo Pro to my Win7-64 SP1 Ultimate. This device is not exactly like a NAS because it's not "standalone". One needs to boot Windows and wait a few minutes for the 16 To Drobo Pro harddisks to mount themselves.

Here is the issue : Some of the Folder Portals I created with Fences link to folders on my Drobo Pro. When I first installed Fences and created the Folder Portals, there was no problem, because the Drobo Pro was already mounted.

But here is the issue : when I reboot, Fences starts before the Drobo is mounted and the corresponding Folder Portals appear empty. A few minutes later, when the Drobo Pro is fully mounted and running, the Fences Folder Portals stay empty. If I double click in them, they open an Explorer window into the desired location, that's all right, but the Folder Portals themselves stay empty.

Could you implement the equivalent of the Explorer F5 Refresh keyboard shortcut ? Or find another way to help Fences realize the Folder Portals should be filled with Files once my Drobo Pro is mounted ?

2. An unrelated second request 

The Folder portals offer the abillity to display their content as a List (which is very very useful) but the regular basic Fences don't. Could you upgrade the basic regular Fences so that they offer this display option as well ? My Fences are packed with long lists of Files and displaying them as a List would really help readability.

Best Regards.

3 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 10, 2012 6:07:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

1. An issue

A similar issue was reported in another thread (that I offcourse cannot locate) about portaled network folders not showing up when there's no net connection.
As far as I can remember it's been noted and has been put on the list.

2. An unrelated second request

Though I do not need/require that feature myself, I find it rather usefull.

October 10, 2012 11:09:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

great ! I hope you guys will make Million Dollars with Fences, you deserve it.

another request which comes to mind :

the ability to create TITLE fences. They would not contain any file, just the ability to name them with a customized TITLE. Why ? Because let's face it, Fences is nothing Less then Windows 9. A total reinvention of the Explorer. Instant access to everything, AMAZING. 

So we scroll thru Desktop Pages, but if we go very fast, it's agreable to be able to read the Page's Title in Big Letters.

It's already possible to create an Empty Fence which will serve as a Title, but it comes with the unnecessary underneath empty portion which could contain the files and for a good reason doesn't.

October 11, 2012 1:01:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hello,

I have a Drobo FS which is Network attached

I am having the exact same problem. I found fences, tried it, setup all of my fences and Portals the way I liked it. Love the software so I purchased it. I did not have a problem with anything until I restarted the computer the next day.

Now all of the Portals I have created are still there, and I can double click on labels to open the folder the Portal is pointing to, but I have no access to whats in that folder from the Portal I have created.

Request:

1. I also agree that I would like to be able to list files and icons by "List" view
2. I know this is somewhat unrelated, but I have multiple pages, would it be possible to add a feature to create a custom sized Portal to lets say, your favorite Internet Browser, so that you could have pages with a Browser Portal? Or say a portal that would display your favorite video or music player? I like the fact that portals stay open and give you accessibility that you normally wouldn't have. That is why I would love to see portals to directly accessing software.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001296   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.